Sketchers to pay $40M for "toning shoes" deceit

Options
secretlobster
secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
http://ftc.gov/opa/2012/05/consumerrefund.shtm

So apparently there are no such thing as magic exercise shoes?? You don't say!

Replies

• LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was stupid and bought the reebok version a couple of years ago. They made my *kitten* hurt the first time I wore them... and that's it. I think the idea of the shoe just makes people want to walk more, hence they increase their exercise, hence "toning".
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I fully admit I bought FitFlops back when I was still overweight but it was mostly because they are extremely comfortable... If it gets people to walk more that's one thing, but the exercise claims were so outrageous that I'm surprised it took this long for the FTC to demand they rescind them
  • brandalini
    brandalini Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe people bought into that...
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I thought they were just a fad when I first saw them and am secretly happy that the truth came out. Too many companies prey on overweight people with products like this. Only two ways to get fit- diet and exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/600367-so-how-many-mfps
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Whoops! I looked around and didn't see there was already a topic on this. Sorry
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So apparently there are no such thing as magic exercise shoes??

Lies!

ruby-slippers-wizard-of-oz.jpg
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Bahahahaha! Never bought into that fad, but did buy the sandals with bottle cap openers on the bottoms. :)
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bahahahaha! Never bought into that fad, but did buy the sandals with bottle cap openers on the bottoms. :)

What- how did I miss these? Do they have them for men too? lol
  • jennadaniele
    jennadaniele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    http://ftc.gov/opa/2012/05/consumerrefund.shtm

So apparently there are no such thing as magic exercise shoes?? You don't say!

^^THANK YOU!!! It's been SO annyoing see people, (particularly older overweight ladies) wearing these ugly shoes everywhere! The old fashion way of losing weight is the only sure and best way! Get active, eat right, drink gazillions cups of water LOL!
  • jennadaniele
    jennadaniele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So apparently there are no such thing as magic exercise shoes??

Lies!

ruby-slippers-wizard-of-oz.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!! ...Touche
  • azarazar
    azarazar Posts: 72
    Options

I gotta find me a pair of these. Perfect for a coollllddddd beer on a hhhooootttttt summer day.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I have a pair cause they're comfortable as hell. I don't use them for exercise though.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Options

I gotta find me a pair of these. Perfect for a coollllddddd beer on a hhhooootttttt summer day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP1SlvqFt1HNvEAxxQhaXGBXo6BtCuwtsIo8rgj2dyUyo922HvMA

Made By Reef Shoes
  • Foxypoo61287
    Options
    bottle-opener-flip-flops-reff-fanning-bottom-view.jpg
    for the girlies!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have toning shoes.... I don't know how much toning they are doing, but I do feel it in my calves.... I think they are meant for people who live around hills and have to walk to school some days.... up and down the hills.... >_> Or riding her bike.... hmm But yeah.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I have toning shoes.... I don't know how much toning they are doing, but I do feel it in my calves.... I think they are meant for people who live around hills and have to walk to school some days.... up and down the hills.... >_> Or riding her bike.... hmm But yeah.

I have the Sketchers toning ones too... I didn't buy them because I thought they would do miraculous things for me, I bought them because I needed a new pair of sneakers and I liked them. To buy a pair of shoes that you think are going to make you slimmer for wearing them is like buying a Diet soda and thinking you are going to lose 20# for doing so. Just my opinion :wink: