Calories Pre- and During Diet Phase

Options
Before I began eating healthy and dieting/attempting to shed some pounds, I was eating (on non-binge days) anywhere from 1200-1400/day. I am moderately active when not exercising, even as a SAHM to our 2-year-old. I'm always changing her, chasing her, cleaning the house, cooking (I spend hours cooking)... so I don't sit and watch TV all day even when I'm lazy.

Now that I'm exercising consistently and not every other week, for abotu 30-90 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week... I find my progress not horribly slow, but slow. My calorie goal now is 1300, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't decrease it since my body is used to getting 1300 even without dieting? Cutting out pizza day, cutting out lots of over indulgent snacking and now exercising a bit, I've lost 7lbs and need to lose about 16-20lbs more. Ideally, I'd like to do that by August.

So... should I cut calories? I've heard and read the Eat More, Weigh Less but I (1) haven't plateaued and (2) tried it once to only gain, gain, gain. And yes, I stayed on it for longer than a week ;-)

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    That is not enough food. You need to play the long game here and ensure that you set up something sustainable. You need to ensure you are eating enough to keep up with those kids!

I would recommend a fortnight of eating at maintenance (TDEE), and YES, you will gain a good few lbs here as your body resets. Don't panic. You can lose it again.

Then, and only then, reduce your calories to TDEE less 15%. You should then start losing again, steadily. Probably only about 1lb a week but you will be healthier, happier, more energetic. you will also have a plan you can keep for life by having a greater understanding of your body. Oh, and a feeling of freedom too! Yes, I'm evangelic about this.

It is worth sacrificing a couple of weeks and a few lbs gain for that, no?
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also, you will probably find that if you eat more every day, you will binge less. :-)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    That is not enough food. You need to play the long game here and ensure that you set up something sustainable. You need to ensure you are eating enough to keep up with those kids!

Ditto!