Heavy lifting and exhausted!

Jugie12
Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
Quick question for my fellow iron-pumpers out there: I've got a heavy lifting session scheduled today for upper body but I can barely keep my eyes open today! I got very little sleep last night and I'm exhausted.

Do you just try to work past it usually or do you prefer to reschedule and go in full-throttle when you've had enough rest? I usually just try to lift through it but today is exceptionally rough sleepy-wise.

How do you like to handle this situation? (we've all been there, I know!)

Thanks, buddies!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I know for me, especially on a leg day (the most intense) I cannot put my all into it when I am exhausted. My personal opinion is that you would be better getting home, having a healthy meal, sleeping good, and tackling it tomorrow.

Nothing worse than working out when you're not into it!
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    REST!

If you're that tired, your muscles are tired too ... so rest!
    Otherwise you risk injury, and that's the last thing you need!
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    I have had the same issue for over a year. It takes me 2-3 days to recover from weight training. I rotate lower body/upper body. I've had to stop with heavy lifting and have gone to lighter hand weights and resistance bands.

Nothing like feeling like a total weenie. :-( Grrrrrr.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I just had the same problem recently and I split my routine. I posted about it here and some people gave pretty good suggestions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595889-sleepy-after-weight-training
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    I know for me, especially on a leg day (the most intense) I cannot put my all into it when I am exhausted. My personal opinion is that you would be better getting home, having a healthy meal, sleeping good, and tackling it tomorrow.

Nothing worse than working out when you're not into it!
    Totally agree!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    If you didn't sleep well you probably won't be able to step up. You may not be able to lift as well as last session. No reason not to do it, but don't expect progress. But then, if you have plenty of work out time there is no reason not to schedule the session later.
    However, don't slack off completely do some light cardio.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Unless I'm injured, I never skip a workout.

Take some caffeine and get in there. Or if you're completely exhausted take a nap then do it.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    If you didn't sleep well you probably won't be able to step up. You may not be able to lift as well as last session. No reason not to do it, but don't expect progress. But then, if you have plenty of work out time there is no reason not to schedule the session later.
    However, don't slack off completely do some light cardio.

I think I might go with this one tonight. I don't want to skip but I don't want to dog a heavy session either :-D Thanks, ladies and gents, for your input! I appreciate it!