Stairs

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
does anyone run up and down the stairs for exercise. i am thinking of doing this if i have the courage to not fall down!

Replies

• denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    LMAO!! I was just trying to think of something else that I could do for about 15 minutes.... I think by the time I'm finished I will NEED the railing!! Here I go!!!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    please tell me how it goes, i hear it burns mad cals and works up a sweat
  • mayhsgirl93
    Options
    haha i was thinking the same thing, in school we have 2 full flights of stairs between each floor so if someone asks someone else to get something for them, ill be like "I'll go I need the exercise!!"
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    OMG!! Ok... at the start, I thought "Hey big shot! You can do this!" So I was half running/half jogging up the stairs... I think I went up and down like that about 7, MAYBE 8 times... I realized I wasn't such a "big shot" after all!!! I started to walk a few times, then go 2 at a time for a couple. I only went for 12 minutes but now that I have my breath back, I feel great!! Good luck! Oh yeah, You're right about all the sweat :noway: lol
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Below are some of the benefits of stair exercises:

Improve your strength
    Improve your power output
    Improve your flexibility
    Improve your balance
    Improve your coordination
    Reduce your body fat levels
    Your exercise workouts can be finished in as little as in fifteen minutes
    No equipment is required only your body weight and a flight of stairs
    Improve in your anaerobic conditioning
    Have more a ton more endurance in your legs
    Improve in your aerobic conditioning
    Build buns of steel.

i got that from: http://ezinearticles.com/?Benefits-of-Stair-Exercises&id=394872
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    At my old apartment (couple of years ago) there was a HS stadium that was no longer part of a HS and the track and field were open to the public to use. I used to run the stadium stairs up and down as many times as I could before my legs turned to jelly...it kicks your boot-tay!

I wish there was something like that close to me now. :grumble: but now I just semi jog up the three flights to my office a couple of times a day.:happy:
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i am gonna jog up and down the stairs to my basement...that is all i got :frown:

...yeah that is too hard for me
  • zbtru
    zbtru Posts: 10
    Options
    186116.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
    I don't use actual stairs, I use an airclimber with arm bands. It's earier on the knees and you get a more cario workout cuz it has arm bands, so your moving up and down on the pads and moving your arms in differant ways to tone your arms also. quite the workout.
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wrote about running stairs a few months back: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/44681-want-a-booty-kickin-exercise

It was a killer workout and I saw some serious results from it! I got burnt out on it pretty quickly though because I was doing it 3-4 times a week so I'm now doing boot camp 5 days a week. Eventually, I plan on doing boot camp 3 days a week and stairs the other two. I like to mix it up so my body doesn't have time to get bored. :)

I typically burned at least 700 calories when I ran the stairs. I ran up and down 13 floors, 3-5 times.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    186116.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
    I don't use actual stairs, I use an airclimber with arm bands. It's earier on the knees and you get a more cario workout cuz it has arm bands, so your moving up and down on the pads and moving your arms in differant ways to tone your arms also. quite the workout.

i would think it would be similar in effort, cause you need your core to keep balance without holding onto those rails
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    You guys just gave me an idea...I live in a huuuuuge apartment complex, most of the 30+ buildings are 3 floors, and the stairs are outside...I get bored by doing the stairmaster at the gym, so maybe I can do the stairs here! Build up slowly, a building or two at a time! I wish I had thought of this sooner! :laugh: