Constant hunger...does it ever end?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat smaller meals/snacks more often. I find if I keep a lunch box full of healthy snacks with me and eat one like every hour and a half or so, I'm not as ravenous as I can be.

I have a fruit.
    Then a while later I'll have nuts.
    Then a while later I'll have a cheese stick and pretzels.
    Then a while later I'll have a protein bar if I'm not back at home yet.

This works really well for me. I'm always hungry, but if I snack all day, I'm not as hungry. Then by the time I get off work and work out, I can have a protein shake and a BIG dinner.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding. I'm eating 1,200 calories a day. I drink only water or tea, so that helps keep me full some of the time. From reading your posts I think it's a combination of my body panicking because I'm not eating as much as I used to and also that I'm not eating a lot of foods filled with protein. I need to go buy some protein bars and also eat less bread/chips/sweets.

This could be your problem. 1200 calories is often way too low for most people. Contrary to all the fad diets out there, you do not have to starve yourself to lose weight. Check out the group Eat More to Weigh Less!

In the mean time, calculate your BMR and eat that amount of calories. Calculate TDEE and eat 10-20% less than that amount. I'm guessing it's more than 1200 calories. Also make sure you are getting the right kind of food!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry there are two things that could be going on..

1. you are not eating enough
    2. you are not eating high quality foods that keep you full. Think of eating protein (chicken, beef, fish, eggs) first and foremost and cut down on processed stuff (i.e. things in a box like cereal, pasta, bread, chips). Veggies are good at keeping you full too.
    This. I know I'm hungry if I eat a lot of cereal and breads but if I eat more protein and veggies, I'm not as hungry even if I eat the same amount of calories.

@OP: What type of foods are you eating?

If you're eating a lot of cereal, you're probably eating cereal that is higher in sugar which will break down quickly and keep you hungry.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding. I'm eating 1,200 calories a day. I drink only water or tea, so that helps keep me full some of the time. From reading your posts I think it's a combination of my body panicking because I'm not eating as much as I used to and also that I'm not eating a lot of foods filled with protein. I need to go buy some protein bars and also eat less bread/chips/sweets.

There's your answer right there - you are only eating 1200 cals a day which is an unneccessarily low amount for most people.
    Try recalculating you goals with a more realistic weight loss goal, eat the calories you burn exercising and you'll most likely feel a whole lot better and still lose weight.