Under calories, over fat

Options
Eiros
Eiros Posts: 5 Member
This isn't the case with me every day, but often I find myself under calories for the day (sometimes by as many as 300) and over in fat grams. How is this affecting my weight loss progress? I've always tracked calories more than anything, but I realize thats not the only thing that causes me to gain/lose weight. I just dont know much about it. Can anyone more knowledgeable than I help me?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    calories is the most important number that will dictate whether you'll lose weight.

I basically ignore all of the other macros. Really. I try to keep sodium down because I want to avoid water-weight-puffiness-swings, but that's it.
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good question, I have wondered the same thing....
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat has nothing to do with bodyfat (adipose) unless that dietary fat is responsible for a calorie surplus
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I've heard many people say that calories is really the only number you should worry about. But I truly beleive its also about your body and what it NEEDS. I know for *me*, I need to watch my fat intake just as much as my calories and try to make sure the fat that I do take it is healthy fats. While you may have a candy bar with only 170 calories - it may be 12g of fat (and full of unnecessary sugar). I think its best to be mindful of more than just calories. If you are not seeing the changes you want to see - you may need to make changes to your diet and watch your fat, carb and sodium intake as well as the calories!~
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Calories are King.
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    calories is the most important number that will dictate whether you'll lose weight.

I basically ignore all of the other macros. Really. I try to keep sodium down because I want to avoid water-weight-puffiness-swings, but that's it.

Pretty much this, although I try to keep my protein high as well. It hasn't affected my weight loss at all!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    IDK...I take a fat metabolizer supplement. I have maintained inches lost with it but have gained weight. I am hoping now that I have started going back to the gym and watching my diet more..and back here with MFP..that I will see greater results from it. I certainly feel better since I have been taking it for the past 2-3 months.
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options

This for me
  • nre820
    nre820 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what you're eating. If you're over fat because you're eating cookies and candy bars, then obviously, you should work on cutting that number down. However a lot of foods have healthy fats that your body needs (avocados, eggs, nuts, etc.). As long as your eating a balanced diet, you should be okay...if not, then maybe make some adjustments.
  • monkeygirl351
    Options
    Good to know. I'm usually under by 2-300 calories as well. I like a slight buffer to account for inaccuracies in exercise and portions even though im pretty spot on. I notice that my carbs are usually under, but my protein and fat tend to be higher. I eat things like avocado, almonds, natural peanut butter and such plus I take a fish oil capsule twice daily. I try and keep sodium down as much as I can to prevent water weight, but I also was wondering about the fat thing. I've stopped all junk except for the occasional skinny cow ice cream . I think it is working so far because I've lost 6 pounds in 4 weeks, but seeing the high fat is slightly worrisome.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, fat is not bad for you. You may need to adjust what you eat if you are 300 calories shy and over your fat, but I go over on my fat a lot. I am concerned about calories but I do pay attention to my carbs because my body seems to be less tolerant of carbs as most people. It also depends on how your macronutrients are set in MFP.
  • sweetmelissa43
    sweetmelissa43 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think calories are most important, but it is still very important where those calories are coming from. Personally, I try to make sure that my calories are coming from healthy sources and getting more fruits, veggies, protein, fiber, low -fat dairy and whole grains and very little from unhealthy carbs, fat and sugars. I can tell a huge difference in how I feel, how bloated I am and in my weight loss. But that's just me. :)
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Eiros
    Eiros Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!!! Will keep a closer eye on my fat sources and try not to go so low on calories.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Calories are more important for weight loss. I personally feel that MFP underestimates the amount of fat a person needs in their diet and overestimates carbohydrates.
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is helpful... I just started here and was under on calories. I wasn't sure what that really meant as far as big picture. I've never in my life counted calories before so this is a whole new world for me...