5am workout, how do you do it??

Options
ninakale
ninakale Posts: 49 Member
I am trying to switch from a post work work-out to pre work, but have such a hard time getting out of bed. How were you able to make it stick? When I have been able to do, my energy level is half that of after work. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :yawn:

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I wake up every morning between 3:30 and 4am without an alarm. Have done so for about 25 years now. Started doing 5am workout a few months ago. It is great to be doing something fun and beneficial with my time before work rather than just sitting in my recliner surfing the net.
  • ninakale
    ninakale Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @raystark, Lucky for you! My husband is the same way and is leaving the house for the gym every day at 4:30 am.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Set your alarm (obviously). Make sure you go to bed a little earlier. Lay out your kit before you go to bed. When the alarm goes, don't hit snooze, just get straight up. Loo. Dress. Quick drink. And out the door. Don't stop to check mail, read stuff, or in any other way dilly dally. Just tell yourself you mean business, and act as if you do. You'll be fine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I've always been an afternoon lifter.

But I would imagine a quick shower and caffeine would get me going.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. I'll be honest, it takes me two different alarm clocks plus a sunrise simulator to wake my butt up, but I have my workout gear all set out so I just blast motivating music and crawl my butt out of bed.
    It took me about two weeks to start getting used to the schedule change, and I'm in bed by 8:30 most nights so I can be asleep by 9!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    My alarm wakes me up, but then I work out sleepy as hell. About 10 minutes in I start to feel fully awake though. The hardest part is getting out of bed to do it.
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Hang in there! My hubby and I get up at 3:30 and hit the gym by 4:30am. We have been for 1-1/2 years. Once you've been doing it a while it will become second nature and you'll miss it if you don't get up and go. We both feel we feel better have more energy all day long.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    First you need to get to bed early, after that you just get used to waking up early. My usual schedule is up by 3:30, out the door by 4 AM.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    I can totally relate. My workouts now are right after work at 3:30pm for about 1 1/2 hours. Every once in awhile I get up at 4 and do it before work. It's hard to though, I have a hard time going to bed before 11. I think I'm going to try harder though. I do know that I still tend to come home and do at least 30 minutes after work, (even after doing the 4am workout) it's habit for me.
  • nmg8
    nmg8 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to bed earlier until you get used to it - and when the alarm goes off, just GET UP before you can convince yourself not to!!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    In the words of Arnold "Learn to Sleep Faster"

In seriousness.. you just need to want it.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If you want it you'll do it, if you don't you'll make excuses. I get up absurdly early on Saturdays, 4:45am. I go to bed early, set my phone alarm next to the bed and another across the room. I get up immediately, turn off the second alarm, turn on all the lights and start moving!

If you can do it for a few weeks you'll reset your internal clock and it will be a habit.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I LOVE WORKING OUT IN THE MORNING. You just have to want it. YOu need that drive. I was never a morning person and now I love getting up at 430 to be at the gym by 5am. It sets your day off on the right track.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I already have to be up at 4:45am to get ready for work - I can't imagine getting up earlier! But when I didn't have to be at work so early, I would sleep in my workout clothes so I could roll out of bed, put shoes on and go. It helped, especially on cold mornings. :-)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think I'd have to go to sleep in my workout clothes. I remember reading an article about a young tennis player, I think it was Jennifer Capriati, and she did that.
  • ruckstande
    ruckstande Posts: 2
    Options
    I learned of a couple apps for smartphones. One called sleep cycler for iOS and Android Cycle for Android. Both apps work in similar ways for people who typically sleep alone. Just tell the app what time you want to go to bed(they remind you) and what time you want to wake up. Plug the phone in and lay it on the bed next to you. It will monitor your sleep sounds and movements and will adjust the alarm depending on how restless of a nights sleep you had. It worked great for me so far trying to get up at 5.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I wake up every morning between 3:30 and 4am without an alarm. Have done so for about 25 years now. Started doing 5am workout a few months ago. It is great to be doing something fun and beneficial with my time before work rather than just sitting in my recliner surfing the net.

What do you do, go to bed at 8pm?
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I found a quote that said, "I exercise in the morning before my brain knows what I'm doing." That's what I do...I get up, get dressed and out the door to the gym I go. Don't give myself any time to think about it, am fine once I get there and ALWAYS glad I went.

A decent bedtime helps and you just have to commit to it. Eventually you will find how good you feel on days you work out in the AM vs. the days you don't. Its nice to get it done early so you can enjoy the rest of your day without wondering when you are going to fit in a workout.

Good luck!
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    You get used to it. I'll be honest, it takes me two different alarm clocks plus a sunrise simulator to wake my butt up, but I have my workout gear all set out so I just blast motivating music and crawl my butt out of bed.
    It took me about two weeks to start getting used to the schedule change, and I'm in bed by 8:30 most nights so I can be asleep by 9!

We have a little three year old alarm clock who wakes us up by 5:45 even if the alarm breaks...