Breast Reduction

Options

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I had my consult when I weighed about 100 lbs less than now (I'm at 435ish right now) and my surgeon did not turn me away because of my weight, but advised that he wouldn't reduce them as far as I wanted because with the conditions I had at the time, I would likely lose a lot of weight after surgery and he didn't want to have to do implants afterwards.

It's best to do it after you achieve your goal weight, but if you absolutely have to do it, there have to be good reasons. I'm a 50 H/I and I decided against having surgery despite the curving of my spine etc etc. I was originally turned down by insurance. I could get it approved now but I had a good long think about it.

20% of women have to have all milk ducts and nerves removed from the breasts. I know this because if I did it now, I would be one of them. This means no feeling for up to 7 years, with it never fully restoring, and no breast feeding. If you are large and long, they will remove everything. It was something I almost did because mine were over 50lbs then, even more now, and my spine was curving under the weight.

I know lots of people that said it was the best thing ever, but really, the larger you are, the bigger the adjustment, as well as longer the recovery (generally). You'll need someone who can help you wash your incisions.

OH! Also, if you are seeing a surgeon that does it outpatient, but you are overweight, you may have to front the cost of a 2 day hospital stay. Mine does outpatient but because of my size and the drastic change in the surgery, I had to get an OR booked.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I had my consult when I weighed about 100 lbs less than now (I'm at 435ish right now) and my surgeon did not turn me away because of my weight, but advised that he wouldn't reduce them as far as I wanted because with the conditions I had at the time, I would likely lose a lot of weight after surgery and he didn't want to have to do implants afterwards.

It's best to do it after you achieve your goal weight, but if you absolutely have to do it, there have to be good reasons. I'm a 50 H/I and I decided against having surgery despite the curving of my spine etc etc. I was originally turned down by insurance. I could get it approved now but I had a good long think about it.

20% of women have to have all milk ducts and nerves removed from the breasts. I know this because if I did it now, I would be one of them. This means no feeling for up to 7 years, with it never fully restoring, and no breast feeding. If you are large and long, they will remove everything. It was something I almost did because mine were over 50lbs then, even more now, and my spine was curving under the weight.

I know lots of people that said it was the best thing ever, but really, the larger you are, the bigger the adjustment, as well as longer the recovery (generally). You'll need someone who can help you wash your incisions.

OH! Also, if you are seeing a surgeon that does it outpatient, but you are overweight, you may have to front the cost of a 2 day hospital stay. Mine does outpatient but because of my size and the drastic change in the surgery, I had to get an OR booked.

I'm sorry, but it appears that you have been grossly misinformed. I had a substantial reduction done, and the only thing I needed someone else to wash was my hair. And no one has 50 pound breasts. I went from a DDD to a C, and they removed a little over 500 grams (around 1.2 pounds). I suggest you do some Googling if you think differently.

And my surgery was done in a hospital OR, and outpatient. None of my milk ducts or nerves were severed.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Well my sister lost a ton of weight (100+lb on a 5' frame) and her boobs, er, deflated, from a 34G. She ended up getting a tuck instead of a reduction (now about a 32B) and is very happy with the results. I would be worried about getting a reduction, then losing significant weight, and being very very saggy.
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    This thread needs more pictures. Let us judge.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks that men don't belong contributing to this conversation unless they have had a reduction, have knowledge from someone else who has, or are in the business of performing them?
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Yeh, but the thread title has the word 'breast' in it. Thats like a sign saying 'Free Beer' to a man.
  • bama_sweetheart
    Options
    I want a reduction too!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I thought about it. I'm a DDD right now, but I figure I should at least try to get to my goal weight first to see what happens. I'm at goal weight and still a DDD (I have large breasted women in my family. It may just be a curse!!!) then I will go in for a consult.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    where you overweight at the time?
    - I was a little chubby (around 165-170lbs)

what happened when you lost weight after?
    - I lost another cup size =] but to be fair, I thought they were still a little too big after the surgery.

would you recommend I continue to lose a bit more weight first?
    - I got motivated to lose weight AFTER my surgery because I thought my boobs were the ones keeping me from fitting into clothes. After the surgery, I realized I needed to lose fat all over.

how was the recovery?
    - Not too bad. As long as I kept to my pain killer schedule I was relatively pain free minus some muscle discomfort.

Is your life easier now?
    - YES! Even with all the negatives that resulted in my reduction, I am a much happier person and have ZERO regrets about it.

Feel free to inbox me if you'd like to know more or have any questions :flowerforyou:

ETA: I went from a DD to a large C. Now I"m a small C-B range, and I had the surgery done in February 2011.
  • Quasita
    Options

I'm sorry, but it appears that you have been grossly misinformed. I had a substantial reduction done, and the only thing I needed someone else to wash was my hair. And no one has 50 pound breasts. I went from a DDD to a C, and they removed a little over 500 grams (around 1.2 pounds). I suggest you do some Googling if you think differently.

And my surgery was done in a hospital OR, and outpatient. None of my milk ducts or nerves were severed.

Apparently YOU are misinformed, because not everyone has the same experiences. I consulted with several physicians. We are talking an I cup to a B cup. There are MANY women that lose the nerves and milk ducts. It depends on the dimensions of your breasts, along with density. I have incredibly dense breasts that HAVE BEEN WEIGHED and the weight I sited also incorporates pectoral muscles.

Being over 400 pounds means you have to have a substantial amount of anesthesia, which in turn makes it so you have to have direct supervision for longer than someone half your size.

I was advised that because of the radical nature of my procedure, they did not want me to care for the incisions under my arms myself for at least 2 weeks.

How can you possibly know about my situation anyway? You aren't aware of my details... Do I have to get the surgery itinerary for you to "prove" it? LMAO My point was just that being large means that the procedure can be greatly different than someone that is average sized or slightly overweight.

I don't have to google first hand experience.
  • Quasita
    Options

Apparently YOU are misinformed, because not everyone has the same experiences. I consulted with several physicians. We are talking an I cup to a B cup. There are MANY women that lose the nerves and milk ducts. It depends on the dimensions of your breasts, along with density. I have incredibly dense breasts that HAVE BEEN WEIGHED and the weight I sited also incorporates pectoral muscles.

Being over 400 pounds means you have to have a substantial amount of anesthesia, which in turn makes it so you have to have direct supervision for longer than someone half your size.

I was advised that because of the radical nature of my procedure, they did not want me to care for the incisions under my arms myself for at least 2 weeks.

How can you possibly know about my situation anyway? You aren't aware of my details... Do I have to get the surgery itinerary for you to "prove" it? LMAO My point was just that being large means that the procedure can be greatly different than someone that is average sized or slightly overweight.

I don't have to google first hand experience.

Just for S&G though, I did Google, and I found that the woman that holds the record for natural breast weight, of breast tissue *only*, weighs in at 20lbs per breast. The woman with the largest augmented breasts weighs 2 stone per breast. So your claim that no one has 50 pounds of breast is just ill-informed, as it is quite possible to have them. Also, most world records are held as measurement in relation to body size... There ARE heavier breasts, but in relation to the body, no. Do you really think that a woman that weighs 800 pounds doesn't have 50 pound boobs? LMAO
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You are slapping God in the face when you do that.
  • pondwater41
    pondwater41 Posts: 23
    Options
    I had mine done in 2004 (at the age of 33). My only regret was not having it done sooner. I had almost 3 lbs (total) removed. I don't want to say that I'm scar-less. But I can were any style bra and no scars show. I felt immediate relief, even while in the hospital.

After suffering from horride migrane for years (sometimes they were so bad, that I blacked out and lost memory. lost a job because the boss didn't believe that migranes were a real illness and could dehabillate an individual) I haven't had one since the surgery.

I've maintained my full C cup ever since. I've gained and lost inches (smallest, right after surgery was 36. largest 42) over the last 8 years, but my cup size has never faultered.

The funniest thing about the whole recovery, was learning a new center of balance. lol.

