Gut busting

Options
I can't believe I'm posting this, but I have to do it!!!

I am leaving for Maui in 37 days. :bigsmile: :sad: :love: :smokin: :glasses: :ohwell: These are all my feeling about this, because though I have been dedicated to the cause and doing exceptionally well by my own standards, I've got a gut that just does not want to die. :frown:

I certainly don't expect to be bikini ready in 37 days, but what should I be focusing on to shrink this pooch as much as possible in this time period?? I am aware that I can't spot reduce (I have taken up running the last 2 months) and that muscle burns fat and all that good stuff, but I just want *something* to focus on (whether it works or not, lol!)

TIA for humoring me here.

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am a bit closer to goal than you......but you are younger so it may work.

I have changed my workouts to always include core work, and I see a BIG difference in my shape in 1 months time.

planks
    side planks
    hip raises
    full arm push ups
    crunches
    leg kicks

I am telling you that once I added the planks and hip raises, I have see a wonderful change.

I bet you could lose and inch or 2 off the high and low belly by the time you leave if you really add 1 or 2 x a day for core exercise

you are looking GREAT btw!!
    :flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • MartiJ
    MartiJ Posts: 2
    Options
    The only way to reduce some of that pooch is sit ups or crunches.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
  • jeanns
    jeanns Posts: 58
    Options
    I read somewhere (sorry for the vague citation :happy: ) that if you ease up on the high GI carbs (white bread, potatos, white rice) and eat more MUFAs it can help reduce belly fat, but it's probably just helping all around... can't hurt, though! :laugh: Either way have a blast on your trip! I'm jealous!
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options

planks
    side planks
    hip raises
    full arm push ups
    crunches
    leg kicks

I am telling you that once I added the planks and hip raises, I have see a wonderful change.

I bet you could lose and inch or 2 off the high and low belly by the time you leave if you really add 1 or 2 x a day for core exercise

Oooooh Jeannie, tell me about hip raises and leg kicks (I think I know what you mean by leg kicks, but want to be clear). I am intrigued!

Additional question: Is ab work still effective if you stretch it out over the day? Say if I were to focus on planks during a potty break, then crunches on another? (10 hour days don't leave much extra workout time :grumble: )

And THANK YOU for always be so durned encouraging and not making me feel stupid in the least for asking! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: (you get two back!)
  • NinaDawn79
    Options

Thank you Ghanie, I will look at this when I get home (no YouTube here at work, d'oh!)
  • NinaDawn79
    Options
    I read somewhere (sorry for the vague citation :happy: ) that if you ease up on the high GI carbs (white bread, potatos, white rice) and eat more MUFAs it can help reduce belly fat, but it's probably just helping all around... can't hurt, though! :laugh: Either way have a blast on your trip! I'm jealous!

As torturous as that would be long-term, I bet I could make it 37 days to find out how true it is! Will work on a menu plan tonight, thank you for the additional focus!

OK, I just realized I can't figure out what MUFAs are though. :embarassed: Help??
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

As torturous as that would be long-term, I bet I could make it 37 days to find out how true it is! Will work on a menu plan tonight, thank you for the additional focus!

OK, I just realized I can't figure out what MUFAs are though. :embarassed: Help??

MUFA= MonoUnsaturated Fatty Acids.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

planks
    side planks
    hip raises
    full arm push ups
    crunches
    leg kicks

Oooooh Jeannie, tell me about hip raises and leg kicks (I think I know what you mean by leg kicks, but want to be clear). I am intrigued!

Additional question: Is ab work still effective if you stretch it out over the day? Say if I were to focus on planks during a potty break, then crunches on another? (10 hour days don't leave much extra workout time :grumble: )

And THANK YOU for always be so durned encouraging and not making me feel stupid in the least for asking! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: (you get two back!)

YES YES YES!! I think part of the reason it is making a big difference, is because I am doing planks in the morning, push ups at work, then planks and hip raises with some of the others thrown in during the day.

Hip raises.
    http://www.sports-db.com/strength/gym/abdominals/lyinghipraise/

This is the BEST explanation yet!! Look at the diagram....every ab muscle is engaged in ONE exercise. Amazing!!:drinker:
  • NinaDawn79
    Options

Ha ha, thanks again for helpful links! Though again I have to take your word, I got a RESTRICTED message when I tried to go to them (d'oh again!)

You guys are so great, at the very least I now have concrete focus to make me feel like I've done all I can to take full advantage of the Maui beauty. :glasses:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Wow, work is strict :laugh:. I found those by googling MUFA diet.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    If we all do these exercises with you, does that mean we can go on vacation with you? :blushing: :tongue:

Ya know, just for uhhh moral support and to help errrrr keep you on track and things :ohwell:
  • NinaDawn79
    Options

planks
    side planks
    hip raises
    full arm push ups
    crunches
    leg kicks

YES YES YES!! I think part of the reason it is making a big difference, is because I am doing planks in the morning, push ups at work, then planks and hip raises with some of the others thrown in during the day.

Hip raises.
    http://www.sports-db.com/strength/gym/abdominals/lyinghipraise/

This is the BEST explanation yet!! Look at the diagram....every ab muscle is engaged in ONE exercise. Amazing!!:drinker:

OK, finally am home and looking at your sites! Is this the equivalent of a "reverse crunch"???
  • NinaDawn79
    Options
    If we all do these exercises with you, does that mean we can go on vacation with you? :blushing: :tongue:

Ya know, just for uhhh moral support and to help errrrr keep you on track and things :ohwell:

I'm so down with that! MFP does Maui! :laugh:
  • NinaDawn79
    Options
    Dredging this up to ask a question/opinions:

So I'm doing really well at taking every potty break opportunity to sneak into the private room off the bathroom and do some ab work (1-3 minutes a couple times an hour.) My question is: Would it be more effective to change up what I do each time (what I'm currently doing) or to concentrate on one activity per day (i.e. planks on Monday, crunches on Tuesday, hip raises on Wednesday, etc.)? I've got sneak my ab work whenever I can, my workout time is *extremely* pressed right now. :grumble:

I can't wait for Thursday's "check in"; I've gotten tape measure happy since my scale refuses to budge on WI days. :laugh: