SAHM's

Options
We have a 2.5 year old special needs daughter and my husband's work has him on a weird shift where it's impossible for me to join any classes right now because I also don't have a babysitter. (VERY hard to find a normal babysitter willing to work with a special needs child). We own a treadmill and I have a bike with a trailer that I use if hubby isn't home to watch her for me, but I'm finding it difficult to do regular work outs to DVD's because I'd MUCH rather be in a class.

Any other SAHM's with the same problem, or something similar? We also couldn't afford too many classes so, I'm pretty stuck LOL

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You don't need classes. Buy a DVD or two and work out when you have a spare half hour. There are loads of workouts for free on exercisetv.tv and bodyrock.tv. If you don't feel like you can dedicate 30 minutes in a chunk, try this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/ If nothing else, do what I've been doing this week, and sneak off into the bedroom for 5 or 10 minutes at a time to do some jumping jacks, pushups, crunches, squats, and plants. Take a walk with the baby. Dance with the baby. Just MOVE.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Britt-- God bless you. I read your profile-- bless your sweet daughter.:heart::flowerforyou:

I'm a mom of 9-- two are grown and gone, but 7 in the home and I homeschool the elementary kids.

It is tough to find time, but it is possible. I encourage you to squeeze it in when you can.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Britt-- God bless you. I read your profile-- bless your sweet daughter.

I'm a mom of 9-- two are grown and gone, but 7 in the home and I homeschool the elementary kids.

It is tough to find time, but it is possible. I encourage you to squeeze it in when you can.

WOW! I'm jealous :-) I'd love 7 kids.
    You don't need classes. Buy a DVD or two and work out when you have a spare half hour. There are loads of workouts for free on exercisetv.tv and bodyrock.tv. If you don't feel like you can dedicate 30 minutes in a chunk, try this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/ If nothing else, do what I've been doing this week, and sneak off into the bedroom for 5 or 10 minutes at a time to do some jumping jacks, pushups, crunches, squats, and plants. Take a walk with the baby. Dance with the baby. Just MOVE.

I'm not having trouble finding the time. I work out 30-90 minutes every day for 5-6 days a week. I've got a good handful of workout DVD's of different varietys. I'm just talking abotu the monotony of doing the same DVD's (even if you have 10!) over and over. Baby and I go on walks, we also go on bike rides (that's fun -- lugging almost 35lbs with me! LOL) and she watches me workout happily.

Just looking for other mom's who are bored at home and wished they could take classes to GET OUT haha.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    My husband has the option of a gym b/c it's free thru his work. I do not. So yes at times I feel like you b/c I'm constantly with the kids. Last summer I lost 15 lbs simply by walking twice a day for a total of 6 miles..

Since joining last week I've lost 2 lbs and 2 inches. I'm walking 1-2 times a day, doing simple exercise I can do at home, a at home Pilates dvd, riding the bike, and when I clean I concentrate and do it for a consistent 45 mins so I can log it.. (I have a short attention span when cleaning and get easily distracted) I also have weights here at home..

It is hard to work out with the little ones. My son likes to try and jump on me lol but if you can't do it all at once just split it up.. Do what you can do to fit into your schedule even 5 mins here and there :D
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

I'm not having trouble finding the time. I work out 30-90 minutes every day for 5-6 days a week. I've got a good handful of workout DVD's of different varietys. I'm just talking abotu the monotony of doing the same DVD's (even if you have 10!) over and over. Baby and I go on walks, we also go on bike rides (that's fun -- lugging almost 35lbs with me! LOL) and she watches me workout happily.

Just looking for other mom's who are bored at home and wished they could take classes to GET OUT haha.

Ah, well that's a different matter entirely. hahaha :)
  • fairestthings
    Options
    My husband has the option of a gym b/c it's free thru his work. I do not. So yes at times I feel like you b/c I'm constantly with the kids. Last summer I lost 15 lbs simply by walking twice a day for a total of 6 miles..

Since joining last week I've lost 2 lbs and 2 inches. I'm walking 1-2 times a day, doing simple exercise I can do at home, a at home Pilates dvd, riding the bike, and when I clean I concentrate and do it for a consistent 45 mins so I can log it.. (I have a short attention span when cleaning and get easily distracted) I also have weights here at home..

It is hard to work out with the little ones. My son likes to try and jump on me lol but if you can't do it all at once just split it up.. Do what you can do to fit into your schedule even 5 mins here and there :D

Hubby has required PT time and works out anywhere from 1-2 hours 5 days a week -- and is training for a marathon so he only rests 1 day. I do not get his luxury LOL.

Sounds like what I'm doing :-) Just so BORED with it. Perhaps I take advantage of the library and start rotating DVD's more often.

LOL my daughter jumps on me a LOT when I do floor routines with her around. I just take it as added weight and more of a burn, although I have to watch my form or else I will pull a muscle.
  • BrownEyedDiva
    Options
    I'm a sahm in school/full time student. Can't really afford an expensive membership so I am just taking my son to the park and I walk the track for now
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Is there a group in your area for SAHMs? Check online. You could get to know them and that might help to get you out of the house. Also you could see about splitting the cost of a babysitter if another SAHM wants to go to the gym with you. I know that your child has special needs and there may be support groups in your neighborhood/town for that as well.
  • fairestthings
    Options
    Is there a group in your area for SAHMs? Check online. You could get to know them and that might help to get you out of the house. Also you could see about splitting the cost of a babysitter if another SAHM wants to go to the gym with you. I know that your child has special needs and there may be support groups in your neighborhood/town for that as well.

Our local SAHM group requires a $50/mo fee.

Our Down syndrome group is great for support, but it's been pretty much set that none of us will babysit for one another. Also, for some strange reason, we are the only 1 of 3 families in our suburb that has a child with Down syndrome. The others all live in a more congested suburb and think we live too far out :-/

LOL see my dilemma?
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am not a SAHM but i do have 2 special needs children. They are at school so i run in the day but i cant do classes at night because I have to be their for them. I also work shifts (mainly nights) and my husband works in the day. It takes a lot of planning but is achievable i like kettlbells and do my own programme with these and as i said before I also run. I do zumba on the Wii and core work from an iphone app. It takes motivation but is so worth it.
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Is there a MOPS group in your area? It does have a yearly membership fee (about $25) but if you can't afford it your group can usually work with you to get you a free or reduced rate. You can look for a local group at www.MOPS.org.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started watching videos on youtube to change it up....Zumba, dance, kettlebells, etc. I was a stay at home mom for years and know how it can get boring at times and hard to find time for yourself (even if you are "home" all day). I like the bike riding idea, we never tried that.
  • fairestthings
    Options
    Is there a MOPS group in your area? It does have a yearly membership fee (about $25) but if you can't afford it your group can usually work with you to get you a free or reduced rate. You can look for a local group at www.MOPS.org.

I forgot about MOPS. We haven't gotten into a church yet in our area. As you may have guessed, with a SAHM group costing $50/month, we live around a lot of very snobby people. (I will not pay to sit around and gossip!) Churches are hard to come by that aren't doing more than just humoring their wealthy congregation. We should get on that soon now that hubby is back on day shift! Thanks for the reminder.