• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    tumblr_mv0ziwxu811stefago1_400.gif
  • Hiawassee88
    edited March 2023
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member

When I was a young Interior Designer, one of the young women I worked with had a small sailboat on Lake Minnetonka and would take us sailing. This song was popular then. It always reminds me of those times. Young and free.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited March 2023
    @snowflake954 You know a thing or two about horses. 🐴

We both know, training a horse takes a practical application of grit and grace. Take a horse that does not want to leave the arena or the ranch. They may be reluctant to go for a ride into the forest or out into the country. You can't spur that horse into submission without negative consequences. There are only choices and consequences in this life.

It's the same with health and fitness. We can take away one negative thing at a time, very slowly, and gently add a positive thing in its' place. Grit and Grace. We work on one negative habit at a time and put something positive in its' place. If you're used to sitting on the couch at the speed of zero, when you come home from work, watching TV until bedtime, take away one hour at a time.

Use that time to find exercise you like. Take it all back outside. Go for a walk, breathe. Get some fresh air and blow the stinkin' thinkin' off. Poor health is so patently unfair. We need to look waaaay down the road and see where we are headed.

Horses and mules know when we're blowing smoke. They can tell the difference between truth and lies. Wildlife knows, too. They've developed a fear of humans for good reason. When you slowly take away a negative behavior or habit, we have to give ourselves some grace...it's just like horse training. Reward the horse, curry that mule.

People throw in the towel. They give up on themselves, before the new habits have a chance to fall into place. That old dieting mentality is difficult to kick to the curb. You can hear it through the words. It's not gone. Someone may have tried to replace too many habits, all at the same time. It doesn't work with a horse, and it sure doesn't work with a mule. Once you've ruined a mule, they'll never have anything to do with you again. You'll have to sell or give them away. They will lay down in the dirt, before they'll ever have any dealings with you. They're done. Forever. Mules don't forget.

Horse and human training takes an application of grit and grace. Make a horse or mule feel special and there's nothing they won't do for you. Give their life, if they have to. Domestic critters and wildlife are the most honest creatures on the face of the earth. It's so patently unfair that they don't live as long as humans do.

Paw used to say, "You can't buffalo me". You couldn't, either.
  • Hiawassee88
    9387ed2609c30a0a7148264ac7f27295a837b76c.gifv
  • Hiawassee88
    96vgs1gm9htq.png
  • Hiawassee88
    r07rl1srnluy.png
  • Hiawassee88
    edited March 2023
    ikhmoq4128p1.jpg
    hf521u10k2d8.gif

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    You're right about horses--mules, I have no experience, but know they are tricky to work with.

Humans trying to change---you are so right. I see all these new posters and want to say "It's all in your head". But then they get mad. Addiction to food is the ..... thing out there. Someone has an interest. It came out in a thread clear as a bell--they're hoping for government funds to cure people of their addiction to sweets. Problem is, too many don't believe in it so the public must be convinced to get funding. If the masses are clamoring for it the government will cave. More money down the tubes. Try and convince a smoker or an alcoholic that they've got an addiction---they'll fight you tooth and nail. But everyone wants to jump on the sugar addiction train.

I truely believe that you can change or do almost anything if you do it gradually. We are in perfect synch on that one.

My newsfeed just said the first male grizzly was spotted in Yellowstone. Yahoo! Spring is on the way!
  • Hiawassee88
    aoh5go5we551.png
    17 hours ago
    Gradual changes can lead a horse to water, and long lasting adaptations. Even wild horses, provided with an opportunity, can make changes.