Exercise suggestions.

Options
Hi, I started weight training this week and it was my 2nd session. I've been advised to take a break day inbetween each work out day inorder for the muscles to recover. What am I suppose to do during my rest days. I really feel like I should be doing some sort of exercise and actually crave to be doing something.. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Any form of Cardio
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Cardio. Anything that gets your heart rate up for a extended period of time.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Cardio is what I would do. Are you a runner? If not, C25K might be a good idea (a great way to start running) since you should be doing that every other day as well.
  • splendifikiss
    splendifikiss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yup, any form of cardio - at least 20 minutes. I also do some yoga on occasion. Alternatively, you could do upper body one day, lower the next and alternate. I tend to take a cardio only day followed with ab exercises.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Cardio, yoga, pilates - something other than weight training.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Yep, cardio! Running, swimming, biking, dancing, etc :)
  • lsang
    lsang Posts: 22
    Options
    You need to work out your arms one day and your legs the other day. You are lifting everyday, just not using the same muscels. Do cardio at least three times a week, but I would recommend giving your body one full day a week to rest and recover.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    walking, dancing, bike riding, exercise dvds, swimming, yoga, pilates, volleyball,water aerobics, zumba, just find something you like and stick with it
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yep, cardio...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like to pole dance on my rest days
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In addition to the options listed above, you can also split your weight routine so that you aren't working the same muscle group two days in a row but are still doing weights every day you workout. I prefer a split routine because I love weights and don't feel like I've worked out if I don't do them. ;-) My favorite split is something like this:

Day 1--Chest & Triceps, Cardio, Stretch
    Day 2--Legs, Cardio, Stretch
    Day 3--Back & Biceps, Cardio, Stretch
    Day 4--Shoulders & Abs, Cardio, Stretch
    Day 5--Rest
    Day 6--Total Body Weights, Cardio, Stretch
    Day 7--Rest
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Cardio like a recumbent bike, or walking on a treadmill on incline.
  • glbragg
    glbragg Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weight train on Mon, Wed, and Fri then on Tues and Thur I do an ab routine. I usually do some form of cardio on each of the days. Then I rest on Sat and Sun.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    You could always just show up at one of my Zumba classes! I'd give you a good cardio workout! :D

Seriously, though - I agree with the cardio fans.

I would do some sort of strength training every day and have to tell myself "NO!" on my "off" days.

Good for you for wanting to do more instead of the other way around.
  • beenisafe
    beenisafe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your ideas. I just wasnt sure if rest day meant complete rest or cadio. I as afraid cuz I thought by doing cardio I would still be using my muscles.
    MeliciousGibs I would love to joint ur Zumba classes and have been wanting to do so at our local centre but the classes are in the evenings and no one to look after the kids :( Hopefully one day.
    Thank you all.