Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why is it?

Is it just me or as soon as people know you're being good and trying to lose weight they immediately try and sabotage your efforts with whatever they can, I've found this happens every time I tell people what I'm doing, so this time I've told minimal people, no sabotage!

Replies

• dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Sometimes it is sabotage... sometimes it's just out of habit. They are used to coming to you with whatever it is. But yes... I have had several SABOTAGERS over the past few years. My cowowrker now loves to burn those super sweet smelling "candles", they smell like cake, cookies, muffins & pies..I have complained about this 1000x times and told her why it bothers me. All can think of is sweets, she continues to run the wickless "candles".
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Is it just me or as soon as people know you're being good and trying to lose weight they immediately try and sabotage your efforts with whatever they can, I've found this happens every time I tell people what I'm doing, so this time I've told minimal people, no sabotage!

I always let them figure it out for themselves. That actually gives me one more measuring stick... When I've lost enough for them to start noticing... And of course when I get within 50 lbs of my goal when they start saying "you don't need to lose any more"... This is a common problem. People's mindset is to EAT... (I understand.. It used to be mine too)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Also... It may be possible that they were that way all along.. It is just now that you are trying to lose weight... you are beginning to notice the "sabotage"... Still frustrating though!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Stick to your guns. I had a strick " I don't eat Donuts at the office" policy when I worked out of the home. Most people were pretty respectful of it and would tell if there was Fruit or Coffee involved.
  • BLSBoyer
    BLSBoyer Posts: 36 Member
    In the last year I have quit smoking and lost weight... I have found that especially your family and those around you who you engage in bad habits with (both of my parents are smokers, my mother and brother shared the same eating problems as I had), tend to subconsciously wish that you would not change your lifestyle because it reflects on their own. When I was quitting smoking, my parents would leave their cigarettes and lighters out on the counter almost as if tempting me to take one. Somehow I never cheated, but it definitely made it a lot tougher. When I first started trying to lose weight, my mother would incessantly bake all of my favorites and my brother would keep asking me to take him out on snack runs like we used to. They don't want to change their habits and it almost agitates them that you would want to because they are going to have a much harder time justifying their habits. Stay strong and remember that you could be the inspiration for them someday. :)

17816880.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member

I always let them figure it out for themselves. That actually gives me one more measuring stick... When I've lost enough for them to start noticing...

I've been doing this too, hoping that people would point it out, at almost 2 stone lighter its only the ones who know that have mentioned it lol
  • In the last year I have quit smoking and lost weight... I have found that especially your family and those around you who you engage in bad habits with (both of my parents are smokers, my mother and brother shared the same eating problems as I had), tend to subconsciously wish that you would not change your lifestyle because it reflects on their own. When I was quitting smoking, my parents would leave their cigarettes and lighters out on the counter almost as if tempting me to take one. Somehow I never cheated, but it definitely made it a lot tougher. When I first started trying to lose weight, my mother would incessantly bake all of my favorites and my brother would keep asking me to take him out on snack runs like we used to. They don't want to change their habits and it almost agitates them that you would want to because they are going to have a much harder time justifying their habits. Stay strong and remember that you could be the inspiration for them someday. :)

17816880.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I completely agree. I also feel like the people who are watching you make changes in your lifestlyle who should probably be making similar changes are almost angry with you for doing well. It becomes kind of saddening or discouraging because they are sometimes the people who should be offering the most support and extra motivation. It is important to remain strong even without the support of your close friends and family and I agree that keeping a positive attitude and staying on track may someday help you be an inspiration to those around you :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    LOL I tend to have the opposite effect. Since I have started losing weight and eating better several of the guys where I work have decided to do the same. I was out with a few of them recently and when we ordered food I ordered something reasonably healthy (broasted chicken and veggies) while they were going for the fried stuff. They all changed their orders and got the same thing I did.