Stomach pain after cardio workout?

Options
Does anyone else notice a stomach pain after working out? It seems after any intense cardio I do I get a slight pain in my lower abdomen. Just wondering if I'm the only one...

Replies

• MissKWoman
    MissKWoman Posts: 2
    Options
    I tend to get stomach cramps really easily during high intensity cardio. Even if it's been a few hours since I've eaten. It's painful and annoying. I don't know what to do to help it... or if you're experiencing the same thing. Maybe someone will have a suggestion!
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I suppose it is a cramp I'm feeling, didn't quite know how to explain it. Lol. Hope someone can help us!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think I read that long distance runners sometimes experience some kind of acidic build up that can cause pain after a long run.

Anyone know more about that?
  • devilsangel3
    Options
    I get seriously intense abdominal cramps (think labour pains) when I do intense cardio in the week prior to TOM. Have had tests and scans but nothing shows up. I have researched it online and seems quite common but no one can say for sure what causes it or how to stop it.

I have tried many theories - not drinking too much water, not eating close to exercise, making sure I breathe properly, yada, yada, yada - nothing has helped. Mybe one of these things will work for you though because everyone seems to be different.
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The acidic buildup is due to your muscles producing lactic acid which makes the muscles sore, It will subside within a few hours.

I believe it is best to take it down a notch and build up your endurance , which I know is hard but I see it this way that I might burn a bit more on the day I get cramps by doing really high intensity cardio but due to that I might not be able to workout the next day. Effectively you will have missed out on a whole sessions worth of calorie burn for a couple of hundred of calories burnt on the high intensity workout.

It is very tempting to keep pushing your self to see quick results but the body does need rest, in my case I actually weigh lesser after my rest days than my work out days.

Hope This helps!! Keep on track of your journey!!
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get seriously intense abdominal cramps (think labour pains) when I do intense cardio in the week prior to TOM. Have had tests and scans but nothing shows up. I have researched it online and seems quite common but no one can say for sure what causes it or how to stop it.

I have tried many theories - not drinking too much water, not eating close to exercise, making sure I breathe properly, yada, yada, yada - nothing has helped. Mybe one of these things will work for you though because everyone seems to be different.

In my experience if I am incorrectly positioned while doing the work out, for eg bending over too much on the exercise bike I develop the cramps, You could evaluate if an incorrect position is causing your cramps
  • shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to get a side stitch (that painful feeling in the bottom right part of your abdomen usually) every time I tried to jog. After months of building up my stamina, I never get them any more unless under very specific circumstances.

1. If I've just eaten and am way too full

or

2. If I'm drinking ice cold water while I'm exercising. I only did that twice before I abruptly remembered that I had been told not to do that. The huge temperature difference makes your body work harder to warm it up while it's already busy trying to power your muscles on a long jog.

So! My advice is to not push it too hard and as you become more used to the exercise you are doing the cramps will eventually stop on their own. If it's in a different part of your body, I dunno though =D
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    All great advice. Thank you :-)