Net Cals, Cal Deficit, Excersize Cals!!! HELP!!!

Options
tyoung8
tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
Ok, Im a mess right now!!! yikes!!! I have been doing MFP for about three weeks now. I havent weighed myself because im scared ill be dissappointed. (sick right?) I dont know if I have lost or not but I can visibly tell a difference in my body. I work out 6 days a week. I walk /jog 2 miles Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. And do Kick boxing on Wednesday and Friday.

I eat a pretty low carb and low calorie diet but im not sure if im eating enough.

We all know that a calorie deficit= weight loss right? But im confused because I see so much encouragement to eat your excersize calories back. Doesnt that defeat the purpose of burning the calories?

Most days I eat around 1,000 calories but working out I loose at least 500-600 of those calories will that equal weight loss?

Replies

• Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No. 1000 calories is not enough on any day even if you sat on the sofa all day this would not be enough. You have to eat (on non exercise days ) your BMR calories. I then tend to eat about half of my burned calories back. Eating only 1000 calories a day will put your body into starvation mode. MFP has a tool to work out your BMR. Use this and please up your calories.

Its like the good old saying - you cant drive a car on an empty tank. This is what you are trying to do with you body by eating so little
  • tyoung8
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ok, Im a mess right now!!! yikes!!! I have been doing MFP for about three weeks now. I havent weighed myself because im scared ill be dissappointed. (sick right?) I dont know if I have lost or not but I can visibly tell a difference in my body. I work out 6 days a week. I walk /jog 2 miles Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. And do Kick boxing on Wednesday and Friday.

I eat a pretty low carb and low calorie diet but im not sure if im eating enough.

We all know that a calorie deficit= weight loss right? But im confused because I see so much encouragement to eat your excersize calories back. Doesnt that defeat the purpose of burning the calories?

Most days I eat around 1,000 calories but working out I loose at least 500-600 of those calories will that equal weight loss?

You are LITERALLY starving yourself. Look into Eat More, Weigh Less. There are a BUNCH of threads about this very topic:

what started me off:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

My Favorite thread (cause its mine :-) )
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586298-if-you-are-scared-to-increase-calories

And finally:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No. 1000 calories is not enough on any day even if you sat on the sofa all day this would not be enough. You have to eat (on non exercise days ) your BMR calories.

According to who?

What would happen to me if I did just sit around all day and eat only 600 calories a day? Would I lose weight?
  • kelzz193
    kelzz193 Posts: 120
    Options
    You definitely need to eat at least your base calories or your body will go into starvation mode! I typically eat half my exercise calories back too. It will take you time to figure out what your body ultimately needs. But in the process please up your calories to at least 1,200!
  • tyoung8
    Options
    Its so hard for me to eat more because im usually satisfied and dont want to eat until im stuffed. I do eat my three base meals Breakfast, lunch and dinner but I have minimal snacking in between which I will try to add. Feel free to take a look at my diary to see if I need to change any eating habits!!! Please all help welcomed. Im aiming to lose around 35 lbs.
  • Sepa
    Options
    No. 1000 calories is not enough on any day even if you sat on the sofa all day this would not be enough. You have to eat (on non exercise days ) your BMR calories.

According to who?

What would happen to me if I did just sit around all day and eat only 600 calories a day? Would I lose weight?

Your body would go into starvation mode. This will eventually lead to muscle atrophy (muscle wastage - as seen on severely anorexic people)

Your body burn calories all the time weather moving about or sitting doing nothing.
  • DB_1106
    Options

According to who?

Your body would go into starvation mode. This will eventually lead to muscle atrophy (muscle wastage - as seen on severely anorexic people)

Your body burn calories all the time weather moving about or sitting doing nothing.

So if my body goes into this starvation mode, that would mean what exactly? That I lose muscle and fat?

Doesn't the same thing happen as long as you are in a caloric negetive, whether you eat 1500 calories or 600?
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Its so hard for me to eat more because im usually satisfied and dont want to eat until im stuffed. I do eat my three base meals Breakfast, lunch and dinner but I have minimal snacking in between which I will try to add. Feel free to take a look at my diary to see if I need to change any eating habits!!! Please all help welcomed. Im aiming to lose around 35 lbs.

