Anybody Using FitBit?

Options
fdny9943
fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
I posted this on the exercise forum but got no responses. I was just wondering if anybody uses/likes the FitBit or BodyBug?

So how accurate are they? Is it really worth it to get one and how accurate are you at counting your calories anyway? I just use what the machine at the gym estimates and although I know they are not accurate they allow me to measure my progress to see if I am making progress or slacking off.

I did 50 minutes of weight training yesterday doing 11 different exercises, 3 sets each and minimum of 10 reps per set and MFP only credited me with 373 calories. That can't be accurate. Would FitBit even calculate that or do I need one of those BodyBugs they use on Biggest Loser?

Bottom line, is the FitBit a useful tool and worth the price?

Replies

• Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I know a fitbit is good at counting steps. An HRM might be a better option for strength training, but even then an HRM is monitoring your heart rate and unless it's in the "zone" it may not be calculating properly. This is why I have so many gadgets, I can't find a one gadget fits all! I use my HRM for Zumba, bike riding etc, I use my fitbit for my daily steps, walking etc. I looked at the bodybug, but I didn't like the fact that there was a monthly service fee associated with it (fitbit has an optional "premium" fee, but it's not required and from what I've read not really worth the fee any way since the free one gives us what we need). And an HRM is not good at monitoring routine daily steps (your heart rate needs to be elevated).

I have found that my HRM is pretty close to what the machines say though.