Do you log ALL activity as exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• cefuhrmann
    cefuhrmann Posts: 4
    Options
    I log all activity as exercise because I have my setting at the lowest, sedentary level. I'm only allowed 1420 calories a day, which isn't really realistic, so every little bit counts!
  • nikrit84
    nikrit84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I log a short amount of cleaning time if I spend the whole day cleaning. And if I mow the lawn, I always log that because it tends to take me close to an hour and I am sweating like crazy afterwards lol. However, my activity level is the lowest because right now I am laid off, and when I am working it is an 8 hour sitting office job.
  • gleechick609
    gleechick609 Posts: 551
    Options
    I log yard work and planned exercise because I sweat my tooshie off. Activities such as light cleaning and walking throughout the mall, no.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If it's something I do daily, than no, I don't log it. I have that factored into my daily activity level.

That being said, if it's something I do once a week or do it very vigorously, than yes, i add it and count it.

Like mowing my lawn takes me an hour with a push mower, I log that. If it took 15 mins, I probably wouldn't. If I am deep cleaning - to the point where I am moving furniture, I log that too. Daily sweeping, nope don't log it.

There is one other thing I do and that is cut the time down...for example, a few weeks ago my husband and I built a flower garden out of old pallets. So, we ripped the pallets apart, cut them to size, and put them together. All together, this was a 5 hour project. I logged this as 1 hour of carpentry and took some of the calories back but I figured that was a safe bet since it didn't list how vigorous the activity or the part of carpentry.

Bottom line, if you don't want to see it added to your count, don't add it.
  • Tatom1622
    Tatom1622 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also log only yard work.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    no. i just make sure MFP says Im moderately active and consider it a part of that.
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    i log chores/activities that get my heart beating and possibly sweaty or close to it. If im not out of breath at some point its not worth logging :)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Generally, no. If I did it before and wasn't losing weight then I don't think it should count as exercise now.

But there are days when I spend 4 hours tending to my lawn and garden after working 8-9 hours. So there is no way I am going to fit in a formal workout as well. So on those days I tend to log an hour or so of mowing or gardening. I really lowball though, if I consider it normal life activity as opposed to a workout.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can log it into your daily activities OR as exercise, but I would'nt suggest doing it both ways.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I log lawnmowing. I wear my HRM and my heart rate is up the entire time. I can burn around 400 calories in 50 minutes mowing the lawn. I don't log any other chores, though.

^^THIS...In fact I just cut the lawn today (with my HRM as usual) and logged it! :drinker:
  • mrsjrwest
    mrsjrwest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am active, and quite a bit is housework since we do Senior Foster Care and I have a 7 bedroom, 3 bath house that gets really dirty all the time (like I clean one bathroom, including wiping the floor down by hand almost every day). I also do 4-7 loads of laundry a day, and sometimes more.

So, I only log extra heavy cleaning or heavy gardening. Things like moving furniture and running the carpet cleaner, or heavy weeding or running the tiller count as extras. The regular stuff (an hour or less a day of extra) I don't count. Anyway, that's the plan.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I have a deskjob but I do a lot of walking, climbing stairs & I don't drive nor own a car so I have to walk 2 miles from the office to the nearest bus station. Anyway since I'm having a hard time monitoring the minutes that I do all of these so I put my settings under lightly active so I can only log my formal exercises but all my daily routine that involves walking or climbing stairs, light to moderate household chores are considered my NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) & its counted under my mfp settings. The only time that I log my NEAT is if I did a heavy chore that involves lifting heavy furnitures or that if it put stress on my entire body like general cleaning (as in you clean the entire house including the roof)
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I usually just log my workouts and walk/runs. I did log my lawnmowing last week because it took me over and hour.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I log most as my profile is set up as sedentary and it has worked for me. I think it is too complicated to differentiate between lightly active and active and my job is sedentary anyway.