Started weight lifting with no change...now what???

Options
I have lost 161 lbs over the last 18 months and have 15 more that I need to lose.

I plateaued in January and feel as if I have tried everything to get the scale and tape measure to more again with no luck!

I have increased cardio, added strength training 3 days/wk, increased calories, increased protein, decrease sodium, decreased carbs.

And NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has budged. I haven't lost or gained. I have flutuated between the same 2-3 lbs every day for the last 4 months.

S-o-o-o-o-o frustrating!

The only thing I haven't tried is intermittent fasting and I am considering that even though I know people will bash me for starving myself. Don't know what else to do.

Replies

• GinaKB12
    GinaKB12 Posts: 12
    Options
    Did you increase your calories? You may not be eating enough calories...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting has nothing to do with starving yourself. You still reach the same DAILY calories, just in a shorter time window.

When is the last time you ate at maintenance?
  • free2live72003
    Options
    yes
  • free2live72003
    Options
    seems i am eating at maintenance since nothing is changing
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    define 'strength training.'

IE: What are you doing, how heavy, and how often do you increase weight?
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Take a week off and eat the same.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I am working with a personal trainer every M-W-F for 30-45 min each session. Been doing this for 5 weeks.

I am 52 years old, so no young chick.

We alternate days doing upper body and core one day, the lower body and core the next day.

My personal trainer started me out light with one set of each exercise at 8-10 reps to just see what I was capable of.

Now lifting 2 sets of 15 reps upping weights periodically to failure at 8-10 reps.

Progressing reasonably I think given my age and well worn joints.

Just can't believe that with this much effort I am not seeing some kind of results on scale or tape measure.

Everything i have read made me think that this was the one component that I really needed to add and that I would begin to see results fairly soon.

I don't get it??????
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You've already lost 160 lbs. It gets harder when you are leaner and you have to make less mistakes.
    Read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    The last few pounds are the hardest to lose. Take a breather for a week or two. Do something you like. Take your mind completely off calories and exercise. It could be the stress of losing thats not letting you lose. good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You've already lost 160 lbs. It gets harder when you are leaner and you have to make less mistakes.
    Read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

This. Take a diet break for a few weeks.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    When you say upper ody, do you mean: Bench and overhead press, rows? Or do you mean curling machines and machine press? It makes a difference.

LEgs... Squats and deadlifts, or leg extensions? Again, makes a difference.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Also, I suggest taking measurements. Sometimes the scale does not move but you may have lost two inches on your hips or your thighs... sometimes you body loses inches in places you don't notice. Take pictures once a month or every 2 months and take your measurements. If you are doing it right... it will work... just have patience.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Have you shared your problem with your personal trainer? They will have better suggestions than any of us.

But congrats on the 160 lbs. You lost more than I weigh. That's huge! I'd take a few weeks off, eat at your maintenance, then decrease again. I really don't think upping cardio will help, make sure you have at least one rest day (which means no exercise), your muscles need a break.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    OP at this point you should stop cutting and do a lean bulk and then cut again. But I also agree with foster that a tape measure is more important than the scale from here on out.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    How much did you up your calories. Maybe you are eating at maintenance for you. I was eating at MFP's recommended calories to lose .5lbs a week and I was eating back my exercise. I realized I was slowly slowly gaining. I now eat at MFP's recommended maintenance calories but do not eat back my exercise. I stopped looking at net and started eating just 1700 a day total. I still workout 5 days a week. That did the trick for me.
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump, Interested in this as well!
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I take measurements first of every month, no significant change in 4 months.

Weight lifting is mainly free weights-squats, bench presses, curls, etc. on two machines (lat pull and a rowing-type, not sure of name)

My personal trainer is a well respected strength trainer in our area and has in the past won world championships in deadlifts, bench etc. He seems really knowledgable, just feels we need to give it more time.

Just can't figure why it seems to work so well for some and my body just refuses to respond.

Yes, I am starting to whine!::sad:
  • free2live72003
    Options
    meant to say---only two weight machines (lat pull and rowing type that works shoulder blade area
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have lost 161 lbs over the last 18 months and have 15 more that I need to lose.

I plateaued in January and feel as if I have tried everything to get the scale and tape measure to more again with no luck!

I have increased cardio, added strength training 3 days/wk, increased calories, increased protein, decrease sodium, decreased carbs.

And NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has budged. I haven't lost or gained. I have flutuated between the same 2-3 lbs every day for the last 4 months.

S-o-o-o-o-o frustrating!

The only thing I haven't tried is intermittent fasting and I am considering that even though I know people will bash me for starving myself. Don't know what else to do.

If you added strength training I would have decreased cardio not increased, as the cals used in cardio are being taken away from repairing and rebuilding muscles.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

S-o-o-o-o-o frustrating!

When I start lifting weights - I gain weight for a short period of time. I don't see any loss for 4-6 weeks. Have you ever lifted weights before? It is possible - very possible that you will all of a sudden start to see a change. I say keep going and stop changing things for a while.