Body Type Eating

Options
I'm curious about MFP members' opinions about eating for your body type? Dr. Mark Liponis, author of The Hunter/Farmer Diet Solution, was a guest on a recent Dr. Oz show and talked about the importance of eating based on whether you're an apple or pear shape. It was very interesting, but, I am skeptical about these types of claims.
Here's a link to the info: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/body-type-diet-solutions-big-belly-or-big-butt

Replies

• tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options
    According to that I should be a hunter as I weighed 3.5 pounds at birth but according to my body shape I am a farmer (pear shape). HMMM
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is an idiot, IMO.

Also, the only thing that determines "body shape" is where your ancestors and you are predisposed to store fat. This does not mean your muscular or skeletal system is "different" or needs to be provided "different nutrition".

Your body works the same (medical conditions excluded) as everyone else's. You are not a different species because you are a "pear" or "apple".
  • Emnee
    Emnee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    According to that I should be a hunter as I weighed 3.5 pounds at birth but according to my body shape I am a farmer (pear shape). HMMM

^ This! I was a 5lb baby at birth. Although I do store fat in my belly area, I also have big thighs and butt. What does that make me? An appear? Haha. Plus, I've never in my life seen anyone give advice to NOT eat breakfast... How credible is this person?
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I thought that about breakfast too.
    After seeing the show, I told my sis that I'm the entire fruit bowl. :laugh:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I weighed next to nothing at birth, like really really low. Is there a category for "Prey"?

Seriously though, I don't think much of special type diets and lots of rules. It reminds me of the blood type diet that was recently popular.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a charlatan. This stuff is not going to help you at all.

Focus on:
    1) Calories in/calories out.
    2) Exercise (weight training+cardio)
    3) Quality of food

That is all you need to get in shape. But I guess that doesn't sell books or boost ratings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Um . . . ridiculous.