Low Carb, high protein

Options
Morning all,

Can someone advise what are the guidelines if i want to try to do low carb, high protein?

I'm only considering at the moment, but want to explore things that migth make the weight loss start moving.

thanks

Replies

• dollaqie
    dollaqie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I started out with my weight loss since January 2012 and did lose with eating a healthy diet consisting of all the food groups, combined with exercise, then my weight loss slowed down and came to a standstill for nearly 3 weeks. I then started a low carb, high protein approach but at the momemt I"m doing it every alternate day, for instance today I had my oats and honey for breakfast as well as my apple for a snack, tomorrow I would only eat food on the high protein diet, no carbs, dairy products and no fruits. I started doing this last week and dropped 2kg's in one week................this is working for me, also when I do have a carb day, I up my cardio exercise that afternoon and also replace my dinner with a meal replacement.

My personal trainer at gym suggested that if you do have carbs, to eat it before 13:00, and thereafter no more carbs, especially not for dinner.

Would love to know other's opinions aswell!!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    For sure. I very easily lost 70-80 pounds using the system of Dr. LUTZ and Gary TAUBES.

I'm losing the last 15 pounds now, which is easy. (And I'm almost 50 .. so many people struggle as they get older to lose fat.)

I urge you to read the two books "Life without bread" by Lutz and "Why we get fat" by Taubes.

(1) you must eat 72 grams of carbohydrates per day, accurately, no more or less

(2) if you do this for say 1-2 months, it becomes incredibly easy. you will have NO cravings at all for carbohydrate rubbish. you will be in incredible health, and always full of energy. fat will fall off your body. you do need to STICK TO , EXACTLY, 72 grams per day - particularly in the first 2-3 months

(3) other than that - eat ANYTHING. ANYTHING YOU WANT, ANYTHING AT ALL. But you must stick to exactly 72 grams carbohydrates per day

(4) In my opinion, based on a lot of research and reading - you should NOT DO the "daily cycling" you describe. You then get NO BENEFIT from the low-carb days! Your body makes fat in the presence of carbs, it's that simple - it's what your pancreas does. if you have low carbs for "one day" - you achieve absolutely nothing. indeed, you would be better of to just go ahead and eat carbs that day as well! heh! Also having NO carbs just hurts your body - what you want is exactly 72 grams of carbs each day. Do that for a month, and you will be a new person. The critical thing is, what you WANT to eat will CHANGE - that's the secret.

(If you MUST do some sort of cycling thing, do it on a basis of about 8 days. Eat 72 grams of carbs per day for 8 days, and then have one day where you eat, let's say, 110 grams of carbs. But really you should just forget this idea and stick to 72 grams of carbs every day. But whatever you do, stop the "one-day" cycling, it will just hurt your pancreas!)

I very strongly urge you to read "Life without bread" by Dr Lutz. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark.

Secondly I urge you to NOT do the alternate day thing: this is a total waste. there is still heaps of CHO in your system from the previous day. Pick an amount - indeed, 72 grams! -- and eat that much carbs every day. Try it just FOR ONE WEEK, even, and see if you love it. I think you will. the first few days can be hard, then it is easy, and then you are flying on energy.

Enjoy! Pls read the books! You'll never find good info on the internet :)
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks both, your responces have been really informative.

we'll i've had 79g of carbs today, none in my evening meal, so i think i'll mark today as a trial run and crack on tomorrow making wiser choices.

thanks for your insight i hope this gets the weights moving :)
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    carbs pack on weight. its recoommended to stay away from carbs at night because when you sleep your not burning them off as much as you do while active.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    carbs pack on weight. its recoommended to stay away from carbs at night because when you sleep your not burning them off as much as you do while active.

nonsense as to the timing. It does not matter even a litle bit when you eat.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I suppose you recommend eating all your calorie intake in the morning and get the eating out of the way since it doesn't matter, even a little bit when you eat them.... Hmmmm.....