Do you eat all your calories for the day?

Options
13»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You will see the best results if you eat all your calories. I do. Of course you won't starve to death on 1200 calories but will you feel energy and motivated to exercise? Or will you be hungry and listless?

When I was eating 1200 calories a day it was pretty torturous. There is no good reason to eat under your target, because your calorie deficit has already been figured into your target calorie allocation. You don't get bonus points for eating under that.
  • eliza46142
    eliza46142 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic so diet and nutrition are pretty important to me. My personal practice is to eat at least 1200 calories and eat back any calories OVER 300 extra that I burn in exercise IF I feel hungry. My doctor gave me a ratio of protein to carbs to fat percentages and when I follow that as closely as possible, hunger rarely steers me wrong. Everyone is different, and you just have to find what works for you.:smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You will see the best results if you eat all your calories. I do.

Just because you do doesn't mean everyone does.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i try to stay under my calls each day, i dont eat my exercise ones and being a diabetic i had my blood sugar tested today and it was 4 yay the way i see it, when the body has burned the calls from what we eat it will burn the fat stored. simples eeek
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Your food diary. Hilarious that you are giving other people advice when you seem to regularly eat 1100 calories of just yogurt and chocolate.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Calculate....I'm at 1380 a day, 35, f, 138 lbs 5 4"...I dunno all that deficit stuff...told ya I'm too stoooopid.

Nah, you're not! I just wasn't sure which part you were talking about :) There's nothing to figure out, really. If that's what MFP gave you, I would aim to net that every day. When you go to your home page, on your daily summary all the way on the right it says how many you've net. So after you've entered your exercise calories, you might need to eat more to net more calories. I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor to get better accuracy on the calories you're burning if you can afford it.

Sorry if that was an over explanation, I was just trying to be clear! haha

Thank you!!!:happy:
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I eat about 1600 -1700 calories daily (some days more and somedays less depending on what I eat).
    Don't think I could survive on 1200 cals from all the intense workouts I do.
    My BMR is 1366.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back mine unless there is a REALLY big deficit. Am I wrong? I need to know as well....I didn't want to start a topic b/c it seems the "know-it-alls" on here point and laugh, or post stupid captions up to make fun of us who are new or misinformed. (Now I've opened up the floodgates for captions, I know, I know)

I would suggest you check out the eat more weigh less group. It's packed full of awesome info.

Thank you....and I'm sorry for hijacking this topic....
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    All this eating back calories and other stuff is such utter poop. I prefer to use the Mifflin-St Jeor calculator and work from there. If I don't lose then I reduce by 100 a week. If I'm losing too fast then I add 100 per week. Wow wee woo! Rocket science! People overcomplicate simple math. It's really no harder than that.
  • rml_16
    Options

Your food diary. Hilarious that you are giving other people advice when you seem to regularly eat 1100 calories of just yogurt and chocolate.

Please point to where I ate 1,100 calories of yogurt and chocolate. And, yes, two days this week, when I had very little appetite, I ate some chocolate (85% cocoa dark chocolate that contains 20% of my iron for the day and considering I'm vegetarian, that's important) and had yogurt after my workout in the evening. I fail to see how that's "regularly."

I also will point out that the only advice I gave in here was to eat if hungry. That doesn't negate the fact that just because what you do works FOR YOU that it means it will work for everyone.

The difference between my advice and yours is that I didn't say, "It will work for you because it works for me" and you did.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

What the frock is wrong with yogurt and chocolate? My goal is to fit as much chocolate as possible into my diet while still hitting my protein macro (true story: 6 hershey's special dark miniatures = 18g of protein), and to be able to drink at least 4 oz (but preferrable 8 oz) of wine every night, and I've recently added chobani to my diet because it's packed with protein (and then I like to put it on steriods by adding a scoop of powder to that bad boy), and I spike my protein shakes with sf instant chocolate pudding because it makes them smooooooooooooother. Hilarious that you are knocking other people's diaries because they regularly consume yogurt and chocolate.
  • rml_16
    Options

What the frock is wrong with yogurt and chocolate? My goal is to fit as much chocolate as possible into my diet while still hitting my protein macro (true story: 6 hershey's special dark miniatures = 18g of protein), and to be able to drink at least 4 oz (but preferrable 8 oz) of wine every night, and I've recently added chobani to my diet because it's packed with protein (and then I like to put it on steriods by adding a scoop of powder to that bad boy), and I spike my protein shakes with sf instant chocolate pudding because it makes them smooooooooooooother. Hilarious that you are knocking other people's diaries because they regularly consume yogurt and chocolate.

Especially considering her own diary isn't even public, so who knows what she's eating?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Especially considering her own diary isn't even public, so who knows what she's eating?

I really hope it's yogurt and chocolate.
  • jennyrae719
    jennyrae719 Posts: 129
    Options
    bump
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You will see the best results if you eat all your calories. I do. Of course you won't starve to death on 1200 calories but will you feel energy and motivated to exercise? Or will you be hungry and listless?

When I was eating 1200 calories a day it was pretty torturous. There is no good reason to eat under your target, because your calorie deficit has already been figured into your target calorie allocation. You don't get bonus points for eating under that.
    You don't get bonus points...but you do get a greater calorie deficit which, for many people, will result in a greater loss.
    Also, eating 1200 calories is really not hard for some people. I do it now and I'd hardly call it torturous.

Eat what you want, I really don't care either way, I just wanted to comment on a few points that you brought up.
  • rml_16
    Options

You don't get bonus points...but you do get a greater calorie deficit which, for many people, will result in a greater loss.
    Also, eating 1200 calories is really not hard for some people. I do it now and I'd hardly call it torturous.

Eat what you want, I really don't care either way, I just wanted to comment on a few points that you brought up.

I hope you haven't eaten any chocolate or yogurt today or she'll tear you right apart for that post!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

I hope you haven't eaten any chocolate or yogurt today or she'll tear you right apart for that post!
    No chocolate unfortunately, but I did have a greek yogurt with lunch today! :indifferent: