The red number

You know, the red number you see saying you ate too much of something. I've been eating more and hitting (or JUST UNDER) 3300 calories, so I'm proud of that. But now I'm seeing red in sugars, calcium, vitamin somethingorother, sodium, iron, and fat. Most of this is probably due to lunch at the food truck, but I cant ditch that just yet, I don't have that supplies.

How bad should I worry about the red? My diary is open.

Replies

• sleeper256
    sleeper256 Posts: 10
    Bump
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Nothing to worry about. The limits for most of those things (like sodium) are somewhat arbitrary.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Hmm i would say the instant oatmeal and Raisin bran has the excess of sugar that you might need to check on? i know Raisin Bran has tons of sugar in it..... i would suggest checking fruit juice sugar content before you buy to try to keep your sugar a bit lower?

for excess sodium, try upping your water...
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,162 Member
    If you're having hot dogs/fries everyday i'd seriously rethink your strategy. Even if gaining. Unles you wanna go 6+ months cutting and losing a ton of muscle in the process.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    The milk numbers look like 4 cups each time instead of 2 (based on: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/save-a-lot/2%-reduced-fat-milk-with-vitamin-a-and-d )

If that is true - you may want to consider whether 8 cups of milk through the day is something you want to re-evaluate. Perhaps more water instead?

If it's incorrectly showing as 4 cups, then you automatically reduce quite a few of your numbers!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    nHB7i.png
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    I can only speak for myself, so obviously any advice you receive here you should take with a grain of salt. I would DEFINITELY be concerned with my sodium and sugar intakes (if I were you). They are way too high. In fact, the sodium and sugar that MFP "allots" should be taken as a MAX daily amount, while the others (fat, protein, carbs) are targets you should strive for.

As for "worrying about the red", I do my best to keep my macros balanced according to how I have mine set up. I do low carb and that works for me but it's not for everyone (Though I'd suggest giving it a shot if you find yourself hungry a lot, or getting the "i'm hungry rages" which I was prone to, before low-carbing it). I would suggest staying under the red in general, if weight loss is your goal, but don't go under by too much, or your body might not like you too much :)

Good luck figuring out what works best for you and your body! It's amazing when you find the right balance!