exercise before or after dinner in the evening?

Options
Hi

Which is best?

I find that mostly do it after dinner probably hour to 2 hours later?

Replies

• Sundance722
    Sundance722 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm no fitness guru but I would do my PM workouts about 2 hours after dinner, which is about an hour before I'm down for the count. In my mind, I believe that I burned off everything that I ate.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I feel sleepy after dinner. And amped after exercise, so exercising after dinner for me would not be good. I like to go right after work and then make dinner, I have a better appetitie. I don't know why one would be better than another, just preference. I just make sure to have a snack before so I'm not running on fumes.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a right answer from a medical perspective. I work out whenever it's most convenient, and usually this is on the way home from work (before dinner), saving me an extra trip later.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi

Which is best?

I find that mostly do it after dinner probably hour to 2 hours later?

I workout before dinner. The thought of dinner spurs me on during my training and motivates me no end :bigsmile:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm usually getting hungry by the time I get home, so I eat and then wait a few hours for my food to digest. That gives me time to get my energy back, and also to get in plenty of drinking so I'm as hydrated as possible before I work out.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    before. Always before. Then when I am done with dinner i can relax for the night. :-)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I workout much better hungry.

And often work at a high enough intensity that food would be coming back out the wrong way if I had a full stomach.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Before dinner, I have a snack (banana or something) before I do exercise and then ensure that I have my dinner within 60 min of getting home.

I end up being sick if I have dinner beforehand :sick:
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    For me its always after. I am diabetic, and I can't exercize when my blood sugar is low. So best to do it within 2 hrs after eating to stablilze my levels.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Before. I snack throughout the day so I make sure I snack right to have energy for my pre-dinner workout.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Normally before Dinner unless...Im meeting friends for dinner then its after....plus I nned to know what calories I have to eat back before hand :)
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually work out before dinner becuase I know if I go home and eat, I will not want to leave the house again.
  • whit1108
    whit1108 Posts: 94
    Options
    I always like working out at 6 pm. I make sure supper is always ready about 5pm and then that leaves me an hour before i workout. then when i come home i spend some family time with the kids and hubby and then its kids bath time, story time and put the kids to bed and then im off to bed. This works good for me then i dont find myself wanting to snack at night because i stay busy when i get home from working out.
  • tflores
    tflores Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just because of time constraints I workout about 1-2 hours after dinner when then kids are in bed. But I would really like to get in the habit of doing it before work in the morning.
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    I always workout before dinner.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I do both :) I go to the gym right after work and then 30 DS after I eat dinner and put my girls to bed. I eat a late snack at work though so I'm not hungry at the gym.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Whatever works into your schedule.

For me. I work out before. I know that I will be too lazy if I wait until after dinner and most of the time my servings at dinner depend on how much I work out :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've read that the optimal time for exercise is in the late afternoon, but every article also says that the best time is the time you'll do it consistently.

I myself probably would do it before dinner because the temptation to skip it afterwards would be too great. But everyone is different.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I go to the gym after work..so before dinner. It is what works best for me. I usually have a dinner that is higher in protein for recovery purposes.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I find working out after a meal to be extremely uncomfortable.

I workout before breakfast, and before dinner.