Question.......

Options
When you start cutting calories and start exercising, in whatever form, then when you get to your goal and stop exercising what will happen? Will you gain your weight back?
Reason I say this is.......EVERYONE says to exercise, well First off, I hate it. Second why would I start something I know i will not stick with? just so when I stop exercising, I can gain everything back? Makes no sense to me. Yes I know I can get to my goal quicker, yes i know there is such a thing as skinny fat. I realize that. But what I want to know is once you start exercising will you have to do it for life in order to keep your weight down?

Replies

• tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you find an exercise that you enjoy, you will probably want to do it. Your body will become accustomed to the endorphine (sp?) rush it gets from exercise and you will actually miss it when you can't. At least that is what has happened to me! But in anwering your question, you don't need to exercise to lose weight or keep it off, you will just be soft and flabby!
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    If you only exercise until you reach your goal, and then you start to maintain, you will just have to adjust your calories as such.

Is it less than ideal? Yes. Is it up to you? Yep. Can you lose weight without exercising? Oh yes. Can you maintain your ideal weight without exercising? Sure can!

It comes down to calorie deficit to lose weight. And it comes down to do eating pretty much what you burn every day (or every week, averaged out) to maintain.

I know lots of thin people who don't workout, most their bodies just don't look as good as those who do. Simple as that. And if you are totally ok with that, go for it! :)
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, I don't like to work out and it hard to find the time.
  • jackisuzu
    jackisuzu Posts: 11
    Options
    I very rarely actually exercise--HATE and LOATHE it... I love to dance in the bathroom before getting in the shower LOL I get up about a half hour early and put on some good music and dance or do some punches and jabs...move my hips around!! Also I replaced my office chair with an exercise ball and bounce all day at work!! LOL You can get in some cardio and movement without even knowing your doing it. If you like to dance try doing it in the bathroom while getting ready!! :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to lose weight just to look better, not to be healthier. Problem is, you'll probably never look the way you want without some exercise. Not mention it's good for you. Your body was made to move. You will enjoy it if you do it properly and consistently. I used to hate exercise - I couldn't run a lap around a track without wanted to blow my head off. Now I run half marathons competitively. Train properly and it won't be a chore, it'll be enjoyable.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    At my age, I am finding it easier to maintain my weight by exercising, not just by eating smarter...but I really like to work out. But yes, I know lots of people who don't "exercise" and stay thin. However, even a quick daily walk would be good for your heart, etc. And yes, walking is exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    If you can learn to love it, you will be a happier, healthier person.
    I only started working out a little over a year ago. I LOVE it now. I will never stop.
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    walk during half of your lunch break, walk up and down steps, instead of lifting the laundry basket off the floor once do it a few times. You really just need to find about 20 minutes of time.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's best for longevity to do some form of exercise at least 30 minutes a day.

Over my working years I've watched people retire, to sit at home on the couch and do nothing physical.

Guess what? They died between 4-6 months of retiring.
  • JJNette76
    JJNette76 Posts: 11
    Options
    I hated exercising and dreaded going to the gym. I was always the slowest person running and could barely lift any weights or do any situps/pushups. I would have rather been on the couch or in bed sleeping. After dragging my butt to the gym every morning for the last two years (except on weekends) I now, most of the time, enjoy working out. There are still some days I don't feel like it but they are few and far between. I became addicted to the post work out or run feeling. You just have an open mind and give it a try for an extended period of time, not just a week or two but more like six to eight weeks. I have lost a total of 35 pounds and 11% body fat. I feel better and am healthier. Yes, my weight fluctuates within five pounds here and there during the maintaining phase when I slack off on my exercising or don't push myself, but now I'm looking to possibly drop another five to ten pounds. You truely start to enjoy the work outs but you have to stick with it long enough to make the change.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    sure if you watch your calories and stay within a certain limit you'll be able to maintain your weight....but you won't be healthy. And as you age you'll develop a whole host of health problems that come along with a sedentary life -
    muscle loss
    sluggish metabolism
    fatigue
    loss of mobility, flexibility
    high blood pressure
    shorten life span

Is it really so hard to just take a 1/2 walk everyday for your overall healthy and longevity? If not for yourself for your loved ones?
  • shellicious777
    shellicious777 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    sure if you watch your calories and stay within a certain limit you'll be able to maintain your weight....but you won't be healthy. And as you age you'll develop a whole host of health problems that come along with a sedentary life -
    muscle loss
    sluggish metabolism
    fatigue
    loss of mobility, flexibility
    high blood pressure
    shorten life span

Is it really so hard to just take a 1/2 walk everyday for your overall healthy and longevity? If not for yourself for your loved ones?

