Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Feeling fatigued after upping calories?

Hello, I reached my goal weight a few weeks ago, and have been eating at my maintenance calories (1600-1660) since then. Have had no trouble maintaining (haven't lost or gained any weight). However, I have noticed that I have been more fatigued when running. I am training for a half marathon (currently running 4-4.5 miles 4-5 days per week), and have been getting fatigued much quicker than before, when I was eating at lower calories. What gives? Since I have also been strength training, I set my ratios at 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I am usually within 10g of my carbs and fat, but usually 20-30g away from eating enough protein, even with adding a protein shake. Could I possibly need to eat even more calories than MFP set me at for maintenance? Should I tweak my ratios to add more carbs for energy? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also - making my diary public after I post this :) Some days are better than others....

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    You could just be fatigued because . . . you're training for a marathon. Just a guess :wink:

But seriously, yes, you could need more. The ideal place to find is the highest amount of calories you can consume while maintaining. Since you're good at 1600ish, you could try bumping 100 calories at a time, each for a few WEEKS and see how it goes. Don't assume it's not working if you gain a bit temporarily . . . give it a few weeks so you can see.

My BMR is 1317, and my TDEE is 2271. I found I can maintain my weight by eating all the way up to 2300; so I do.

blessings.