Shin Splints????

Options
autumnk921
autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
I am doing 30DS & today I felt like my shins are going to split in half....I checked my shins where they hurt the most & felt a bump (like a hard vein or tendon or something) sticking out - you can see it...I have one on each shin....Is this shin splints??? What can be done to help them ease up??? This is the first time I have ever had any issues with my legs especially & it hurts even now while I am sitting here...Any help would be great!! Thanks....

Replies

• autumnk921
    Options
    Bump..
  • autumnk921
    Options
    Anyone???
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    When I was running I had severe shin splints and after a run you couldn't touch them. I had that bump. My doctor told me that it was scar tissue from the tendon actually pulling away from the bone. Nice! It was so bad, I thought I had a stress fracture. I had a test to check and it was severe tendonitis.

Make sure you strectch your calves. Make sure you get the inside and outside. My ART guy just gave me exercises on how to do it. It is mostly the position of your foot. I would google it since I can't really explain it. LOL

Oh, ice and ibuprofen really helps too.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It does sound like shin splints yes - and if you've got the bumps, it sounds like they're pretty far along.

What are you wearing on your feet when doing the 30DS?
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well, firstly rest. Don't try to do anything strenuous which you probably won't do because of the pain.

For relief you need to ice for 15-20 minutes leaving at least an hour between icing. Take some ibuprofen or something to help with the inflammation.

If the pain last for more than a few days after resting, I'd go see the doctor. Since it's on both legs it definitely sounds like shin splints but I'm not a doctor or anything so obviously I can't be totally sure.

After three days of icing, turn to heating the area the same as you did with the ice and do some light stretches after. You can google shin splint stretches and you'll find a few to do.

Rest for at least a week. You can still do upper body weights, maybe some upper body cardio like punching and ab workouts that don't require you to put pressure on your shins.

By the way, you might want to look into what's caused the pain (shoes, workout surface etc) or else you might find them being a recurring problem.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Definitely stretch. (before and after) Drink lots water.

I would get them walking too fast, and on an incline on the black top.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Lots of stretching. I am plagued with them, and doing yoga once a week helps extremely.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30DS & today I felt like my shins are going to split in half....I checked my shins where they hurt the most & felt a bump (like a hard vein or tendon or something) sticking out - you can see it...I have one on each shin....Is this shin splints??? What can be done to help them ease up??? This is the first time I have ever had any issues with my legs especially & it hurts even now while I am sitting here...Any help would be great!! Thanks....

Rest and change your shoes!
    I use to get shin splints tooo...I took some time off and went to a REAL running store...I got on that treadmill where they record how you run and jump....I over pronate...I spent $180 bucks for some Brooks...and I have never had shin splints since....Best investment I think
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    I have horrible shin splints on my right leg. It aches like crazy after running or doing any vigorous cardio. I bought compression sleeves for them and it's helped a lot.
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    RICE

REST

ICE

COMPRESSION

ELEVATION

and get a new GOOD pair of shoes.
  • emmaholmes38
    Options
    Like alot of comments on here a new pair of trainers makes a huge difference.
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I too got shin splints from the 30 DS. I tried stretching before, wearing shoes, and not wearing shoes. Nothing helps. I am on day 8 now. What I do is instead of the jumping cardio exercises, I do the punches or I march in place to keep my HR up. I am still toning up just fine ;)
  • autumnk921
    Options
    Thank you for all or your help!! I am definitely going to get some better shoes for sure...I used ice for the first day & by the next day I was fine until my 3yr old jumped on the bottom of my legs...OUCH!! I have also done some of the stretches that I have found on here & google...So, thanks again!! :)