trans fat in report

Options
:noway: After entering my food for today I looked up on report and saw my trans fat was right to the top for the day, I was horrified and eventually found the trans fat came about after entering 100 ml of skimmed milk. I didn't realise there was trans fat in skimmed milk, can anyone advise on trans fat and milk ???? please......

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The man made trans fats concern me. Their are natural occurring ones.

Google knows:
    "Animal-based fats were once the only trans fats consumed, but by far the largest amount of trans fat consumed today is created by the processed food industry as a side effect of partially hydrogenating unsaturated plant fats (generally vegetable oils)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat
  • ddomanil
    ddomanil Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've swapped from skimmed cow's milk to three types of milk alternatives for variety. Almond milk (not everyone's favourite), hazelnut milk (tastes like chocolate and works with coffee), coconut milk (i love this and could drink it out of the carton).

All three above are great with cereal. I'm not a fan of soy milk. I've not tried rice milk but may do in the future. More importantly neither three of my milks have trans fats or have very very low levels.

Give them a try, I bet one of them will taste good to you.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've swapped from skimmed cow's milk to three types of milk alternatives for variety. Almond milk (not everyone's favourite), hazelnut milk (tastes like chocolate and works with coffee), coconut milk (i love this and could drink it out of the carton).

All three above are great with cereal. I'm not a fan of soy milk. I've not tried rice milk but may do in the future. More importantly neither three of my milks have trans fats or have very very low levels.

Give them a try, I bet one of them will taste good to you.

The rice doesn't have as many benefits to it as say almond or coconut. Coconut milk doesn't have any calcium, which is weird to me, thought it did but the carton says otherwise. I'm a fan of almond, also the almond vanilla.. HOLY! SO good!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Trans fat occurs naturally in some foods, including beef and milk. However, these are not considered scientifically to be harmful to your body. Artificial trans fats, though, ought to be avoided.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time finding real milk I can drink, so many have added calcium these days. (which isn't bad, unless you are me and are allergic to it).
    I really like the trader joe's organic original almond milk, not sure how it compares cal/fat wise to skim milk, but I know there are no trans fat, and it tastes great!