10 Things I Learned Training for a Half Marathon

Options
I just completed my first Half Marathon this past Saturday (2:38). I'm starting training next week for my second in October - though I guess maintenance would be a better word for it.

I was thinking today about all the things I've learned in the past 5 months and how I've never been a runner (this was my first distance race of any kind), I played tennis and softball way back when but I never had the endurance for running. Little did I know what I was missing (or maybe I was just too lazy to care). At any rate, this is what I've learned, read on if you want a good laugh, there are a few nuggets of genuine wisdom in there somewhere if you're currently training for a distance race. :)

1. No matter what anyone else says, I am not in fact crazy! And the next person to ask me 'Why?' when I say I'm training for a Half Marathon will receive the following answer: "I'm preparing for when I survive the apocalypse so I'll be ready to outrun all of the zombies."

2. The only person who cares how my butt looks in my running pants is me. And even then I only care for the first half mile or so, after that my rear and I reconcile our differences and agree to work as a team to get through the next several miles in one piece.

3. Bengay should only be used AFTER a run and BEFORE a shower. Reversing these two only leads to disaster.

4. It's better to listen to your body the first time, because she's always right and she'll just end up saying 'I told you so' later. Save yourself the headache, and all sorts of other aches, and just do as you're told.

5. The squirrels are not really out to get me. *Though I still maintain that *kitten* threw the branch at me and then practically fell out of the tree laughing. This lesson does not apply to snakes, snakes are most definitely out to get me, and I secretly suspect they hunt in packs and are lurking behind every tree, bush and rock on my route just waiting to jump out at me.

6. Hydration, nutrition and recovery time are as important as any other aspect of my training. I have to take care of my body if I expect it to meet my (at times unreasonable) demands.

7. Few things are worth the price we pay for them, sports bras, running shoes and socks are the exception. And to that end, only buy seamless sports bras (just try getting bandaids to stick THERE after an unfortunate chafing incident); try on as many pairs of running shoes as it takes to find the right one for me no matter how many dirty looks the sales person gives me (though in my experience they are much friendlier and patient at the Running Store).

8. Do not fear other runners, they are not out to get me; nor will they attempt to bite, shove or kick me. They won't judge me or talk down to me because I'm a novice. In fact it's better to run with a group of strangers who offer unconditional support and experienced advice, rather than alone.

9. Everyone is nervous before their first race. Just don't barf on anyone before it starts and you'll be fine. Make friends at the start line, find a Pace group with a hot Pacer and everything else will fall into place.

10. If it feels like work, I'm doing it wrong.

Replies

• authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You know, there is that run for life race we could do in missouri. We'll actually be chased by zombies. You know how i love zombies and wanting to kill them
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    I read about that! It's a 5k right? They also have some sort of paint run in KC that sounded like fun, you wear a white shirt and shorts and run through color stations where they throw what amounts to dry paint at you. It's suppose to be loads of fun. Urban route too. My friend Lindsay was also telling me about a Glow run they have coming up soon too, I guess people run in the dark in glow in the dark clothing or something?
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Great list. Loved this! thanks!
    Trained for 5 months only to miss out on a half-marathon two weeks ago. Might try for Fall.
    Good luck to you!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great advice and amusing. Thanks! I'm working on upping my miles but I've had issues (body hating me issues) with adding more miles. This might be TMI but I've had "runner's diarrhea" several times after only 4-4.5 miles. The only thing that *seems* to help is not eating or drinking before running. I feel guilty and like I'm hurting myself not consuming anything but it's HORRIBLE to have that issue.
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    Congrats on knocking your first half-marathon out! I am hoping to do one this yr myself (if my knees will co-operate)
    Love the list
  • 22colin
    22colin Posts: 31
    Options
    Good list; funny & entertaining - I've got a 1/2 coming up in July - I've made the note about not barfing - thanks :happy:
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    Trained for 5 months only to miss out on a half-marathon two weeks ago. Might try for Fall.
    Good luck to you!

You will get there!! I know how disappointing it can be to not meet your own expectations, but keep up the good work and it will happen!!
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    Great advice and amusing. Thanks! I'm working on upping my miles but I've had issues (body hating me issues) with adding more miles. This might be TMI but I've had "runner's diarrhea" several times after only 4-4.5 miles. The only thing that *seems* to help is not eating or drinking before running. I feel guilty and like I'm hurting myself not consuming anything but it's HORRIBLE to have that issue.

