Words of encouragement!

Options
This is my 3rd go round with mfp. I get down 30 plus pounds and have an off day or nibble on the bad food my husband eats because he's not overweight as i am.. then i give up. Im looking for friends to motivate me & always give me encouragement as well as me do the same. :D:D i have a lot to lose.. and to maintain. It's not a diet. it's my lifestyle change.

Replies

• jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I understand completely! My husband IS as overweight as I am, but he isn't as stringent as I am, for sure. I've actually come to allow him to enable me: When I make four Stouffer's Stuffed Peppers, I let him eat 3, so I don't go back for a 2nd. When he gets an ice cream, I take a small bite. If they can't join you, then use them. It would be nice if he would support you and eat the same things as you, and for the most part, mine does (because I do all the cooking), but all it takes is for him to say "Do you want takeout?" and I have no control to say no (mostly because I'M sick of cooking!). BUT, I've stopped looking at takeout as a treat and begun looking at it as a viable part of our weekly meal plan... which means... yes, we will order Chinese, but I will order an appetizer and then take some of his General Tso's, instead of ordering my own. I will order a big salad from our favorite late night restaurant. But above all, one misstep in a given week, or even a bad overall week, doesn't provide reason to give up completely! Every day is a new day... I tell my 3 year old all the time "It was a rough day, we will try again tomorrow".
    Mostly, though, I've come to understand that my support is NOT from my partner, but from others who struggle the same as I. We are working mothers trying to fix everything, we are daughters with parents (who, on one hand, are concerned about us, but on the other hand, keep feeding us), and we are the friends who are the emotional support of everyone around us, looking for someone to support us. The support is here.
    When you want to pre-occupy yourself from a craving, get lost in the message boards. When you are feeling down about what you ate, look through your food diary and find your successes. And always remember that tomorrow is a new day.
  • Antonia2501
    Antonia2501 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    True on using them a ill. My bf came over with a slurpee last night and I told him I didn't want one. I had a tiny sip and it helped. I am in the same boat. Only one watching calories and I have done this before. Lost 30 lbs and gained 40. I have to have people to motivate me as well. That's why I'm here. :)
  • RichardCMolloy
    RichardCMolloy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm going for the "Lifestyle" change myself....slowely! I know me, if I do it too fast, it will not last.
  • swaney3
    swaney3 Posts: 12
    Options
    In our family I am the big one and my wife is the fit one... My weight has creeped up on me and I need to lose like 60 lbs... I too can use all the support I can get, and give as good as I get too...
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    I feel the same way. My boyfriends idea of a diet is cutting back to 3 pops a day! I hope everything goes well. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • decrepit1
    decrepit1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, this is my third go round! Have lost and gained 50 pounds, this is the third and last time! I have lost 47 pounds in the last year, and mfp has helped with the last of them, i really like being able to look at exactly what I am doing on a daily basis, it really helps. I have 3 more to go to reach my desired weight, and they have been the hardest, BUT if I can, all you can! My husband is a big eater, and this does not help, but in order for me not to blow it, we share stuff, like a piece of pie. I like pie, and do not want to say I can't have it ever again, that does not seem reasonable to me. It is so easy to gain, and hard to loose as we all know. I am determined this time. I think of carrying a 50 pound bag of dog food. Well that is not possible! It is to heavy! I would have the clerk carry it to my car! How did I carry it, and walk around?! I do get around so much easier now, and feel relief not carrying the 50 pound bag on my shoulders anymore, such a relief! When I feel like giving up, I go to the store, and try to pick up that 50 pound bag or dog food, and it is a pleasant reminder of what life used to be like! Keep it up all of you! This is not impossible, just different! Better!
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Please don't feel this is a 'diet' hop off, hop on, its a lifestyle change. Make small changes. Don't deny yourself anything and most of all...........................use all your calories! or you won't stick to it. Saving calories will only make you feel more open to temptation when it happens, believe me I have been doing this for just over 2 yrs. I save some calories and use some for Friday or the weekend and have a little treat.
  • Bizurnz
    Bizurnz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, feel free to add me people
  • jon40084
    jon40084 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • slimgal613
    slimgal613 Posts: 56
    Options
    You are so right about that. It is a lifestyle change and I am in the same boat. Husband and son eat whatever, I have to cook and cut back to my needs seperately. It's hard, really hard. But with determination, it can be done. Easier said that done, I know. I will encourage in whatever way I can.

:flowerforyou:
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am the same situation as you. Last year I have been working lot to get to my goal weight. When I was close I end up getting pregnant. I had my son 5 months ago. I am back on track and I started this web site in March. I feel like I am going through a big roller coaster getting rid of my pregnancy weight. There are times where I just give up. I would get frustrated with the work outs or my eating habits. I don't have any friends to work out. I pretty much work out by my self so there is lack of motivation for me. My husband is in the military so he does PT 5 days a week and working out is the last thing he wants to do on weekends. I need some motivation as well. :) Well feel free to add me if you like. :)