Have I plateaued or am I gaining more muscle?

Options
I know this may sound quite naive and more than likely really dumb - I'm still new to actually working out and not just basing everything on what the scale says! :)

I have definitely been working out more. Riding my bike on some decent rides (5-10+ miles each time) a few times a week and then walking around 4 miles the days I don't bike ride (at average 4 MPH while pushing my son in a stroller) . I have been eating a lot healthier - not *fully* vegetarian/vegan, but "flexitarian" on the days I do want meat. I've been eating quite pure and feel 1000% more mentally clear, happy and so much more energetic.

How ever, my scale hasn't budged for a while. I am not bummed out by this because I know I am fueling with some high nutrient food and have been working out.

So long story to the punchline - how do I know if I plateaued or am gaining more muscle mass?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump for you. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound quite naive and more than likely really dumb - I'm still new to actually working out and not just basing everything on what the scale says! :)

I have definitely been working out more. Riding my bike on some decent rides (5-10+ miles each time) a few times a week and then walking around 4 miles the days I don't bike ride (at average 4 MPH while pushing my son in a stroller) . I have been eating a lot healthier - not *fully* vegetarian/vegan, but "flexitarian" on the days I do want meat. I've been eating quite pure and feel 1000% more mentally clear, happy and so much more energetic.

How ever, my scale hasn't budged for a while. I am not bummed out by this because I know I am fueling with some high nutrient food and have been working out.

So long story to the punchline - how do I know if I plateaued or am gaining more muscle mass?

Thank you! :)
    Based on what you've put down as exercise, it's not muscle mass. You actually need a overload in resistance to produce that.
    You could be increasing in lean body mass though with denser bones and fluid retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend getting a tape measure, you could be losing inches!
  • randomnennie
    randomnennie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

I really do kick myself in the butt for not doing measurements when I first started. I did a test today and put on a pair of jeans that were not snug, but fit just right a month ago. They are SUPER baggy today all over the place. So it looks like I have been losing some inches