I totally agree with you!!!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Talk about uniformed and flat incorrect answers. People...WAKE UP. "You wont be healthy" and "you'll be flabby" are absolutely moronic replies. Stop trying to put everyone into a "form-factor" of general knowledge. Not everyone develops a "host of health problems". I despise idiotic generalizations of how life will be. Everyone's body "make-up" is different

1. You do not have to work out in order to be healthy
    2. You will not necessarily be "Flabby" if you don't workout

Remember this, 90% of your journey is in your DIET - If your nutritional intake (diet) is well balanced, then you can continue to lose weight until your body naturally adjusts and "rests" at a specific weight. Your activity level does not HAVE to involve exercising; however, the medical benefits are shown to be positive in maintaining and improving overall wellness. A 20-30 minute walk every other day has been shown to support a basis for this. Do note that by not exercising while continuing to lose weight, your body does sacrifice muscle mass. If you do a basic 20 minutes every other day of strength training (non-rigorous), you are able to maintain a good portion of this.

In short - No, you dont HAVE to exercise.

EDIT: Once you hit your goal, move to maintenance by no longer cutting out calories, while maintaining your BMR.

I hope this gives you better definition for your question.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    Options
    you will just be soft and flabby!
    You do not know the person's chemical make-up or the overall elasticity of their skin. You have a high degree for FAIL in your response
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i can tell you for fact maintenance is harder than cutting i dropped 100lbs easy .... trying to maintain ive gained nearly 30 since Christmas
  • BigDaddyBRC
    Options
    Sounds like you want to lose weight just to look better, not to be healthier. Problem is, you'll probably never look the way you want without some exercise. Not mention it's good for you. Your body was made to move. You will enjoy it if you do it properly and consistently. I used to hate exercise - I couldn't run a lap around a track without wanted to blow my head off. Now I run half marathons competitively. Train properly and it won't be a chore, it'll be enjoyable.
    Anyone losing weight from being over-weight is becoming healthy. You should try to change your perceptions.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    Options

Over my working years I've watched people retire, to sit at home on the couch and do nothing physical.

What did they die of? Are we sure it wasnt because they were not as active? Highly suspect.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well whatever you do, don't sit on the couch and relax for 4-6 months... unless you WANT TO DIE. :laugh: :laugh:

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Talk about uniformed and flat incorrect answers. People...WAKE UP. "You wont be healthy" and "you'll be flabby" are absolutely moronic replies. Stop trying to put everyone into a "form-factor" of general knowledge. Not everyone develops a "host of health problems". I despise idiotic generalizations of how life will be. Everyone's body "make-up" is different

1. You do not have to work out in order to be healthy
    2. You will not necessarily be "Flabby" if you don't workout

Remember this, 90% of your journey is in your DIET - If your nutritional intake (diet) is well balanced, then you can continue to lose weight until your body naturally adjusts and "rests" at a specific weight. Your activity level does not HAVE to involve exercising; however, the medical benefits are shown to be positive in maintaining and improving overall wellness. A 20-30 minute walk every other day has been shown to support a basis for this. Do note that by not exercising while continuing to lose weight, your body does sacrifice muscle mass. If you do a basic 20 minutes every other day of strength training (non-rigorous), you are able to maintain a good portion of this.

In short - No, you dont HAVE to exercise.

EDIT: Once you hit your goal, move to maintenance by no longer cutting out calories, while maintaining your BMR.

I hope this gives you better definition for your question.

Unless you claim to be another species, all of our "make ups" are more or less the same. You don't HAVE to do anything, of course.You also don't have to be healthy, you don't have to lose weight, you don't have to brush your teeth, etc.

In short, if you want overall health you need a healthy lifestyle. That means sensible eating and some type of movement. The whole "if you don't use it you lose it" is very true for your body as it ages. Your muscles deteriorate with age, bone loss starts, joint problems, and so much more. If you want to hold that off as long as possible the easiest way is to take a few hours a week and take care of yourself.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    Options
    Unless you claim to be another species, all of our "make ups" are more or less the same. You don't HAVE to do anything, of course.You also don't have to be healthy, you don't have to lose weight, you don't have to brush your teeth, etc.

In short, if you want overall health you need a healthy lifestyle. That means sensible eating and some type of movement. The whole "if you don't use it you lose it" is very true for your body as it ages. Your muscles deteriorate with age, bone loss starts, joint problems, and so much more. If you want to hold that off as long as possible the easiest way is to take a few hours a week and take care of yourself.

Before you attack my response, READ IT. Moron. A-typical asshat response in jumping to conclusions. If your metabolism is the EXACT same as mine, then someone has successfully cloned me. But since that has yet to happen, YOUR CHEMICAL MAKE-UP IS DIFFERENT.