Good Luck with your decision. Like I said earlier, my only regret was not having it done sooner.
  • lafager
    lafager Posts: 48
    Options
    I had a reduction done 3yrs after my son was born. Best thing I ever did. I had always been big through the chest and when I started training for the military it caused major issues..like tearing blood vessels in my shoulders. I went from a G cup to a C and found I could stand folding laundry and after I healed, continue my workouts with no tearing. I only had two issues with it: first I rejected the stitches for some reason and that made the healing process longer, second when I had a second child I was unable to breastfeed. If you have any more questions feel free to message me. :)
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :smile:

Ideally I would lose a bit of weight first. Will see what the surgeon has to say as this is really the first time in my life I've been serious about exercise and it is very difficult. I have been self concious from my teens till now about it, clothes never fit right, I have dents in my shoulders and terrible back pain at the end of every day.

I'm in the UK so insurance isnt a problem but I know I will not be accepted on the NHS as I am overweight. My mum has very kindly offered to pay privately if I choose to go through with it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    On behalf of men everywhere, may I say, "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :sad:

LOL!! I'm sure you'd still be able to suffocate between them. She just wants them small enough that she doesn't have to bend at the waist to see her feet...

(just for the record, I went from a 36B to a 42DD with pregnancy/nursing. I'm currently around a 38D/DD with no plans for a reduction)
  • healthygirl1967
    Options
    Hi there, I will add my three dollars worth

where you overweight at the time?
    I was sitting on 110 kgs when I got my girts done in November last year - I was a 36F/G depending on the bra - now a 36C/D - I had 1.7 kg taken off. I healed really well afterwards and have been able to wear underwires since Feb.

what happened when you lost weight after?
    I lost about 12 kgs on my own and since being at MFP i have lost nearly 3.5kg in about 4 weeks.
    Things that have I have done since being smaller is I spin /ride most days and have started the couch to 5k run. I am up to up to running 4 kms without stopping which is a real achievement

would you recommend I continue to lose a bit more weight first?
    I had the same advice but felt that having my boobs reduced was more important to help with back/neck pain etc...having them done has helped me reduced weight as well.

how was the recovery?
    Ok.. I had a rough time with recovery - not something I want

Is your life easier now?
    Oh yes... I love being able to go into a shop and buy bras that are gorgeous and tops that fit ie size 14 rather than 18/20 that fitted around the girls
    I love being able to run without getting black eyes

add me if you want to know more.....
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

No maam. I went from an H to a C. I had 8 lbs removed and he said that was the most he had removed from one person. Some people have to have the nipple completely removed and relocated, I did not. What is now my whole breast, was just the top half before. The milk ducts were not a concern in my case, as the mammary glands were too tightly compressed for me to breast feed anyway. I did not have ANYONE help me at all. I was out of work for one week. I couldnt lift over my head or lift heavy stuff for 3-5 weeks.

OP - do not listen to this post, it is FULL of innacuracy.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks that men don't belong contributing to this conversation unless they have had a reduction, have knowledge from someone else who has, or are in the business of performing them?

Wow. Instead of a breast reduction it looks like you need that stick removed from your *kitten*.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

No maam. I went from an H to a C. I had 8 lbs removed and he said that was the most he had removed from one person. Some people have to have the nipple completely removed and relocated, I did not. What is now my whole breast, was just the top half before. The milk ducts were not a concern in my case, as the mammary glands were too tightly compressed for me to breast feed anyway. I did not have ANYONE help me at all. I was out of work for one week. I couldnt lift over my head or lift heavy stuff for 3-5 weeks.

OP - do not listen to this post, it is FULL of innacuracy.

Just because your experience is different from hers doesn't make it inaccurate. You are being a bit ignorant aren't you? Are you over 400 pounds? Do you have her breasts? Do you have her doctors? If not, then how can you say she is being inaccurate? If they told her that someone needs to help her then who are you to say it's wrong?

That's like me saying that no matter what, take a week off of work for wisdom teeth removal because MY experience was that I was swollen and in terrible pain for a week even on medicine. My sister didn't swell and went back to work the next day. Same procedure-different results.