can you look at my diary please and advise?!

Options
okay, so my aim is to lean bulk and build muscle, i know my gym regime is ok and i think my diet is ok too but i would like some extra opinions, my diary is always open.

like i said the aims is to build muscle leanly, my aim is 300-500 calorie surpluss daily, (my goal eating is set to 1/2lb a week and i try to go around 100-200 over this, soo 350-450 generally in surplus and i add all exercise calories back in too.
the main reason i am asking is that since monday i have actually dropped 1kg of weight. i am thinking becasue of my new diet i have dropped off alot of excess water and the mirror would agree with me lol. if i dont gain around 0.5kg by next friday from my lowest weight which was today so far, i plan on adding 500 more calorie if it still declines, and 300 more if the weight stays the same.

so can you help advise me please?

Replies

• AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First of all, up your protein and cut down on the carbs.

I'd advise you to eat less sugar (unless it's coming from fruit and such) and try to eat less sodium. Then I'm wondering how much you exercise and if you really need to eat 3000 cals a day?
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'd be surprised if you need over 300grams protein per day, even for muscle building - my understanding is 4g per kg of lean body weight is the top end of the suggestion for muscle maintenance/building (2g per lb).

From a purely healthy eating standpoint, I'd suggest you desperately need more vegies (based on last 3 days).
  • Zero2hero2013
    Zero2hero2013 Posts: 458
    Options
    okies, well i am 6ft 2 and weigh 87kg, have around 12-13% bodyfat currently making my lean mass around 76-77kg, x4 =304-308g :-) so im actually spot on there then, i agree i should eat more veggies but im not really a fruit and veggies person but il try better.
    also amanda panda, 3200-3400 cals is nothing for a man of my size considering i am trying to build muscle, hence why i stated it is only 350-450 calories above what i am outputting.
    i am training 4 times a week with weights, split into 2 days on 1 off then 2 days on and weekend off, but as i previously stated again i am after mastering my food intake.

one thing i havent added though is that i take, zma, a-z multi vitamin, 2 flax seed capsules loaded with omega 3. and a test booster.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    ohh and my sugar intak eis high because of 2 bananas a day, and a pint of orange juice, i know the yogurt has extra sugar in it but its the only one i actually love to eat hehe
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    also just realised that i get around 60-70g of sugar from milk a day, hmm didnt realise the milk was having such an effect. maybe i can find an alternative for my protein shakes. any ideas low sugar milk that tastes ok?, (will be mixed with flavourse whey proteins anyway)
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Try Almond milk mate, have a look into it. I always hear great things about that.
  • SarahMay272727
    SarahMay272727 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Soya milk's pretty good too, I think
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    i have just looked at the tinternet about lactose, apparently i dont need to worry about it, i would know if i had a porblem, im drinking around 2 pints of milk daily lol and 500g of yogurt. just this alone is over 100g a day mark. if i take all healthy options of sugars out it actually doesnt leave much sugar in my diet at all which is what i thought intitally. i would rather have the casien protein from milk then swap to almond milk which has 1g instead of the average 3.5-4.5 in most milks.

thinking i am regretting making this post now. just wish people would actually look through the diary properly and not just jump to the totals at the bottom, although i am not sure if anyone has even looked at all.......
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Who told you that you need 1 gram of protein per gram of lean mass? Most people on here will say 1 gram of protein per pound (1kg = 2.2 lbs). At 78kg that's only 170 grams per day. You could increase your fat. You're just barely at the minimum you should be eating. (LBM in lbs x .35)
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    true, but the only reason i am minimising fat currently as i want to stay lean, i think if my weight doesnt budge over the next week i will add something with some healthy fats in. i do try and eat salmon quite alot altough this week havent had chance yet. maybe a friday treat :-)
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would drop the pint of orange juice before you drop the milk. Eating the whole orange is much better for you :smile:

Also stop all the "fat free" stuff and go for the real deal as the fat free is often higher in sugar and sodium.

Have to agree with the more veg. Try hiding it in things like your chicken bake etc. so it's less noticeable.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    thast more along my trail of thinking too, or maybe try and replace this onken craving i have with something that has less sugar and lactose in it as i have no idea how much of it is sugar and lactose.... im guessing it probably 2/3rds lactosse but might have to google it
  • msalbino
    msalbino Posts: 7
    Options
    I am no health buff but I would agree that alot of fresh fruits and vegies cant hurt , keep up the good work :smooched:
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    i would eat apples but i have a oral alergic reaction to the skins of the apples and it makes my gums sore. i tried taking the skin off the apples but got fed up too quick lol. i like the oranges idea, i can add peas and carrots to my lunch more often which i think would help too.
  • slay0r
    Options
    I was thinking the fats as well, the only reason I mentioned the almond milk was the sugar content if you were wanting to reduce that, some of the almond milks I've seen don't seem to have much sugar in them.

I've got a couple of people on here that eat 50% fat 25% protein 25% carbs and they're some of the leanest machines out there, I wouldn't be too concerned with healthy fats and being lean. Quite a few paleo people eat high in natural fats and they all seem to be in quite amazing shape (the ones I have on MFP anyway)

I'd say your protein is right though I wouldn't mess around with it, I'd give what you're doing a try for a few weeks and increase if you don't see gains we're all different.
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cherry tomatoes are good too. you can add them in anywhere or pop them like candy. Just don't add salt. As for your protein, even for people who want to build muscle and bulk up, it is reccomended 1g of protein per pound of lean mass. Your body cant handle much more and you are just peeing it out and possibly overloading your kidneys with it.
  • slay0r
    Options
    I would drop the pint of orange juice before you drop the milk. Eating the whole orange is much better for you :smile:

Also stop all the "fat free" stuff and go for the real deal as the fat free is often higher in sugar and sodium.

Have to agree with the more veg. Try hiding it in things like your chicken bake etc. so it's less noticeable.

Your Yoghurt has like 55g of sugar which is almost all of your macro for it. (going off MFP)

You don't need fat free, I'd say you actually needed the fats especially the way you exercise. Try a normal natural brand with less sugar in it.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hello mate, as your in my friends list I know what your goals are, if I had to add my input I would say try add some nuts and dried fruit to your diet and also a touch more veg and fruit. I would do away with that pint of orange juice though. other than that not bad for a busy man
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the orange juice switch for whole fruit suggestion.

I work long hours so don't really cook meals during the week - last night was a pan-fried steak (I use a small frypan so the cleanup isn't too bad) with microwaved frozen broccoli and cauliflower topped with butter. If you need more flavour for the vegies you could just put some grated cheese on top once they're cooked or perhaps mustard (eg. Dijon). I'm following the Primal Blueprint so don't eat grains and am currently trying to reduce my carbs but if you feel the need for something 'stodgy' you could look at boiling a combo of potatoes/sweet potatoes/cauliflower to turn into mash - cook a batch and reheat over a couple of nights, no need to be concerned about adding butter and milk with your goals of gaining.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    mixed things up today, have a look at todays intake :-)