1210 calorie diet

Options
I started this Friday and I have yet to stay at or below the recommended 1210 calorie diet this site recommends for me. Anyone else have this problem? Will I get better?

Feeling discouraged in Texas:grumble:

Replies

• fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have about the same and it's really hard. For me, just learning what had more calories than I thought and what 1/3 cup actually looked like (for example) really shocked me. About 5 out of 7 days, the only way I can make it under is using exercise. Feel free to look at my diary if you want. I struggle too but it might help with some meals.
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No need to go below. Do you exercise? If you exercise you get to eat more.
  • blessing98
    blessing98 Posts: 10
    Options
    When I don't exercise, I never hit my goal calorie count. So on my one rest day a week, I never make any progress no matter how well I eat. I don't know how people do it.
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Options
    MFP recommends me 1,200...I usually eat around 1,350 if its not an "over eater" day for me. If you are having trouble sticking to your 1,210 try to exercise and when you log in your exercise, your calorie intake will automatically increase...when I exercise MFP adds an extra 200 -300 calories depending on how much exercise I do. So exercising can help you gain extra calories to eat (hope that makes sense) lol.
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It does get better. Once you learn the foods that are lower in calories but still filling you will find that you turn a corner. You can eat a LOT when you are eating veggies, fruits and good proteins rather than chips, cookes etc. (Not to say that's what you are eating but just for illustration's sake) Think of it like carrying cash. You only have a certain amount to spend, what are you willing to spend your calories on? And don't be afraid of the cals in many proteins. It will keep you feeling full.

Best wishes!
    :flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I started this Friday and I have yet to stay at or below the recommended 1210 calorie diet this site recommends for me. Anyone else have this problem? Will I get better?

Feeling discouraged in Texas:grumble:

Are you aiming for losing 1 pound a week or 2? If 2, you should really drop it to one....it's a much more reccomended and realistic goal, and you'll be able to eat more calories.

Also keep in mind that for every calorie you exercise off, you get to eat that back. So eating my exercise calories gives me a HUGE incentive to stick to the workout most days.
  • SpiveyMay
    SpiveyMay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    MFP also recommended 1210 for me to loose 1 lb a week. I don't have the time to exercise everyday and I was starving the whole time I was trying to stay within these calories. I took an average from three other sites plus this one, and it came out to be around 1325. This made a big difference for me, I wasn't hungry all the time, and I actually lost my first pound after I increased my calories.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    It does get better. Once you learn the foods that are lower in calories but still filling you will find that you turn a corner. You can eat a LOT when you are eating veggies, fruits and good proteins rather than chips, cookes etc. (Not to say that's what you are eating but just for illustration's sake) Think of it like carrying cash. You only have a certain amount to spend, what are you willing to spend your calories on? And don't be afraid of the cals in many proteins. It will keep you feeling full.

Best wishes!
    :flowerforyou:
    could not have said it better ! it is hard at first i was eating 3-5000 calories a day then 1800 cal when i started here so it can be done just learn your foods
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    1210? That would be a tough one, don't worry though.....you'll get to a point where you'll have your eating down to a science! when i go for groceries i read the labels and i try to keep in mind what my calorie limit is. don't worry - you'll be able to work it out! good luck!
  • landry1
    landry1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    my calories are about 1250 and usually i eat lots of salad greens (4 cups =60 calories) and fruit so fruits and veggies are the best way to go to feel full and low calories and for snacks microwave popcorn is a great option
  • mxhelili
    mxhelili Posts: 33
    Options
    1210 is insanely low! im allowed 1610 a day, and even THAT is too low for me. i suppose it depends on how much weight, and how soon, you want to lose.
  • pinkyjane48
    Options
    When I don't exercise, I never hit my goal calorie count. So on my one rest day a week, I never make any progress no matter how well I eat. I don't know how people do it.

Keep in mind that even just walking does give you some extra calories per day to eat!! Even if you do a couple of 10 minute walks- thats what I do on my break at work when I want to add a little more of something to my meal or snack.

1210 is really rough. I wouldnt try to go UNDER that though, because going below 1200 can send the body into a panic mode to prepare for starvation-type conditions and it won't really let any excess go in case it needs to use it.

I agree with eriny- there are foods out there that you can have more of and still not have to spend too many calories on. (I mean, a cucumber slice is like 8 calories, carrots are super low too- Its SUPER satisfying if you pair those two with a ranch dip powder mix & light sour cream, you can have a tablespoon of the dip for only 35 calories! I use the Hidden Valley dip mix and Daisy Light sour cream. Its my favorite and most satisfying afternoon snack.)
  • jennhollis
    Options
    Try drinking more water--sometimes your are actually dehydrated and your body triggers you to eat rather than drink...you'll find yourself running to the washroom a little more but filling up on H20 is better then nothing I suppose.
  • onmywayto130
    Options
    I have about the same calorie count as you. I agree, it's not very many calories. I'm probably happier at about 1400 calories. Anyway, I've been doing this almost 6 weeks and it took me the better part of 3 weeks to get used to what 1245 calories is in real food. I have found that I have adjusted and I'm not starving to death. However, I get exercise 5-6 days a week, a minimum of 30 minutes. That really helps and is worth getting up in the morning for. Good luck!
  • bunny_98
    bunny_98 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i started out with slim fast and it had set my calories at 1900. i was only eating 1500-1600 of those though. i was faithfully losing 2 pounds a week. when i came to this site, it dropped my calories to 1270, then 1240. i was able to do it, but i noticed that my weight loss stopped. well, not stopped, but definately slowed down. i went back up to around 1500 and noticed that i started losing 2 pounds a week again. i think that everyone is different and its all trial and error to find out what works for you.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Foods higher in fiber will help you feel full longer. For me, I also need some protein in every meal to feel full and satisfied. I am at 1300 calories.

As for exercise, one thing is it also help reduce appetite. So, you get to eat more calories (which I tend to do earlier in the day-- at least an hour before I go to the gym) and then after working out, I'm good for the evening.
  • ecrb77
    ecrb77 Posts: 78
    Options
    Try to eat at least 5 fruits and 5 veggies a day. That's helped me try to stay on track with my calories! Good luck!
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I eat Yoplait fat free yogurt. It's one of the best foods to eat because there are a ton of flavors that taste like dessert. LIke the upside down pineapple and the raspberry cheesecake. They are 100 calories a pop and make you feel full. There have been a lot of studies lately about how yogurt makes you feel fuller and can actually help with belly fat. I know I definitely feel fuller when I eat it. Good luck!