excercise 2 times a day?

Options
Does anyone excercise 2x a day? Is there any harm in this as far as overtraining or something? I usually work out about 1hr and 10 min or so in the morning, then again in the afternoon for 30 min to an hour, depending on the day. I find this has helped me get rid of some inches, and enables me to be able to have a glass of wine or 2 in the evening if I feel like it... just wondering if there is a downside to this that I haven't discovered yet....?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I can't see any harm in this lots of days I go for a 2 mile walk then in the afternoon I ride my bike for an hour and then do a family walk in the evening. My walks are not extremely intense but they are getting me out and about and moving.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your body gets plenty time to rest and recover, it should be okay.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you haven't discovered a downside by now you probably wont, hehe.
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    Go for it. Try not to burn yourself out, though!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do agree with Angieford01, you do not want to burn yourself out. There really is not a problem of you working out twice a day. I would recommend not doing two strength training sessions in one day. If you do workout twice a day, make sure to do cardio. Cardio helps burn a lot of calories. Strength training does too, but you need to make sure to rest your muscles you work for at least a day before doing the same strength training. You don't want to permanently tear your muscles.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I'vebeen going to Curves in the morning for about 3 1/2 months and the first of this month I started doing a Leslie Sansone walking video in the afternoon 2-3 times a week and walking at the store 2-3 times in the evening. So far I don't feel or see any ill effects (except tired feet:laugh: )> I will weigh and get measured tomarrow so I will let you know how the weight loss is affected.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Oh no - It's a great thing in my opinion. I walk 2-3 miles every morning - do the 30 day shred in the afternoon- swim at least an hour in the late afternoon and walk 2 more miles around 9 pm. I love exercise and being outside! Cindy :heart:
  • TaraDenise
    TaraDenise Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Everything that I've read says that as long as you're not doing strenuous exercise for more than 2 hours a day you should be fine. I usually work out for 1 hr in the morning and about 1 hr and 15 mins in the evenings, depending on my schedule. One of those workouts is a simple 3 mile walk. I workout 6 days a week, so I can see how my body might not have time to recover if I was doing strenuous exercise every day for over 2 hrs.
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options
    I can't see any harm in this lots of days I go for a 2 mile walk then in the afternoon I ride my bike for an hour and then do a family walk in the evening. My walks are not extremely intense but they are getting me out and about and moving.

Well- it's working for you if you've lost 20lbs !! Great job!:flowerforyou:
  • 2catowner
    Options

good point!:laugh: I noticed one evening my knees were a little sore, but I think I did a Billy Blanks Tae Bo video and am still getting used to using the correct form so I might have kicked a little "wildly" - I'm sure I look like a lunatic...:bigsmile:
  • 2catowner
    Options
    I'vebeen going to Curves in the morning for about 3 1/2 months and the first of this month I started doing a Leslie Sansone walking video in the afternoon 2-3 times a week and walking at the store 2-3 times in the evening. So far I don't feel or see any ill effects (except tired feet:laugh: )> I will weigh and get measured tomarrow so I will let you know how the weight loss is affected.

can't wait to hear about your results !
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    :smile: I usually work out several times a day. In the morning, lift or walk during lunch and take my dog for a long walk in the afternoons. I see nothing wrong with it and, hey, it beats sitting around and watching tv
  • ash1352
    ash1352 Posts: 9
    Options
    You can actually train too much. I am an overweight exercise science major and an athlete and I am losing weight rapidly for my body. I started working out two times a day, about an hour to two hours each and I was overtraining and I couldn't lose weight at all. I even reduced my calories per day, and instead helping me lose weight, I became really tired, and sick. You must watch what you are doing. Studies show, someone who works out at least 1 hr and 30 minutes a day for 4-5 times a week, will continue weight loss with a healthy diet. Try this, and make sure you are consuming plenty of water! Has worked for me. :wink:
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day but for much less time. I don't think it is the amount of time you workout but the stress you put on your body in that time.

I guess what I am saying is listen to what you body tells you. if you start feeling the aches in your joints or you feel tired run down during your exercises then you are probably overdoing it.

that only leads to burn out or injury or both.

otherwise give it hell.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

good point!:laugh: I noticed one evening my knees were a little sore, but I think I did a Billy Blanks Tae Bo video and am still getting used to using the correct form so I might have kicked a little "wildly" - I'm sure I look like a lunatic...:bigsmile:

Yeah, be sure to not hyperextend your joints with those kicks and punches.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I've been working out twice a day since January.( Not everyday, mind you). M,W,TH I break up my workouts, about 90 minutes AM and PM. T,F,S I'm doing long runs with yoga, pilates or abs after, for about 2 hours total. I also walk the dog, but don't really count that as a workout.
    Becky
  • Smeaders
    Smeaders Posts: 14
    Options
    :happy: I decided yesterday that i was going to start working out twice a day as well! So i'm glad to hear that somebody else is doing it. :flowerforyou:
  • LuvnMySoldier
    LuvnMySoldier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I JUST decided today that I am going to start doing cardio twice a day also. Glad I'm not alone...lol. Seems the more calories burned, the more successful a person should be! But remembering to always listen to the body and make sure it's not getting overworked....perfect!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I am also considering working out twice a day. I have this awesome workout called Core Rhythms. There is a 20 min workout that I can do in the morning and nite I will continue doing my P90X. I figure adding some extra cardio couldn't hurt.

Jennifer :0)~
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise twice a day, depending what I'm doing. I don't really have two clear hours to do one big long workout. It's been working fine!

I've also just started the Billy Blanks Tae Bo - the moves are okay but it's hard for me to get into the rhythm :embarassed: