long time runners / trainers/ a little advice needed

Options
Snikkee
Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
I just started running about 5 months ago. I could barely run for a minute straight to begin with, I worked my way up to a half marathon that I completed two weeks ago in 2 hours and 43 minutes. I was not able to run the full 13.1 miles, but ran about 10 and walked 3 on and off. I run everyday and try to improve my endurance but have thus far not been able to a whole lot. I taught and trained myself up until this point with little or no help at all. Some days I feel I could run for an hour straight and other barely 10 minutes. How do I gain better endurance? I also think what is holding me back is my breathing while running. any suggestions?

Replies

• 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your half!

I try to remember to breathe in for two (seconds or steps, whatever is easiest for you to count) and out for two, and really try to put some force behind my breathing out; really push the air out (if that makes sense?). [Edit: but try a couple of different patterns like 2 and 2, 3 and 3; find a pattern that feels good for you.]

On gaining better endurance, what does a typical week look like for you right now (number of runs, distance, intensity)? Have you tried scaling back your mileage a bit for a week and then increasing again? I've found that to be a pretty effective way to work through some blocks.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    Since the half marathon I have been working on long distance running. I dont run too hard or too fast because I cant get my breathing down when I try to increase my speed. I find myself out of breath really fast. What I have been doing lately is trying to push past that mental block of " I cant run anymore" and go a bit farther then I think I can, then when I stop it isnt for very long maybe 30 seconds to a minute and get right back into running again, though some days it is more of a jog.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    I also do strength training an hour everyday, I think that has really helped me as well.