people who lost weight without exercising

Options

Replies

• scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you dont exercise--- no weights, just do SS cardio, or HIIT cardio

Your "weight" loss will included lean muscle and body fat, the latter is what you want to get rid off, the former you want to retain... I did this for 3 months, yes I loss a bunch of weight, but with it went a bunch of lean muscle, at 248 lbs I did not care about the consequences... If i only listened to what I was telling myself... :grumble:

If you do exercise--- Weight training (lift heavy, low volume) x3 days a week or so. No cardio...

Your weight loss will be mainly body fat, and yes some lean muscle, but the weights will better preserve it, and prevent the losses you get from doing no weights at all. Assuming your diet and macros are kept solid. Currently doing this and still dropping weight, and feeling much better about it, knowing that it is mainly body fat.

Just talking from my experiences, and some great reading... Google BodyRecomp.com, or RippedBody.jp.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Exercise is awesome across the board. Increased rate of fat loss, strength gains, healthier organs, healthier mind. I recommend it!

But no, you don't have to do it to lose the pounds.
  • dbattles0182
    Options
    Honestly, watching what you eat and just going for walks you can lose weight. One reason why I like this website is because I can track what I eat on a daily basis.
  • shyrina25
    shyrina25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I dont work out unless u count running after my toddler lol. i lost 54 pounds
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    weight loss is 90%diet.

If you want to look good, watch what you eat.

If you want to look good naked, watch what you eat and exercise.
    BINGO!! :drinker:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should add that being suddenly more active (i.e. starting exercising) has the effect on me of making sweet, fattening, or otherwise heavy foods really unappealing, so it is also easier for me to eat healthier if I've been exercising.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should add that being suddenly more active (i.e. starting exercising) has the effect on me of making sweet, fattening, or otherwise heavy foods really unappealing, so it is also easier for me to eat healthier if I've been exercising.

That is so true, studies have shown that people who exercise, tend to take their diet more seriously. They make healthier choices, and keep weight off longer.

Also exercise is will be needed at some point to keep weight off, whether anyone likes it or not, most people will have to incorporate some form of exercise for long term maintenance of weight. it is a full time job. Not just one you do for a short period of time. i would assume that most people here have had weight issues for most of their lives, ups and downs. Of all those down times how many people exercised? Didn't think so... so going back to what I said in the beginning, exercise, although not "necessary" for weight loss, doing it regularly helps to keep people focused, and make better more healthier choices in the long run... I m not talking a year from now, but YEARS from now.
  • amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thank you all for sharing your stories and opinions with me :))
    congrats to all of you who have successfully lost weight with or without exercising :))
    i don't want to be skinny- fat,but at this point i just don't want to be fat anymore. i want to reach my goal weight and i hope to get there with healthy eating. i'm definitelly going to start doing cardio and strenght training after i lose a bit of weight.
    thank you once again :))
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you all but I workout to:
    1. sleep better
    2. I make better food choices when I exercise
    3. Prevent diabetes and heart disease (#1 killer for women, right?)
    4. I like to do things outside like hike and garden
    5. My Mom spent 18 months fighting cancer. One of the ways to prevent cancer is to exercise
    6. Keep the immune system strong, I travel a lot for work and it really helps (darn germs on planes and I also work with germy college students)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    thank you all for sharing your stories and opinions with me :))
    congrats to all of you who have successfully lost weight with or without exercising :))
    i don't want to be skinny- fat,but at this point i just don't want to be fat anymore. i want to reach my goal weight and i hope to get there with healthy eating. i'm definitelly going to start doing cardio and strenght training after i lose a bit of weight.
    thank you once again :))

Plus, women starting at age 30 begin to lose bone and muscle mass. As my doctor tells me: "you don't want to be all hunched over when you're old, do you?"
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    I have lost almost 30 pounds in about 3.5 - 4.0 months, consistently losing around 0.5 - 1.5 lbs per week and have not been "working out". I don't belong to a gym or have a home gym (yet!), but have been simply walking outside more. So while I'm not seriously exercising, I have increased my activity level.

Very soon I plan to start lifting to help with strength and muscle building. We'll see how it affects my weight loss.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Originally, I didn't think I had time to exercise - you know, one of those excuses we tell ourselves instead of actually TRYING. I did lose weight consistently with counting calories alone, but my jiggly spots still jiggled. I've started exercising about 3-4 times a week. Simple stuff - walking for 1 hour at a fast pace (right at 4 miles, with about a 500 calorie burn for me), and I'm adding in strength training w/ dumbbells (only 5 lb weights - but I'm going today for heavier dumbbells). My weight loss has slowed/stalled/and even had a gain, but my body is changing greatly! My jiggle doesn't jiggle as much - my muscles are getting bigger and more firm...and I feel SO MUCH BETTER. You can lose fat through eating alone, but why be a jiggly slim when you can be firm and more fit? I use the scale as a general guideline; however, when I don't lose weight on the scale, yet I can fit in a smaller size (same brand and cut) pair of jeans, I know exercise and eating right is the way to go. The farther you go on your weight loss journey, your goals will change. Maybe exercise isn't right for you right now, but don't be shocked if it becomes a part of your journey as well. Don't be afraid of change...this is what this journey is all about! :) Good luck friend!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Studies of people who have lost a considerable amount of weight and kept it off for 5 years or more have shown that one of the main reasons for their success is making exercise a part of their lifestyle.

Losing weight is relatively easy, it's keeping it off long-term that's hard. I lost 52 lbs on MFP in a year, kept it all off for a year but have been struggling the past 5-6 months. Trust me, without exercise I would have likely gained back more than 5 lbs of what I lost!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    1. sleep better
    5. My Mom spent 18 months fighting cancer. One of the ways to prevent cancer is to exercise
    6. Keep the immune system strong, I travel a lot for work and it really helps (darn germs on planes and I also work with germy college students)

^^^ I love this answer!!!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Even at my top weight I walked to and from work (1.6 miles each way) and about 1 mile with my dog every evening. That is a total of about 4 miles per day.

I haven't really increased my work outs during this weight loss. I am doing that to be strategic. I find that when I jog or do crazy work outs I am crazy hungry. And one can argue that 4 miles per day is a decent amount of activity - it isn't huge, but it isn't couch potato either.

So, for now, I am just keeping up my walking, increasing the pace, and adding a few extra blocks to taking the dog out a few times per week. I have lost over 80 pounds and it has been from eating around 1,500 calories per day, mostly clean food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't beleive that anyone can't lose weight while exercising. Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, other than to burn more calories and create more of a deficit. You can certainly lose without exercising if you create a calorie deficit. But exercise has so many health benefits beyond weight loss, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yes I lost the majority of my weight without exercising much. I just started working out, trying to start running, lifting weights, etc... I was so heavy and miserable before, I have to hand it to people who are 300 pounds and working out daily. I couldn't have done it unless forced to with a gun to my head. I hated exercise. I've just now began to like it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I did exercise but not that much and I only did cardio, so I very well could have lost weight without it. All you need to lose weight is a caloric deficit. You don't need exercise (to lose weight, that is)

Now that I am a good weight I still am not satisfied with my body lol (which is because I did no strength training) so yes I am working out more now to "tone up"
  • Onesnap
    Options
    1. sleep better

^^^ I love this answer!!!

THANK YOU. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I don't beleive that anyone can't lose weight while exercising. Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss, other than to burn more calories and create more of a deficit. You can certainly lose without exercising if you create a calorie deficit. But exercise has so many health benefits beyond weight loss, I wouldn't recommend it.

"Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss..."

Prove it. Show me the science on that one, please.