Protein shake = No weight Loss???

Options
Any of you experience that when you consume protein shakes, along with your work outs and calories that you don't loose weight? I've been struggling lately and am staying in my calorie zone. Is it possible that i'm just gaining so much muscle with the protein shakes that i don't see any budge?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I wish.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that I'm just gaining so much muscle with the protein shakes that i don't see any budge?

No, this is not possible. If you are eating fewer calories than you are consuming, you should lose weight. You may gain muscle, and you will lose fat. But the mass of the two will not be equal if you are on a calorie deficit.

It could be water retention if you're doing a lot of exercises. Otherwise, my guess is that you're either eating more calories than you think (less likely) or burning fewer than you think (most likely).
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I have 2 protein shakes a day some days -- I still lose weight. I work out 6-7 days per week, cardio and weight training. It is pretty much impossible that you are gaining muscle so fast that it is cancelling out your fat loss on the scale. Muscle gain doesn't happen that fast! It is more likely that your deficit isn't enough to give you a loss or you are retaining water.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that I'm just gaining so much muscle with the protein shakes that i don't see any budge?

No, this is not possible. If you are eating fewer calories than you are consuming, you should lose weight. You may gain muscle, and you will lose fat. But the mass of the two will not be equal if you are on a calorie deficit.

It could be water retention if you're doing a lot of exercises. Otherwise, my guess is that you're either eating more calories than you think (less likely) or burning fewer than you think (most likely).

I call your bluff. 30 days of a 500 calorie per day deficit doing 30 DS, I never lost a single pound. Not even half a pound.

I lost 4 inches off my waist alone, though!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Protein shakes are not going to make you lose weight. They are just a supplement to boost your protein intake and make you feel fuller longer in most cases. They are also the quickest way for muscles to get a usable form of protein following a workout in order to rebuild.

And no, unfortunately you cannot gain any amount of muscle fast enough to see a difference on the scale.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No, it's not the protein shake.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof

I could be wrong, but pretty sure she was eating a deficit. Either way this shows that the scale may not move but your body is changing shape.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Are you expelling any gas produced from consuming the protein shake? Those vapors can add up.
  • masterjosue
    masterjosue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not going to make you lose weight. They are just a supplement to boost your protein intake and make you feel fuller longer in most cases. They are also the quickest way for muscles to get a usable form of protein following a workout in order to rebuild.

And no, unfortunately you cannot gain any amount of muscle fast enough to see a difference on the scale.

This is the most accurate post I've read here so far. Protein is protein, not weight loss formula. If you're not losing weight, then you're not in a deficit. Look closely at the calculations you base your macros on, and make sure you're on point.
  • nickmast78
    nickmast78 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm going to have to agree that if your calorie intake is at a deficit and your eating REAL FOOD and not garbage, you should be losing weight. You should probably read up on what whey protein is and why you should take it in the first place.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/whey-protein
  • ash240791
    ash240791 Posts: 1
    Options
    What are Macrons???
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of protein shake you are drinking. If you are drinking the protein supplement, No BUT if you are drinking Protein Meal Replacement Shakes then maybe! I made this mistake once b/c I didn't have time to eat so I bought Met-Rx meal replacement shakes! I lost a ton of inches & dropped a dress size but NO weight! I loved my body so I didn't care! :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Well said.

I have lots of protein shakes because I don't like meat and need to feed my muscles, and I lose weight.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    What are Macrons???
    Ingredients

- 4 large egg whites
    - Pinch salt
    - 1/2 cup sugar
    - 1 (8-ounce) package sweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixer fitted with a whip attachment. whip egg whites and salt until they become white and begin to stiffen. Add sugar in 3 parts. Continue to whip until the egg whites are very stiff. Using a rubber spatula fold in toasted coconut.

On parchment lined cookie sheets, drop a teaspoon of the mixture leaving 1 to 2 inches around each cookie. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The outside should be golden brown but the insides should still be moist.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Some things come to mind? Is it made of soy?

Are you intolerant of dairy/whey?
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use raw honey or honey and stevia would prob work as well.
    What are Macrons???
    Ingredients

- 4 large egg whites
    - Pinch salt
    - 1/2 cup sugar
    - 1 (8-ounce) package sweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixer fitted with a whip attachment. whip egg whites and salt until they become white and begin to stiffen. Add sugar in 3 parts. Continue to whip until the egg whites are very stiff. Using a rubber spatula fold in toasted coconut.

On parchment lined cookie sheets, drop a teaspoon of the mixture leaving 1 to 2 inches around each cookie. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The outside should be golden brown but the insides should still be moist.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    if they are included in your calorie allowance not in addition, then the shakes wont make you gain weight, its just another form of consuming your protein.
    You won't gain muscle just from taking protein shakes, it takes a lot of hard work plus eating at a surplus. The protein will help maintain the muscle you have though.

check you are accurately logging your cals and exercise, and that your cals are set at the right level for a healthy loss goal, as these are the most likely reasons for not losing.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I call your bluff. 30 days of a 500 calorie per day deficit doing 30 DS, I never lost a single pound. Not even half a pound.

Sounds like 30 days where you thought you had a 500 defecit but either overestimated TDEE or under estimated intake

There is not one single documented piece of evidence of anyone ever not losing weight when on a calorie defecit.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

This. I have been having protein shakes pretty much daily, sometimes more than one a day, and I have lost over 100lbs.