New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women (NROLW)

Options
Hey ladies,

I just picked up this book and am going to give it a try. What weight did you start with? My only experience with weights are the 5 lbs I use doing Jillian Michaels workouts. I know I need to significantly increase that, but I'm not sure by how much?

Also, those of you who have/are done/doing this program, did you see great results? How long? I have my wedding in August and I would like to tone my arms.

Other than adding more protein, I'm not sure I can stick to the meal plan (I'm a pretty picky eater :sick: )

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what weights we started with. Every person is at a different level. Pick something that you think you can do a single rep with. Then for the next rep, try something a good bit higher and see if that is feasible.

Say, if you start with a squat holding two 5lb dumbbells and it feels like a joke, try holding the olympic bar and doing a squat (that is 45lbs instead of 10lbs) it will be a huge difference and you can judge if that is too heavy or light for you still.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    everyones starting weights are different. I started with a certain weight..and if I can do 3-4 reps pretty easily...I upped the weights..till I was "feeling" it..but still in good form..
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you'll need to start with whatever weight is most challenging for you but you can still do the reps with good form. also, all the exercises are different so the odds of you needing the same weight for all of them is very low.

i'm at stage 3 and the main results i've seen is in body recomposition and gains in my strength and my endurance.

i dont follow the eating plan either because of food allergies, but some of the smoothie recipes are quite nice
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    There is actually a very informative group on MFP for the program here, you should join: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I just finished stage 1 and really enjoy it! My advice is to expect to see changes in the mirror and with a measuring tape before you see a lot of change on the scale.
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My copy arrived in the post today, so not started to read yet! I have been lifting heavy weights when I visit the gym and using my husbands free weights at home for a while now (don't pay attention to the weight I'm lifting, just lifting what is a challenge) and have literally shrunk all over, especially my arms, which was the part of me I hated most!

I'm hoping the book will give me a more structured home work out and and help me refine my diet to lower by body fat %

I hope you find the book useful! I cannot wait to get started! :)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    2nd a good weight but still maintain form -- after testing a few weights you will see what works for you

YOu will not be "toning" your arms. Diet will help with fat loss which is key to seeing these muscles and strength training will help maintain the muscle mass you already have. Overall fatloss is what will occur. NO targeting spots.

I've been lifting for some time and eating within my macros and this has helped me to increase strength and show more definition.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have joined the group of the link provided.

Sadly, I know you can't spot train and I definitely have work to do all over my body (my arms is just what I want gone the most! LOL). I am thinking of doing this program Monday, Wednesday, Friday with cardio on the off days to help with fat loss.

Thanks everyone! Getting excited to give it a try :happy:
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've just finished up phase one and have started to see some changes in body composition and some definite muscle gains in my upper body. I think if I stick with it my squishy belly bits will slowly disappear. My core strength and posture have definitely improved.

The entire workout plan is supposed to take about 6 months to complete, but some weeks I only fit in 2 lifting sessions instead of 3, so it will take me a bit longer. Hopefully by then I will have significant fat loss and maybe even a bit of overall weight loss.

The only part of the food plan I'm trying is the macro ratios of 40/30/30. It's a lot of protein, but seems to be going ok so far.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about starting this program. Did anyone wait unroll you got closer to your goal weight or does it not matter? I do know the scale may go up but the body composition will change drastically. What are your thoughts?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Sadly, I know you can't spot train and I definitely have work to do all over my body (my arms is just what I want gone the most! LOL). I am thinking of doing this program Monday, Wednesday, Friday with cardio on the off days to help with fat loss.

You can spot train, although that's not a term I hear often. You can't spot reduce. But even if you focus training on an area you have to know what you're doing. For example, if you have big, fat arms and don't lose the fat in them, strength work on your arms may make them end up looking bigger.
  • Abells
    Options

looks like a great line-up to me! heard great things about this book so get it done :) you'll see the results you want if you just combine all the right factors, diet and exercise :)
  • medaglia_06
    Options
    I am thinking about starting this program. Did anyone wait unroll you got closer to your goal weight or does it not matter? I do know the scale may go up but the body composition will change drastically. What are your thoughts?

I've been told the more muscle you have the easier you burn calories? I'm still about 40 lbs away from my goal weight, so I am definitely not waiting!
  • Abells
    Options

People tend to freak out because the scale goes up due to water retention in the muscles from new exercise. Don't get discourage. When you do only cardio you are losing fat and muscle. Strength training will help you maintain that but you will see a slower loss on the scale but take photos of yourself from start to finish.
  • medaglia_06
    Options

You can spot train, although that's not a term I hear often. You can't spot reduce. But even if you focus training on an area you have to know what you're doing. For example, if you have big, fat arms and don't lose the fat in them, strength work on your arms may make them end up looking bigger.

Oops, definitely meant spot reduce LOL. Thanks, I'm definitely going to keep up my diet and cardio so this hopefully doesn't happen.
  • Abells
    Options

hence i can't stand the word tone
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

It never hurts to start a program early on. Just remember that excess body fat may obscure some of your results for some time. In addition, if you have a tendency to put on fat disproportionately in some places, you might want to be careful about how you work out with weights.

Cue the: "Weights never made me bigger" women. Good for you. Everyone is not the same.
  • medaglia_06
    Options

How about "definition"?
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options

How about "definition"?

regardless what you want to call it, the fat has got to be reduced before the "definition" can be seen, hence why you can't "spot" train. That said, muscle burns more calories at rest than cardio. Cardio burns more fat during the exercise. Best case scenario is to do both...3 days strength, 3 days cardio, 1 day rest.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

How about "definition"?

regardless what you want to call it, the fat has got to be reduced before the "definition" can be seen, hence why you can't "spot" train. That said, muscle burns more calories at rest than cardio. Cardio burns more fat during the exercise. Best case scenario is to do both...3 days strength, 3 days cardio, 1 day rest.

word.

i'm also adding "lengthening" to the list of words i hate seeing in relation to muscles (as in pilates/yoga will lengthen your muscles). both those are related more to your amount of boy fat over the muscle more so than the actual muscle itself