Healthy vegetarian, gluten-free meals I can eat?

I can't cook meat in my home because of my mom's strict religious practices so I can't really eat much meat. When I go out or hang out with my boyfriend, I eat meat like chicken and steak, but that's only 2-3 times a week. At home, I find myself eating sides and not really any real meals. I typically eat a lot of quinoa, green peas, and protein bars. (But they were soy protein-based and now I've just switched to whey protein powder, so I don't even eat the protein bars anymore.) What do I even eat? Everything my mom makes involves gluten! :( (Such as pasta, Indian rotis, garlic bread, etc.)

Replies

• Amommymoose
    Amommymoose Posts: 29 Member
    This blogger is gluten-free, but not vegetarian. But you might find some help there: http://www.heatherdegeorge.com/category/blog/

You could also find other food bloggers that are GF & vegetarian. I did a quick Google search and found this one: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/vegan-veg-index.html

Raw food recipe books are good for this, too, because they are 99.9% GF and vegan.

Could your mom use rice pasta? Tinkyada is a really good one and if you can't find it in a natural foods store, you could probably buy it online.

e-meals.com has a meal planning subscription service that offers GF or vegetarian and either can be adapted to accommodate both pretty easily.

We are not vegetarian, but some of the things we eat that could be:

Red Lentil Chili (from the blog I posted above)
    Vegetables sauteed and put in a collard leaf wrap like a burrito
    Miso soup with salad
    Spiralized green zucchini with tomato sauce (a spiralizer is like $20-$30 on Amazon)
    Fritatta (which is really just veggies cooked down a bit and then eggs added to make something like an egg casserole in a frying pan--or you could Google recipes for egg casseroles since you're vegetarian and not vegan)

Hope this helps...!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    My diary is open. Vegetarian, dairy free, grain free.

There are a number of good blogs and books around.