HELP! Why can i not lose weight?

Options
I had a baby boy at the beginning of march. I've been exercising since he was about three weeks old. i have gone from 3-4 days to 6 days a week. I've been at it for 6 days for about three weeks now. i just can't seem to lose the weight. i started at 166 and lost 5 lbs( guess i gained it back), but my weight keeps fluctuating between 165 and 170. I've been eating healthier and doing anything i can do, but the weight stays. any suggestions? I'm determined to lose the weight, but i'm getting discouraged. and it makes me very sad that I've been working so hard without results.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    A couple things:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

So you are set at .5 lbs/week, or at the MOST 1 lb/week in your Goals, right? If not, you may be eating too little, which is possibly stalling your weight loss.

Since you have a child and are going to school, set your Activity Level to Lightly or Moderately Active.
    Eat your exercise calories. At your point in the weight loss it's important.

Be patient.

Are you weighing all your food? Measuring all your liquids? It's really easy to make a few mistakes in eyeballing portions that can add up to several hundred calories a day to your actual totals.

Edit:
    p.s. you posted this in "Technical Support". If you don't get many replies you could try posting it in "General Weight Loss" or "Motivation and Support."
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I am no doctor, but you just had a baby very recently. I would think that your body's hormone levels have yet to return to their normal, not pregnant state, and that could easily account for weight loss issues. As I understand it, when you are pregnant your body gears up for storing as much nutrition as possible to pass along to the growing baby. It takes a while for it to go back to it's normal state.

Be patient, stick with it, and give yourself some time. It will happen.
  • boboaty
    boboaty Posts: 1
    Options
    What is your calculated BMR? You may need to adjust your calories lower because if you are eating maintenance level calories, then this could explain why you are having trouble losing weight.

It is really easy to go 100 to 200 calories over your target without even realizing it.

Here is an article I found on the exact topic that you may find useful: http://uncontrolledvocabulary.com/why-can-i-not-lose-weight/
  • anuzzie
    anuzzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My first time posting, but I had to reply with my own personal experience. I've had two kids and both times, it took me about 6-8 months to lose the baby weight. It is true that hormone levels are still fluctuating just a few months after giving birth. Also, if you are breastfeeding, you have to be careful about not cutting out calories too much. If you aren't breastfeeding, then you're free to exercise and diet as much as you want. =)

Also, lack of sleep can play a role in not losing weight! If your baby is already sleeping well, lucky you! If not, keep in mind that when you don't get enough sleep, your hormone levels have a tougher time balancing out.

Just be patient, and it will come off! You're doing all the right things, but you can't expect to lose in two months what took you 9 months to gain!

Anu
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your exercise routine daily.. I found that dancing works great for me.. :) I also lift a dumbell to tone my arms and right now I'm using a 5 lb one.. I'm currently 28 wks pregnant with my third child.. but second boy. :)
  • Jennalynna777
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? You might not see weight loss if you are toning, don't rely on the scale, it's a demon!!!