Of course you are satisfied. You have TRAINED your body to be full after a small amount of food. When I upped my calories I couldn't fathom stuffing 2500 calories a day in my pie hole. I was full after 1900 ( I was netting 1500-1800). Now that I have been feeding myself I am hungry every couple hours. My metabolism is a raging hot fire now :) I have WAY more energy and I work out harder because of it.
  • tyoung8
    Options
    Thanks a bunch for all the advice!! Im definately going to up my intake!
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    you gotta eat!!!! trust me i went a year very low calorie, didnt understand the whole eating back your calories thing until i did a lot of research, you gotta net atleast your daily requirment, right now im eating 1800 PLUS trying to eat back my exsersize calories, if you dont your body is going to store fat thinking its going into starvation and bam ridiculous pleateau status, but you gotta eat those calories back with healthy fats like avocodos, organic peanut butter, olive oil, work on getting those monousaturated fats in. its been hard but its working, my body is actually getting fed now.

research research research research!!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

According to who?

So if my body goes into this starvation mode, that would mean what exactly? That I lose muscle and fat?

Doesn't the same thing happen as long as you are in a caloric negetive, whether you eat 1500 calories or 600?

You really just like to stir don't you? Just do whatever works for you, and let other people do what works for them - you are special...
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with DavidOcean. If you are eating as low calories as you and and doing a lot of exercise you are, you will burn fat and muscle!

I've joined a low calorie (high protein ~110 g per day) weight loss ~1000 a day program and they said that if I do strenuous exercise I will lose muscle.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    add a full egg to your breakfast and have a protein shake befor/after your workouts with almond milk
  • Sepa
    Options

According to who?

If you start reading up on things you should never have negative calories. Like someone else has already said in this post though. You do seem like you like stirring!
  • DB_1106
    Options

According to who?

If you start reading up on things you should never have negative calories. Like someone else has already said in this post though. You do seem like you like stirring!

If you never have a defecit of calories, you will never lose any weight. I do not need to read up on anything to understand that one.

I am not stirring nothing, I am just trying to make light of what science is behind this 1200 calorie theory that everyone yells from the top of the mountain.
  • AimeeKessler
    AimeeKessler Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm living proof that this is true! After baby #3 I went right back to work (and nursing) and did not eat enough. (You're actually supposed to eat 300 more calories if you're nursing). The baby weight NEVER came off. My body went into starvation mode and stored all the fat.

I lost most of the weight the following year, after I joined Curves and did their 6 week solution, which set my metabolism straight. I lost about 12 pounds.

Today, I'm working out much harder, probably 5=7 times a week, but I've just started dieting b/c I'm trying to lose those last few pounds, which all settled into my belly.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    2 things in your diary really stick out to me:

1) What are you drinking? I saw one Diet Dr. Pepper and one day that you drank 8 oz. of water, but that's it. Make sure you are counting everything that you eat AND drink. You'd be surprised how drinks like sodas, juices, teas, etc. can add up.

2) There are several days where you are burning in excess of 1300 calories via exercise. What kind of exercise are you doing? It doesn't seem likely that you are burning that many calories via exercise and only eating 1000 calories. You would be exhausted and unable to function.
  • tyoung8
    Options

1) What are you drinking? I saw one Diet Dr. Pepper and one day that you drank 8 oz. of water, but that's it. Make sure you are counting everything that you eat AND drink. You'd be surprised how drinks like sodas, juices, teas, etc. can add up.

2) There are several days where you are burning in excess of 1300 calories via exercise. What kind of exercise are you doing? It doesn't seem likely that you are burning that many calories via exercise and only eating 1000 calories. You would be exhausted and unable to function.

I RARELY ever drink soda, tea or anything and If I do I make sure I log. I dont however always log all of my water because thats all I drink literally all day. And the days that I burn almost 1300 calories are the days that I do kickboxing.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I RARELY ever drink soda, tea or anything and If I do I make sure I log. I dont however always log all of my water because thats all I drink literally all day. And the days that I burn almost 1300 calories are the days that I do kickboxing.

I drink water all day long, too. I was hoping that was what was going on with you as well. If you drink any kind of alcohol be sure that you include that. You'd be surprised at the number of calories in booze!

I do, however, think you may be overestimating your caloric burn from the kickboxing. Is MFP giving you those numbers? Seriously, if you were burning >200% of your calorie intake you would not have the energy to do anything. Your net calories need to equal your BMR or TDEE in order for you to just survive. :-)