Specific food labeling question

Options
I have two cans of Freshlike corn in front of me. Can 1= "Whole kernel Sweet corn-No salt added" Ingredients(shouldn't it be contents?): sweet corn and water. 1/2 cup= 130 calories. Can 2= "Whole kernel Sweet corn" Ingredients: Whole golden kernel corn, water, sugar!, salt. 1/2 cup= 90 calories. 40 fewer calories in the one that has added sugar. What am I missing here? And which one would be better to eat- the lower calorie one with added sugar or the extra 40 calorie one with no added salt? :(

Replies

• suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You may want to check if one can serving is for drained corn and the other is for undrained. That may explain the calorie difference. If that is not it, then I've got no clue.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This is always hard for canned foods I think. The portion size includes the surrounding liquid. Also, there is no governing body that decides how much water is allowed in a can of veggies. So Can A may be almost all corn, with just enough liquid to keep it from drying out, whereas Can B could be 1/2 water. This would result in a significant difference in calories.
  • Gauntlettes
    Gauntlettes Posts: 16
    Options
    Same size can, same size of servings and portions. 1/2 cup (125g) and 3.5 servings each.

I didn't realize the water might make a difference, but I guess it would if there is the extra salt and sugar added. In the sugar-added one, there are "4 grams" of sugar listed on the label. That is only an added 4.5 calories per gram of sugar, making the total (3.5x18=) 63 calories total worth of sugar added. So I have a 455 calorie (130x3.5) full can and a (90x3.5) 315 calorie can. Minus the sugar, the first can is still (455-63=) 392 calories, so I have 77 calories more worth of actual corn (about an entire serving give or take) in the can where sugar is added. Hmmm mind blown. Thanks for the replies!