zumba

Options
how many calories do you burn doing 45 minutes or 60 minutes of zumba

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    go to www.zumbacalories.com

There you can put in your info and get a ball park of calories burned.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    go to www.zumbacalories.com

There you can put in your info and get a ball park of calories burned.

This will not be accurate at all but if you like to guess, choose low and then subtract 50-100.

Get yourself a good HRM with a chest strap -- everything else is a guess and probably WAY OVER what you'll actually burn.
    With my HRM I burn 350-650 but I've been doing Zumba for over a year 3-4x week -- the more fit you get, the less you burn sadly.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I can burn anywhere from 350 to 1000 depending on how hard I'm working out. This is per my HRM but zumbacalories.com will give you an average for your weight.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    50 minutes of moderate intensity puts me around 480 calories per my HRM. I'm 39 and 172 lbs with a resting HR of 58 bpm.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Get a heart monitor, that is your most accurate way to tell. One day I burned only 429 for 60 minutes. The next week I burned 519 for 65 minutes. It all depends on how high impact you go.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i really dont think zumba burns as many calories as that calculator is guessing. zumba is pretty low impact.
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I feel like I work like a dog at Zumba! BUT I am *very obese* and out of shape.

The first few times I did Zumba classes, I logged it as "Aerobics" and burned 800-900 calories per MFP.

This week, I've done it twice with my HRM. Monday was 70 minutes at 951 cals burned. Wednesday was 63 minutes with 1001 cals burned.

The calculator link estimated 1058 for 63 minutes for me.

Maybe it's closer to accurate for the *very obese*?

Anyway, I sweat up a storm (yeah, that's right, fat, cry! cry!) and I can tell a difference in my body already -- after just two weeks.

LOVE!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not obese and in 60 minutes of Zumba (live class, not DVDs), I usually burn at least 800 calories. But it's all based on intensity. I could easily slack off and only go half-intesity and burn probably 400 calories.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm not obese and in 60 minutes of Zumba (live class, not DVDs), I usually burn at least 800 calories. But it's all based on intensity. I could easily slack off and only go half-intesity and burn probably 400 calories.

Totally agree with this. I burn if I am really working it out 800-900 in an hour (in just all Zumba). Wednesday I went to class and was a little tired so didn't push hard only about 700. There are a lot of factors. I wear 2 HRM's not at the same time but alternating just to get an average for my own records. Both are very similar. I have been doing Zumba since 2008 and found the most awesome instructor that really pushes us. I had a friend come to class with me (she goes somewhere else) and she said my instructor is wayyy more intense than hers. So it also makes a different who is "teaching" the class. But modifying moves to get more intensity or less is what I usually do depending on how I feel. OH and I take Zumba 4-5x a week. I also doing Zumba Toning which is where I get less burn but still a nice workout.
  • mford59
    mford59 Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks everyone! i've been doing zumba for almost two years at 2-4 times a week also and some days I feel like I've worked harder than others. The instructor tells us we can burn up to 900 calories. Keep up the good work everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • mford59
    mford59 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you and i totally agree with you. It depends on the instructor. I go two different places and once works out more intense than the other. then there's an instructor who fills in who is slow and has not rhthym -- I get disgusted and go on the treadmill :)