I struggled a little with this towards the middle of my training, at times I would have weeks where I was exhausted, unmotivated and my knees and ankles were stiff and sore. I would typically scale back, cross train and decrease my miles until I was feeling back to 100%. Then it was easier to tackle increasing my mileage when I was feeling rested, energized and pain free. And I suffered from the same runners issue after the Half as well!! Awful!! But that was the first time. My biggest hurdle while training was constant heartburn when running. My doctor recommended OTC antacids, both in pill and liquid form. I did that for a week leading up to the Half and then the day of and it worked like a charm. I might consult a doc and see if they have recommendations for you. Good Luck!! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!

Yup, me too, I ran a 10k in Feb instead of an HM after injuring my hip flexors a month before the race and losing 3 weeks of training.
    Bt, I'm running 14k in a few weeks and aiming for an HM again in August.

Thanks for this list, it gave me a giggle. Luckily there are no squirrels in my part of the world, but the magpies ARE definitely out to get me!
    I'd also add - if your body tells you it's injured - listen. Then get yourself to a health professional to get good advice about how to get un-injured.
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    Ahhhhh a world without squirrels??? Where is this heavenly place?? I must move immediately!! I'm serious, he threw a branch at me and then laughed! I think he was the Adam Sandler of squirrels. ;) As long as magpies can't throw branches I'll take my chances with them.

And I completely agree, if you're feeling injured defniitely seek help. It's better to get the proper treatment and minimize your down time than risk permanently hurting yourself. And training the right way to prevent injury is also incredibly important.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Love this! I am running my second half marathon on Sunday! My biggest concern at this point: the logistics of the parking situation. Lol
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I read about that! It's a 5k right? They also have some sort of paint run in KC that sounded like fun, you wear a white shirt and shorts and run through color stations where they throw what amounts to dry paint at you. It's suppose to be loads of fun. Urban route too. My friend Lindsay was also telling me about a Glow run they have coming up soon too, I guess people run in the dark in glow in the dark clothing or something?

the one wear they throw colors on the runners is The Color Run, I am signed up to do that 5k 6 days after my half. Should be interesting...and fun.
  • nnoland
    nnoland Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just learned my lesson on nutrition today. I had cookies for breakfast and my noon workout was SO HARD! The best sports bra I bought was $10 one at walmart, but you know what? It is seamless! Good recommendation that is so true about shoes. I did a half marathon a couple of years ago. Training for a triathlon now...Sometimes it does feel like work, but every time I do it I think if it hurts now it will be easier the next time, and it is!
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Are you using energy gels when you do these longer runs? Most of them give me the same problem. I've finally found one that works for me without sending me racing for the nearest porta-potty
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later...very interested in your journey as I'm in the beginning of mine!
  • Vurbach
    Vurbach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I needed this. My first half marathon is Sunday. I've been running for almost 2 years and have been training now for about 8 months. I'm so excited and so happy to hear I share a lot of the same feelings as you! This is a great post. Thank you so much!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I am training for my first two halfs..(I have two within two weeks of each other) and I am feeling really nervous about them. Laughing with you about what you learned helped. And it is nice to be reminded to listen to my body, and that if it feels like work, I am doing it wrong.

Awesome list.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    She is just getting over her phobia of squirrels and snakes and she wants to do the zombie 5k run?

THAT's going to be interesting.

:bigsmile:

Just kiddin'!

Great list! Glad you posted it. I need all the help I can get.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    4. It's better to listen to your body the first time, because she's always right and she'll just end up saying 'I told you so' later. Save yourself the headache, and all sorts of other aches, and just do as you're told.
    This bears repeating. If I were making a list, this would be on there several times, but I'd call my body "he" cuz I'm a dude.
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    Love this! I am running my second half marathon on Sunday! My biggest concern at this point: the logistics of the parking situation. Lol

lol I thought about mentioning Lesson number 11, Arrive early!!! ;) Fortunately I got there about 90 minutes before start time so we beat the crowd and avoided the logistical nightmare. It's worth it to get there extra early!

After I posted I went and looked up The Color Run. That's actually taking place the day after my 31st birthday and just a few days before the July 4th 10k I'm signed up for. So I think I'm definitely going to do it. It will make for an awesome birthday weekend!! Incidentally, last year my idea of an awesome birthday weekend was an entire quarter sheet cake to myself and enough alcohol to forget that I ate the whole cake ... or enough alcohol to deny I ate it anyway. :)

Good Luck on Sunday!!! And have fun at your Color Run too!!