Moral Dilemma - Skechers Shape-Ups

Options
124»

Replies

• Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I got some Tone ups last year and they were spendy. How do I go about getting a refund?

Bump
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    *smh* Where is the common sense? The claim that the Sketchers shoes are going to tone your butt is a claim that is too good to be true... so why in the heck would anyone believe that? Personally, I feel as if it's rewarding the gullible.
    Skechers provided false scientific data. Consumers took it as fact. That is why they got dinged.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Not false. This was not a class action suit.

The settlement came from an FTC investigation, which included multiple states' attorneys general. Consumers can join class action suits that will undoubtedly crop up as a result of this settlement with the FTC.

(scampers off again)

SWEET. You're right!

I bow my head to you.

Keeping the lawyers out. Excellent!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't... this lawsuit is for those that believed that the shoes would magically make you look like Kim Kardashian or Brooke Burk without any other exercise or diet... Right up there with the people that believed a chocolate spread was nutritional and that the crunchberries in Cap'n Crunch actually contained berries.

I ACTUALLY had to explain to my SIL that choco spread is NOT healthy. I nearly smacked my forehead when she said "but it has all those nuts!"

*lol* With that reasoning then peanut m&m's are perfectly healthy then. :tongue:
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I got some Tone ups last year and they were spendy. How do I go about getting a refund?
    http://www.skecherssettlement.com/
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    http://www.skecherssettlement.com/

And/or http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/cases/skechers/index.shtm
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pair... I def "felt" more muscles after wearing them the first couple weeks. I wear mine everyday and really
    like them. Would'nt be right to claim anything.......
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    *smh* Where is the common sense? The claim that the Sketchers shoes are going to tone your butt is a claim that is too good to be true... so why in the heck would anyone believe that? Personally, I feel as if it's rewarding the gullible.
    Skechers provided false scientific data. Consumers took it as fact. That is why they got dinged.

But even while Sketchers were providing false scientific data, there were other sources that provided facts to the contrary... it was in every women's magazine and lifestyle website that I frequently read (which includes Self, Glamour, Yahoo! Shine and others)... Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Oz said something against them as well... So in my opinion, if people are not willing to look into more than just the advertizing claims on tv, then they are gullible and I have ocean front property in Arizona.
  • rainedragon
    rainedragon Posts: 7 Member
    Options

But even while Sketchers were providing false scientific data, there were other sources that provided facts to the contrary... it was in every women's magazine and lifestyle website that I frequently read (which includes Self, Glamour, Yahoo! Shine and others)... Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Oz said something against them as well... So in my opinion, if people are not willing to look into more than just the advertizing claims on tv, then they are gullible and I have ocean front property in Arizona.

The whole idea of a false advertising claim, is that if you are selling a product, you shouldn't lie about what it does. So there shouldn't have to be studies and articles published by third parties. Especially, when it's assumed that the company, who has a vested interest in the product has done more extensive studies to verify their claims, as per the legal requirements.
  • bpbailey
    bpbailey Posts: 1
    Options
    You should absolutely file the claim. Do you think corporate America (including Sketchers) weighs their moral values before they do everything in their power to wedge your dollars out of your wallet? If you do, I have some swampland in Florida you might be interested in purchasing. Sketchers knew what they were doing when they manipulated their advertising for these shoes...and, it worked. They are the number one toning shoe retailer in the world (look it up).

By the way, the form is very simple and quick to complete online. It took me about 2 minutes. The $40 million is going to be paid out whether you file or not.

https://skechers.action-settlement.com/
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    I experienced a stress fracture after I bought a pair of Shape-Ups. I'm not a part of this lawsuit and actually chalked the fracture up to bad luck. I still don't know how I managed to hurt myself wearing shoes but I didn't do anything else to cause it so I do believe it's from them. Anyway - I'm healed and the shoes are gone. I wouldn't be interested in being hassled to go through the lawsuit process.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    According to an AP article yesterday, "Skechers USA Inc. will pay $40 million to settle charges by the Federal Trade Commission that the footwear company made unfounded claims that its Shape-ups shoes would help people lose weight and strengthen their butt, leg and stomach muscles." People who file a claim under the proposed settlement can receive refunds of up to $80.

