I don't know how to eat more!

Options
20shan08
20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
My goal is 1300 cals per day, I am 5'8, 24 years old, lost 50lbs altogether, 30 of those from MFP starting March 8th... This past week - week and a half I've lost nothing, nor have a gained anything. But I'd like to continue losing, as I still have about 23 lbs left to go!

Everyone is telling me to eat more, but I keep myself full all day. Now, I'm never going to be those people who drink protein shakes and eat grains... Let me show give you an example of my diary and hopefully someone can tell me if and how it should be changed:

Breakfast - multigrain cheerios & milk w/half banana OR all bran bar w/milk OR fibre one bar w/ milk
Snack - almost always an individual pack of almonds
Lunch - Sandwhich OR Weight Watchers meal (I know, they're probably horrible for you)
Snack - Almmost always a cheese stick
Snack - Fruit, veggies or 100 cal snack
Supper - Steak, potatos, corn OR Chicken, rice, veggie... something like that.
Excercise everyday - 30 min walk or 20 mins on treadmill

So, like I said I am full all day, the only time I actually feel myself getting hungry is before supper. If I don't excercise, I would be able to make the 1300 cals pretty easy, but when I burn 250-300 cals, I can't eat them back. Someone posted somewhere that I don't need to excercise every single day, but I figured 30 mins isnt that much... Aren't you supposed to have 30 mins a day?

Please give any suggestions or advice, I'm willing to listen to anything...

Replies

• 20shan08
    Options
    I meant "or 20 mins on elliptical* not treadmill
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Ditch the weight watchers meal and go for something more real.
  • w1thh3art
    w1thh3art Posts: 17
    Options
    First of all, good for you for losing 50lbs!

So, I'm thinking a couple things. Number 1, you can add weight training a couple times a week in place of the elliptical or walking. Studies show that muscle speeds up your metabolism. It might also make things a little more interesting by breaking up the monotony. Even if the weight training is just doing exercises using your body weight like squats, pushups, lunges, etc.

For diet, try eating less starchy carbs (ie potatoes, rice, corn) and try adding in some leafy greens (google different kinds of salads. Yum!) and different brightly coloured vegetables. The more colours the better!

Also, join Pinterest for motivation! I've been on there for just a couple of weeks and people add some amazing recipes and work out ideas along with motivational pics. It's great for motivation!

I hope this helps and good luck!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Your carbs are too high. Too much processed foods as well. Try cutting out the bread, the pre-packaged cereal etc and replacing them with clean alternatives....you should see a difference almost immediately.
  • 20shan08
    Options
    Thanks SO much!! It's always great to hear what others have to say, I will try this!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You are doing an awesome job. Keep doing what you are doing.

Can you tweak it. Sure. But if you've only gone 1 week without losing, then there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Weight fluctuations happen. As you get lower to goal weight, your loss will slow.

ETA: I was just going through your post some more. Yea, you definitely should be eating your exercise calories back. What is your BMR? I'm thinking much higher than 1300. You really should up your calories some more. Start with 100 calories a day. That's just an extra piece of fruit or glass of chocolate milk after your workout.
  • 20shan08
    Options
    I thought that my carbs may have been too high too, but MFP gives me 206 a day, but I always have between 100-150 left. I mean this is just an example, I do know the pre packaged meals are probably garbage. I'm having problems with breakfast though, I'm a single mom so I just like to grab and go, I hate yogurt... any suggestions?
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, add peanut butter or to your afternoon veggies/fruit. You said you feel hungry before dinner and this could also help curb that. Snacks don't just have to be 100 calories. It's all about trial and error when you have to start eating more in a healthy manner.
  • 20shan08
    Options
    Thanks a lot!! :D I know, after losing over 50lbs, i can't be doing too horribly! And I do understand it is going to slow down quite a bit. Gunna try replacing some carbs and see how that goes :)
  • nic_ci
    nic_ci Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't want to eat more...you should switch your food up...do you really eat the same thing everyday!!!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I thought that my carbs may have been too high too, but MFP gives me 206 a day, but I always have between 100-150 left. I mean this is just an example, I do know the pre packaged meals are probably garbage. I'm having problems with breakfast though, I'm a single mom so I just like to grab and go, I hate yogurt... any suggestions?

Protein powder and fruit. You can buy the huge tubs for around $20 and they go a long way. I blend fruit in mine for around a 300 cal meal. The protein keeps me feeling fuller longer and helps me get through the day!
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great progress. Sounds like you have made some real changes and now you have plateaued out based on those original changes.

I find the absolute best way to keep people on track is prepartaion. That is, YOU prepare your food and YOU prepare when you're gunna eat it. It seems that many of the things your are eating are their through convienience. You need to develop the habit of making tasty nutritious meals in bulk.

When I make something for dinner I'll always be sure to make five or six servings. That way I know that I have something tasty and healthy and CONVIENIENT whenever I need it. Lots of stuff will keep for a few days and you can take meals into work with you in containers (just avoid heating your food in plastic).

As for your meal composition, I'd move away from the starchy carbohydrates and load up that plate with lots of different veg. Prepare it any way you like (I HATE veg so I always make a soup, although its probably better described as a paste). Have half your plate made up from veggies, and the remainder using a lean protein source. These guys have it absolutley nailed, have a read, adn let us know how you get on.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/pn-my-plate

JU
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    avoid all diet and lite foods, eat full fat/calorie versions.
    Add olive oil to soups, sauces and salads.
    Add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    Drink more cals (milk and juice) full of cals, don't fill you up
    eat nut butters with your snacks
    eat nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruit instead of current snacks, of add to salads.
    Eat higher MF% milk products (eg. instead of fat free yogurt, eat 3% yogurt)
    etc
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Congrats on your weight loss! Someone else posted about adding strength training - great idea. More muscle = more calories burned! Add more fruits and whole foods to your diet. Greek yogurt...great source of protein! Hard boiled eggs. A healthy protein shake or smoothie. Just a few ideas for you.
  • 20shan08
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it, I will be trying all of this!
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Since your already full, and seem to have a pretty balanced diet that works for you , you could always use these as discretionary calories. You could use these calories to have a little dessert a couple of times a week or in case you go out to dinner sometime.