Favorite Food lists (with recipes!)

Options
Okay, let's do a show-and-tell of sorts. What are your comfort "good for you" foods and how do you make 'em (or where do you find them)? I'll start:

BREAKFAST:
0.75 cups Life cereal with 0.5 cup of skim milk
2 cups black coffee with truvia & 0.25 cup of skim milk

SNACK:
naval orange or 3 large pitted dates (from Sam's)
0.5 cups 2% cottage cheese

LUNCH:
Any Healthy Choice TV dinner
5 saltines or a slice of Healthy Choice bread

SNACK:
black bean brownie (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/black-bean-brownies-2-pts.html)
or
5 dark chocolate Dove squares
20 baked Kettle chips

DINNER:
pancit -- recipe below

LATE NIGHT SNACK:
Skinny cow caramel chocolate truffle bars (150 cals!)

Low Cal Pancit (Filipino stir fry)

-- package of rice sticks (such as Kame or Dynasty brand)
-- 2 TBSP canola oil, divided
-- 16 oz chopped chicken breast - raw
-- 1 TBSP garlic chili paste (such as Huy Fong brand)
-- 1 small onion, chopped
-- 1/2 bunch bok choy, chopped (separate whites & leaves)
-- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger, or 1/2 tsp ginger powder
-- 2 garlic cloves, minced
-- 1 large carrot, shredded
-- 1/2 small red cabbage, thinly shredded
-- 2 TBSP soy sauce (or to taste)
-- 1 can chicken broth, divided
-- 2 TBSP oyster sauce

1. In a large bowl, soak rice sticks in tap water for 10 minutes or until you're finished cooking meats & veggies. I usually cut the dry bundles in half with kitchen shears so they fit in the bowl.

2. Heat wok or large skillet (with tall sides) on medium-high heat. Add 1 TBSP canola oil and allow to heat up. Add meat & chili paste and cook until meat is done (2 to 4 minutes). Set aside.

3. Add remaining oil. Once heated, drop in onion and bok choy whites. Stir fry until soft. Then, add garlic, ginger (raw or powder), carrot, bok choy greens, cabbage, and soy sauce. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Pour in 1/2 C. chicken broth and cook until everything is soft (10 - 12 mins). Remove and set aside with meat.

4. Turn heat down to medium -- liquids left should be bubbling. Add remainder of chicken broth and oyster sauce. Drain rice sticks and drop into wok with liquids. Cook until noodles are coated, soft, and until and most of the liquid evaporates. Return meats & veggies to wok and mix with noodles (I use tongs to lift and separate noodles with other ingredients).

Makes 8 huge servings -- each 190 calories.

Replies

• tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow! Their Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches are my favorite! I don't really have any recipes right now, but I do love 1% cottage cheese. I have a cup for breakfast every day. I'm also really into hard boiled eggs right now. They are a great way to get some protein and they keep me feeling full and energetic in the afternoon. White Chocolate Macadamia Clif Bars are my absolute favorite for filling & fast (and they taste like a cookie!!)

Great idea, keep sharing! I like new ideas for foods. :flowerforyou: