Is it possible to lose body fat by only doing cardio?

Options
13»

Replies

• araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They've been very helpfull and the reason why i want to do cardio only is because i've always found weightlifting to be very boring. Is there anyway to do strength training without lifting weights? I heard that swimming is a good strength training exercise so maybe i'll try that

I HATE lifting weights. I have joined many gyms and have ended up not going because I hate it so much. I am a cardio fan. I however, have discovered yoga, which uses your body against itself. I have defintely toned up since I started. I just bought Jillian Micheal's yoga meltdown. It's more like a cardio yoga, and will tone you up. I have been doing yoga for a year, and after doing her meltdown today, my arms are sore, You can check out some free yoga videos on you tube, and all you need is the mat
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    People say that to lose body fat you need to mix cardio with weight training but is it possible to lose body fat by doing cardio only? Mixing weight training with cardio will probably get rid of body fat quicker but in the long run will cardio alone get rid of body fat?

Burn off more calories than you consume and you will burn off fat.

Whether you do cardio on its own, cardio and weights or weights on their own, it all depends on what calories you burn.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. However, as one poster said, weight training is important to maintain/increase muscle mass... That being said proper nutrition is also important for muscle increase/toning/etc.... Protein and the right carbohydrates are important as well. Also, without the weight training, you will fight some battles like sagging arms and such. A balanced exercise program is best for maximum results.
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

Explanations of exercise in order of difficulty (easy-hard)
    1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

I like how you have this all explained out because I would have no idea what you were talking about, lol WTG BTW!
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. They've been very helpfull and the reason why i want to do cardio only is because i've always found weightlifting to be very boring. Is there anyway to do strength training without lifting weights? I heard that swimming is a good strength training exercise so maybe i'll try that
    If you find weight training boring, you are probably doing it wrong (not lifting enough weight). I am pretty sure it is physiologically impossible to be bored when lifting extremely heavy things. Some people just don't like it, but most people I have met who claim it is 'boring' are not actually weight training, they are just moving light objects around pointlessly.

I'm sorry to say that I've been extremely bored even while lifting heavy (for me) weights with a trainer. The problem is that you have to focus on form and can't let your mind wander like when you're dancing or running to music. Thinking about the weight lifting makes it even more tedious to me. The only way I've found to make strength training is to take a Body Pump class where you only have to make it through the next song, there are lots of people doing it together and you have the instructor to watch for the form so it all makes it more interesting.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Good question. What's the best way to strength train at home without expensive equipment?

Body weight exercises. There are a ton of them out there, and if you need any equipment, is usually just a table or a chair. Combine that with a few weights, maybe a kettlebell or medicine ball, and you have your own gym!

I agree. There are several resources on body weight training. Search the forums for various workouts and websites.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    No it's not possible to lose fat with cardio, you need to weight train.......:devil: j/k
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Some of you have been curious about my workout that I used to lose the initial 35+lbs at home. Well, it was 100% bodyweight based, no weights. I'll lay it out here:

This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set (I use a FT7 HRM and keep my heart rate over 140). The explanations of the exercises you'll use for each group are farther below.

Workout A
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

Workout B
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

The nice thing about this routine is it scales dramatically depending on your fitness level. If you can't do even ONE regular pull up, you can scale it down and do assisted pull ups (legs on a chair), or ballistic pullups (where you jump to provide the initial momentum). It's actually easier to do properly when you're very unfit...because once you're healthy and strong...you're going to be searching for challenging enough exercises to only allow you 5 reps max by the finish of the 5 sets.

I like how you have this all explained out because I would have no idea what you were talking about, lol WTG BTW!

Glad you liked it! It's actually a very simple routine...but looks complicated when written out. It took me 30-45 minutes to complete it. I only worked out 3x a week during that period as well. And as I said...zero cardio.

Not only did I lose the fat...but obviously I maintained my existing mass.

Win/win.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you find weight training boring, you are probably doing it wrong (not lifting enough weight). I am pretty sure it is physiologically impossible to be bored when lifting extremely heavy things. Some people just don't like it, but most people I have met who claim it is 'boring' are not actually weight training, they are just moving light objects around pointlessly.

^^this...I get bored so fast doing cardio, but weight training is actually fun. It's kind of like a competition with yourself, and you're constantly doing something different rather than the monotonous hour on the treadmill or elliptical.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Good question. What's the best way to strength train at home without expensive equipment?

There are tons of body weight exercises

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm

FitDeck cards are fun
    http://fitdeck.com/fitness-bodyweight-only/office/
    http://fitdeck.com/fitness-bodyweight-only/travel/
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I DETEST weight training. It *hurts*...and I don't like pain. :D

Unfortunately for me, I can't argue with the results. I'd much rather do cardio. You know, work up a nice lather of sweat while I'm reading a book on my iPad. Good times....but in order to get my shape in...well...shape, I have to lift. Bah. ;)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

Body weight exercises. There are a ton of them out there, and if you need any equipment, is usually just a table or a chair. Combine that with a few weights, maybe a kettlebell or medicine ball, and you have your own gym!

Definitely.

Here's an excellent example of a home based STRENGTH training workout for you:

Workout A
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5

Workout B
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5

That program took me from this:

7434194_8492.jpg

To this:

7434194_7770.jpg

In just three months. That's basically 40lbs of fat.

I performed no cardio whatsoever, other than occasional tabata format intervals on my 100lb heavy bag.

Thanks for this!! Love it b/c I have to workout at home!! :)
  • lowbpoint
    lowbpoint Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    for at home work out, not sure if this has been posted on this thread yet, i kind of skimmed, but this is right kicking my butt (haha just like the title of the blog, didnt notice that at first)

http://fitnessblackbook.com/workout-routines/body-weight-circuits-are-kickin-my-butt/