Do you eat just before bed?

Options
<
:smile: I am the one in the black t-shirt I always stop eating 3 hours before bed! Does anyone else do this?? I feel a little hungry before I fall asleep but never starving. Just wondering if I am doing the right thing by doing this. Would love to hear your thoughts!!:smile:

Replies

• tinawharrison
    tinawharrison Posts: 123
    Options
    Hey, I always eat something about an hour before I go to bed, I sleep better if i'm not hungry. I just don't eat starchy carbs.
    I have something like, cheese, carrots and hummus and sometimes a protein shake too (if i'm low on NET calories that day). :wink:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I do. What time you eat has absolutely nothing to do with weightloss. It's a myth that you have to stop eating after a certain time.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    weight loss wise as long as you are within your calories meal timing has no affect. Do that makes you happy. Most nights ( as long as I have calories left ) I have a bowl of ice cream or some kind of snack at bed time.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <
    :smile: I am the one in the black t-shirt I always stop eating 3 hours before bed! Does anyone else do this?? I feel a little hungry before I fall asleep but never starving. Just wondering if I am doing the right thing by doing this. Would love to hear your thoughts!!:smile:

If I am still hungry, sure why not? But there is no right or wrong on that. But certainly it seems likely that following this rule you have made for yourself, you will not have digestion to blame for insomnia. If you sleep well and you don't wake up in the middle of the night hungry, stick with what works for you. Your body could care less when, in a 24 hour cycle, that you eat. Your fast may a bit longer than some, which again is not a bad thing at all. If it works for you, stay with it.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My last food is consumed before 7pm every night. Some times I will have something but it would be
    A protein bar that satisfies my sometimes sweet tooth.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I've forgotten those last 200 calories or my stomach's attempting to eat itself. Otherwise, not usually. I stick to the mealtimes I learnt as a small child and generally have dinner at 6pmish and then done for the day!
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My last food is consumed before 7pm every night. Some times I will have something but it would be
    A protein bar that satisfies my sometimes sweet tooth.

Exactly what I do! So I'm not the only one LOL!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat 3-500 of my daily 1500 calories an hour before bed, not stopped me getting rid of 56lbs! X
  • georgeaj2000
    georgeaj2000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There's no conclusive evidence to say that eating after a certain time at night will affect your weight loss or not. As long as you're creating a calorie defecit every day then you will continue to lose weight. There is some research to say that eating carbs prior to sleep can actually help sleep as it raises serotonin which acts as a natural tranquelizer, whilst eatig protein can have the opposite affect and stimulate the brain. But at the end of the day everyone is different and you should do what works for you.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I tried stopping eating 3 hours before bed...Didn`t do it for me...I ended up pigging on junk...So went back to a small protein shake 1 hour before..Keeps me sane..
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I eat 3-500 of my daily 1500 calories an hour before bed, not stopped me getting rid of 56lbs! X

:tongue: Wow amazing! Well done! Thanks for sharing that with me! :flowerforyou: Now i wont be so worried to eat before bed now!:drinker:
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Your heart needs a rest at bedtime, that's why you sleep. It's very dangerous to put your heart through all that work, it's like overtime for your system. Very bad idea....2 hours - not so bad....but of curse it depends on what it is...
  • NorseMaiden
    NorseMaiden Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of oatmeal 1 hour before bed. It gives my metabolism something to do while I sleep. I think it's helped me lose my weight.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been known to consume up to 1000 of my daily calories anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour before I go to bed. I've lost 56lbs and kept it off since Sept 2010.

Your body doesn't stop working simply because you go to bed. For most people, it isn't about WHEN they eat, it is WHAT they are eating. Ask most people and they'll tell you they had ice cream, chips, cookies, etc before they went to bed. Those items pushed them over their daily calories and that is why they gained weight. Also, if you suffer from acid indigestion (I have GERD, but take medication for it) eating and then going to lay down can cause some stomach issues.

If I try and go to bed without eating, I'll wake in the middle of the night starving and when this happens? I eat crap food. Better to eat something decent before bed.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Your heart needs a rest at bedtime, that's why you sleep. It's very dangerous to put your heart through all that work, it's like overtime for your system. Very bad idea....2 hours - not so bad....but of curse it depends on what it is...

I've been eating before bed seriously my entire life. I've had heart tests done and guess what? It is textbook perfect, so I highly doubt my eating before bed is dangerous or going to kill me.
  • ajay96
    ajay96 Posts: 10
    Options
    This has made me feel loads better, because I tend to have a couple of ryvita's with low fat cream cheese on about an hour before bed and i have always worried that I am eating too late!
  • manderson01
    manderson01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just saw Bob Harper on a show the other day and he said not to eat 3hrs before bed and u should go to bed a little hungry.
  • IamPaulineGilesFitness
    Options
    My last meal is 3 hours before bed (food wise) so it can digest. BUT I do take a Casein protein & PB shake 45 mins prior to bedtime...just helps to release protein in my body.

Just depends who you listen to & what Nutritionist you're following etc.
  • leenna50
    leenna50 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would never eat before going to bed. I would be forever tossing and turning and my brain trying to figure out whether to sleep or relax or digest the food i have just eaten. it really depends on your metabolism rate. As you grow older, your metalolism rate automatically slows down and thats when you pile on the pounds.