Here's the dilemma:

On the one hand, I was influenced to buy a pair of Shape-Ups partly due to they're advertising claims. On the other hand, I have actually lost a considerable amount of weight and developed muscle tone while wearing these shoes. On the THIRD hand, there's no way to know what role (if any) these particular shoes played in motivating me to walk more and get in shape. I HAVE found the shoes to be very comfortable for extended walking and would buy them again for that reason.

So - if YOU were in this situation (or if you ARE in this situation), do you file a claim for a refund?

Basically, everything you said, applies to me. I bought a pair of shape up not long after I first logged into MFP. Walking in them was a little unusual at first, but I liked it. It almost felt like a slightly unbalanced feeling. But, after the shoes became well worn, that sensation decreased. Or, maybe I just got used to them.

At any rate, I lost my first 30lbs while wearing those shoes. I also did some form of exercise almost every single day. I ate well also. So, I am pretty sure it was the over all change in lifestyle that did the trick. Not the shoes so much.

I won't file a claim. While I don't think anyone should be able to make false claims about their product, I also think people are way too quick to file law suits over frivolous things these days. Besides, I have moved on to different shoes already.

Michelle
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I just want to smack my head against the wall out of pure frustration with some people's absolute inability to think for themselves....
    Shoes will make my butt look better...Fast food won't make me fat if I eat it all the time....
    What happened to common sense....and then the absolute " i need compensation because I was too stupid to think for myself attitude....
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    The whole idea of a false advertising claim, is that if you are selling a product, you shouldn't lie about what it does. So there shouldn't have to be studies and articles published by third parties. Especially, when it's assumed that the company, who has a vested interest in the product has done more extensive studies to verify their claims, as per the legal requirements.
    Something that made this especially egregious is that they were health claims, bringing upon them the wrath of the FTC.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I bought Shape-up Toners because the soles had a lot of spring in them & they were comfortable. I admit the first few times out walking my calf muscles were a bit sore but that soon disappeared. I like them, wear them everywhere & would buy another pair. I also hope that "I'M NOT" going to get a butt like Kim K just because I like them. LOL! :laugh:
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I experienced a stress fracture after I bought a pair of Shape-Ups. I'm not a part of this lawsuit and actually chalked the fracture up to bad luck. I still don't know how I managed to hurt myself wearing shoes but I didn't do anything else to cause it so I do believe it's from them. Anyway - I'm healed and the shoes are gone. I wouldn't be interested in being hassled to go through the lawsuit process.
    Joining a class action suit requires about 5 minutes of your time. That's the point. You pool yourself with others, saving you time and money.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    "On the one hand, I was influenced to buy a pair of Shape-Ups partly due to their advertising claims. On the other hand, I have actually lost a considerable amount of weight and developed muscle tone while wearing these shoes"

These shoes do not have any properties to tone you up beyond those of regular shoes.
    The price of the shoes reflected the fraudulent marketing claim -- which means the price of the shoes was inflated.
    So if you bought them hoping for an edge in getting in shape, you were defrauded. In other words, regardless of your results, you overpaid based on the vendor's lies.

Ethically, you are entitled to submit a claim because you are part of a class of people who were defrauded.

These shoes were a placebo, and your experiencing the placebo effect does not endow the shoes with the miraculous properties they claimed. You were still defrauded. Submit your claim.
  • MsFargo
    MsFargo Posts: 27
    Options
    What if everyone filing for a refund actually WORKED for the money instead? I bet in the end, the time spent on getting an $80 refund will result in less dollars per hour "earned" than working those same hours at a real job.

If it was me, I'd just admit that I was "duped" by the advertising and try to ensure that I don't get made a fool of again.

My opinion...for what it's worth!
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Then people should be suing a WHOLE hoop of companies... the beer and car commercials that advertise how sexy/cool you will be when drinking/driving their product (eta: Not at the same time I would hope).... the cosmetic commercials that will "reverse the aging process".... Hell, even the Suave commercials that claim their product is just as good as the higher end shampoos (even though it dries hair out like crazy).... People wouldn't buy products if there weren't some trumped up claims that it's going to make you look/feel/act better than you are right now. People need to use these things called discretion and common sense (ie their brains)...

And we are advertised false health claims every day... from the superfood and diet of the year to these stupid shoes to exercise regimens.... and they work... like a charm... every time. Why? Because we are a population that is prodominately fat and/or lazy.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I like them, wear them everywhere & would buy another pair.

Not with everyone else having their say and trying to get a refund, you won't. You can't exercise choice and keep buying these things - they won't be available to purchase!