I need a strength training workout that I can do at home...

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I know this has probably been posted many times before, but I would really appreciate some suggestions. I can't really afford a gym membership right now... I was using my dad's P90X and I got through the first phase, but half of the DVD's don't work so I think I'm ready to just kick that aside and figure something else out to do. Can anyone recommend a strength training routine that I can do with only dumbbells? I have heard people talk about the new rules of lifting for women, but I didn't know if I could do that with just dumbbells...

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm using Joyce Verdal's Bottoms Up. It is an older workout, but it is in two steps, upper body and ab, then lower body, cand back. I like it. I picked it up on Amazon
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would say Les Pump or Chelean Extreme. They both use weights. There is also the Slim Series. Let me know if you like to know more about these videos.

Julianne
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels No more trouble zones is my favourite. Eight circuits, each circuit is 5 moves in 2 sets.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I would say to put your own together based on either working in splits or circuit style total body training. You don't need to follow someone else's specific outlined plan. All you need is to find a weight/rep range that works for you and combine it with cardio.

I'm not big on home video based workouts because most are based around progressions that more or less revolve around showing you VISIBLE results but no real functional gains. I know a lot of people who went through programs like ChaLean Extreme and all the Jillian Michaels programs out there who burned fat off and shaped their bodies, sure, btu they weren't really any better athletically when they were done. They weren't really any stronger, faster, moe agile, or anything. I think a good program should emphasize showing you functional fitness gains just as much as visible ones.
  • janinebudgell
    janinebudgell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you can afford $9.99 I say order Jillian Micheal 30day shred. I LOVE IT and you only need a mat and hand weights! you can modify it as you advance pass level three and do steps from all three levels with more weight or more reps on your own! The 2 mins of cardio is amazing and you don't need to buy and expensive treadmill and run for hours because it gets your heart pumping just as well. Of course when the sun is shining mix it up with a run or walk outside for fresh air and peace of mind :)

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I LOVE this thread!! Based on people's answers, I have just ordered Jillian Michaels 30day shred from ebay! :bigsmile:

Question though, which hand weights should I get, 1kg, 2kg or 5kg?
  • hesn92
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have done a couple Jillian Michaels workouts before but I'm not that interested in them because it seems like her workouts are more geared towards losing weight based on how she does a lot of repetitions and you use pretty light weights.

I went to bodybuilding.com and did a search for dumbbell-only routines and I found a couple that I might try... anyone have thoughts on that? Here is the link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw3.htm
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    she does a lot of repetitions and you use pretty light weights.

which weights?
  • hesn92
    Options
    Or I was thinking of using this database of exercises and finding all the ones that use dumbbells and creating my own routine....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • hesn92
    Options
    she does a lot of repetitions and you use pretty light weights.

which weights?

3 or 5lb...
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I have no weight equipment at home so I got this:

You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises
    Mark Lauren, Joshua Clark

(less than $15 w/ shipping on amazon)

I have not started any workouts, but the theory behind it is sound and proven. Nothing says you have to follow a DVD.
  • jackytj
    jackytj Posts: 7
    Options
    Hey Hesn92! have you considered trying any of the other workouts program such as Chalean extreme? CLX is great for strength training!

www.BeatTheTrend.com
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've been using www.gainfitness.com

You personalize it for home and for dumbbells and it puts together a routine for you.
  • hesn92
    Options
    Hey Hesn92! have you considered trying any of the other workouts program such as Chalean extreme? CLX is great for strength training!

www.BeatTheTrend.com

That looks like a great program, I just don't want to spend that much money Lol :)
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey you! I was thinking the same thing! Getting a little bored with p90x. I think I saw in a a different post you could do most of the workouts of new rules.. from home but you keep lifting heavier so at some point you'll have to put out some $ for heavier weights. I'll keep posted to your updates and this forum maybe someone will say otherwise
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is the way to go! There are several free plans available and any that involve barbells can easily be adapted for dumb bells. I have to do that because I can lift around 30 pounds for a lot of things but not quite the 45 lb barbell.
  • medoria
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have done a couple Jillian Michaels workouts before but I'm not that interested in them because it seems like her workouts are more geared towards losing weight based on how she does a lot of repetitions and you use pretty light weights.

Well, what weights you use is totally up to you and as you progress you need to up your weights so I really dont understand your critic.
    And what I do to add some challenge is do the same legs two moves in a row, it works wonders.
  • medoria
    Options
    I LOVE this thread!! Based on people's answers, I have just ordered Jillian Michaels 30day shred from ebay! :bigsmile:

Question though, which hand weights should I get, 1kg, 2kg or 5kg?

No experience go with 1 kg, experience but just not trained in a while, or very trained 5 kg. Only thing is if you start to light you need to change up fast and its kind of unessasery to buy a couple of dumbells and only use them for a month or so.
  • medoria
    Options
    I know a lot of people who went through programs like ChaLean Extreme and all the Jillian Michaels programs out there who burned fat off and shaped their bodies, sure, btu they weren't really any better athletically when they were done. They weren't really any stronger, faster, moe agile, or anything. I think a good program should emphasize showing you functional fitness gains just as much as visible ones.

This says more about the persons who did the programs then the program in itself. If you dont up your weights and always push yourself you will see no progression and this goes for any excerciseprogram. Training alone at home is a extra challenge and not for everyone and its important to set new goals.