Minimalist or Barefoot Runners

Options
13»

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I vote this as The Most Interesting Thread I've Read on Facebook.

I want to try BFR. We shall see. It would take me considerable time. I have injury to my left calf that causes extreme pain (tightening of muscle, limping) if I don't have "proper support". I'd love to allow my body to HEAL on its own.

You mean it hurts more if you're barefoot than if you're not? How did you hurt yourself? This may not be you, but so many people turn to barefooting because of injuries with shoes! Me included.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I vote this as The Most Interesting Thread I've Read on Facebook.

I want to try BFR. We shall see. It would take me considerable time. I have injury to my left calf that causes extreme pain (tightening of muscle, limping) if I don't have "proper support". I'd love to allow my body to HEAL on its own.

There are several people I've met who swear by BFR/MR and how it helped them heal. Imho, part of the reason we get hurt in the first place is that we don't allow our bodies to teach us how to run. We put on orthontics and shoes that mask the problem- not solve it.

Try walking first- just get a feel for it. Then work your way up from there. I'm new at this- some of the other people here know much more than I- but if you have questions just let us know. We'll try to find the answer!

Take a pic of your walk- we can start a gallery :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • cherapple
    Options
    I ran almost 2.5 miles today. I decided to try my VFFs again. My feet they felt "blinded." I ran on harder surfaces than I have been--road, gravel, packed dirt, trail, and some grass, too. I'm not sure whether it was the shoes or the surfaces, but my feet hurt! (Mainly the surgery one.) They haven't hurt like that since the last time I wore VFFs. My completely barefoot runs have felt great. I guess I'm shelving my VFFs as running shoes until winter. It's barefoot all the way for me for the rest of the summer!
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Great run Cheryl! Your progress really inspires me, truly it does.

I went to the grocery today and had to wear shoes- but it felt very odd lol I'm so used to going barefoot.

Felt like I was wearing bricks on my doggies.:laugh:
  • cherapple
    Options
    I don't know that I feel like I'm making much "progress." My foot feels a little swollen and stiff today after my VFF run yesterday. I'm feeling increasingly jealous of those who can strap on a pair of VFFs and go out and run several miles right away! :huh: I may be confined to running on grass for the rest of my life. :ohwell:

As for public footwear, flip flops are great! It's hard to find a comfortable pair, but I found some made by Nike that were on clearance and they're really light and comfortable. I also have a pair of sandals that I like okay, if I must wear something a little nicer. I keep my flip flops in the car, drive barefoot, and then put them on when I get to the store. I am not looking forward to winter! :frown: :happy:

Cheryl
    Great run Cheryl! Your progress really inspires me, truly it does.

I went to the grocery today and had to wear shoes- but it felt very odd lol I'm so used to going barefoot.

Felt like I was wearing bricks on my doggies.:laugh:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I'm scared about winter too- I have NO idea what I'm going to do. *sigh*

Try not to get frustrtated on the VFF mileage. Most people I've talked to it took them about a year before they could really log in a lot of mileage on them.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and get my feet 'tough' overnight :tongue:

Hubbs and I are going for a barefoot walk today- I'm excited! I'm going to take more pics and put them up on my blog- should be fun!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I ran barefoot this weekend around the yard and on the sidewalk.

And of course I would find the ONE little piece of glass that mysteriously appeared and got lodged in my heel.

So I limped around a little bit on Saturday but it didn't hinder me too much. Today you wouldn't know that I had to dig a glass shard out of my foot.

I don't think I put shoes on at all this weekend except to go out and on my normal, non-barefoot run.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    You know, I watched my son, who's 1-1/2 years old, run all over the place without shoes on. It just came so naturally for him - he would much rather be barefoot than wear shoes.

I can still hear his little feet clapping on the sidewalk and it makes me smile. So cute...so natural. Makes me wish I were young again. :heart: :love:

Thank goodness it was me that found the piece of glass.
  • cherapple
    Options
    I'm still here! I'm just being really bad about logging my food. I need to get back into because even though I'm exercising more, the pounds are slowly creeping on.

My barefoot running progress: 20 miles and counting. (My husband is up to almost 300! If he wore shoes, it would be about time for a new pair. :laugh: ) I'm even running a little bit on asphalt, and no foot pain on my surgery foot because I'm finally learning to land softly. Amazing.

How's everyone else doing?
  • gemiwing
    Options
    I'm doing really well. I ran MR for a short while the other night- tons of fun.

I took a water aerobics class and part of the exercises was to do hamstring leg lifts. Just like in barefooting! It was excellent and amazing to test my foot fall in the pool. I can't recommend this enough! Try walking in water to get the foot fall down pat.

We're flooded out today here in Lou, so no walking for me! Raw sewage and bare feet... ahhh NO. :noway:

Have a great day everyone!
  • cherapple
    Options
    I ran MR for a short while the other night- tons of fun.

I took a water aerobics class and part of the exercises was to do hamstring leg lifts. Just like in barefooting! It was excellent and amazing to test my foot fall in the pool. I can't recommend this enough! Try walking in water to get the foot fall down pat.

Acronyms again :ohwell: : What's MR? :laugh:

I can imagine the pool might be a good place to work on your bare foot form. Lately I'm focusing on my walking form. You're supposed to step ball of foot first, but I've walked heel-to-toe for so many years that it's hard to change my old habits. It feels weird when I put on shoes now though! I can immediately feel the changes they cause in my body position and walking mechanics.
  • gemiwing
    Options

Acronyms again :ohwell: : What's MR? :laugh:

Minimalist Running- sorry it's an abbreviation from another board I go to :)

When I walk- even barefoot- I do heel strike more and push off more with my toes. It's so hard to wear shoes to work out now- but sometimes I just have to. Like right now there's so much junk in the streets from the recent flash flood that it's just not sane. Hmmm never stopped me before tho! haha