Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    breathing incorrectly.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon for those new to running. A trick somebody told me years ago that always works: slow down (walk or very light jog) and raise your arms over your head. Focus on breathing into the area of the stitch. It should go away very quickly when you do this.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    improper breathing while you run or drinking too much liquid before you run, but my bet is probably on the breathing

^^Agree

I read a runners world article a few years ago which recommended singing whilst running to break up the rhythm of breath to step but equally I've heard people saying that getting breathing in sync with steps is good also. Either way try to relax and breath naturally when running.

^^this

try to exhale on your left foot when you run. That's what I do (and I've taught my kids) and we don't get the side stitch at all. Good luck and have fun.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have learnt to breath in through your mouth out through your nose until the stitch passes. I find that it is an eay way to regulate my breathing.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this topic!! This happened to me on my run last night, too! I am also going to try to work on steadying my breathing.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! went on a run last night and it was so much better! i think key for me is to focus on my breathing more and also relax a bit as i tend to tense up when im running and also not eat anything big in the few hours before i go!

thanks! xxx
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Great result. Thanks for posting back to let us know.:smile: