Hamstring Issue

Options
JodaNord
JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
So I felt pain running my last long run, Mar 24th, and have not been able to run more then 15 minutes since. That run was 19km, 2:10.

Since that time, i have tried running, and 10 minutes i feel a twinge and then i can't keep going after 5 minutes more, cause then i am limping all the way home.

Been to physio, and am building strength in the Hams, ankles glutes, all the muscles from the bum down on the back of the body.

I miss running sooooo much, and even therapist isnt sure why my hams are not responding much to the exercises, as there is nothing else wrong. Tho i have been continuing doing strength dvds at home, and biking to work.

So i have to lay off dvds this week, and only do walking and biking this week to see if that helps.

Any one else had a similar issue? What did you do for it? And how long beforeyou could run again?

i am thinking i may do c25k from one of the beginning weeks to see if i build up slow that may help slowly strengthen as well???

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't had that issue but a runner friend of mine pulled something back around new years and has been battling it ever since. She continues to have ART and strengthening done on it but just can't seem to get back to 100%. I am thinking there is a potential tear. any chance of that in your case?
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I was thinking possibly it could be a tear, but physiotherapist doesn't detect anything at all, there is not discernible swelling or inflammation even. So, its an overload on a weak muscle and i have an indefinite period of time to get it back to what it was! Argh it is frustrating!
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I guess this is a rare thing...
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Or No one knows what else to do besides what i am doing...
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any flexibility exercises in your regimen...are you addressing that?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Or No one knows what else to do besides what i am doing...

I've had multiple hamstring pulls and possibly a tear, was just to busy at the time to clarify.

I imagine at this point you're hammy is feeling very tight and sore, basically bending it is very difficult? As hard as it is I'd say take time off from leg exercises for a while. Take it easy when you can, stretch as much as you comfortably can. Once you get it back to a healthy point you may need incorporate more hamstring work as you possibly have an imbalance between your quads and hamstrings. At first to get your hamstrings up to speed you may want to hit them pretty good with Romanian Deadlifts (RDL's) or Good Mornings and some lighter leg curls. Then once you get the strength back-up you can just limit it to RDL's.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I dont log any exrecise on MFP anymore, as i go by TDEE -20%

I have flex exercises i do daily given my by physiotherapist. It doesn't hurt or feel tight or anything till i run for about 10 minutes. Its the strangest "injury" i have ever sustained to date.
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you had an MRI? If not, you need to get one so you know what the injury is. Hamstring injuries, even without a tear, take a long time to heal. I think once you learn exactly what the problem is, you should work on physical therapy. Strengthening the hamstring using various exercises will help. But again, it will take quite a while.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Thanks, i kind of figure running is out of the question till Fall, so I am doing the prescribed exercises, and follow up appts, and leave running at least for a month or two before i even try for a short jog. If at that time, its still the same, i will be talking to my doc and seeing a sports doc.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i kind of figure running is out of the question till Fall, so I am doing the prescribed exercises, and follow up appts, and leave running at least for a month or two before i even try for a short jog. If at that time, its still the same, i will be talking to my doc and seeing a sports doc.

It's good that you're going for therapy, that's the one thing I neglected was going to a PT. I just took it easy for a while and stretched to let it come back. Once you're healed up really put some added focus on exercising the hamstrings like I mentioned above. If this is becomes semi-common it could be a sign of a muscle imbalance.